Nba says no to clippers Empty Nba says no to clippers

Post by dboss Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:46 pm

This is crazy
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Nba says no to clippers Empty Re: Nba says no to clippers

Post by gyso Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Actually, the Clippers said no to the NBA.

The Los Angeles Clippers rejected NBA commissioner David Stern’s steep demands to complete a trade for New Orleans Hornets All-Star guard Chris Paul, and talks of a blockbuster deal perished on Monday afternoon, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

and

The Clippers and Hornets had been discussing a package that included players such as Eric Gordon, Eric Bledsoe, Chris Kaman, Al-Farouq Aminu and a 2012 unprotected draft pick via the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The Clippers resisted parting with Gordon, sources said. Management had been promising the talented young shooting guard that it would not include him in any deal to the Hornets for Paul, sources said.

Paul had expressed a desire to be moved to the Clippers, and the franchise would have had an excellent chance to sign him to an extension after he opts out of his current deal at the end of the 2011-’12 season, sources said.

The Los Angeles Times first reported that the two teams were on the verge of a deal.

Agents are finding it increasingly difficult to negotiate even minor deals with the Hornets’ front office. They’re struggling to get clear answers, and a belief that Demps doesn’t have the authority to make even minor signings to augment a depleted, non-NBA-caliber roster beyond the starting five.

“Stern has made them inoperable,” one prominent agent told Yahoo! Sports. “I’ve given up trying to do anything with them until the Paul situation is resolved. It’s very unfair to Dell.… Very unfair what the league is doing to him right now.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuqnWYMPbGIbAgvsGMzNsfa8vLYF?slug=aw-hornets_clippers_paul_trade_121211

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Stern upped the ante and wanted Eric Gordon and maybe more. Clippers said,

NO!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Teams are going to soon start checking their called ID before they answer to see if it is Mr. Stern and his NBA Hornets...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Dunno.

OK so the Hornets are asking for quite a bit but I still dont know if it is totally unreasonable.

They would have received a one hit wonder center and two dubiously talented young players. The draft pick from Minnesota is what is valuable to the Hornets (the rest (as in same level) they could pick up next year from free agency more or less if necessary).

Gordon + the draft pick could be something but then they were not interested.

The Lakers were at least willing to sacrifice things, the Clippers were mostly sending scraps + draft pick IMO.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:37 pm

The thing is, what is the market for Paul, knowing that he's an unrestricted free agent after this season? What are they waiting for, Chicago to trade Rose and Noah for Paul? Does Stern turn down all deals and get nothing for Paul when he leaves after this season? That seems to be the road they're going to take.

If they wanted value, they should've taken Odom, Scola, Martin, Dragic, and draft picks. Are the Clips supposed to trade Gordon (rising young stud), Kaman (good but oft-injured center in a league with few good centers), Bledsoe (good backup PG), and what could be a top-3 pick in next year's killer draft? What they offered (Aminu, a young player with a good future, instead of Gordon) was reasonable considering Paul may be a one-year rental.

When offered a bunch of stars (not superstars, but stars) in the Laker-Rockets deal, Stern said he wanted youth and draft picks for the future. When offered youth and a great draft pick, he apparently turns it down because it doesn't include stars. So apparently unless someone comes up with young stars plus draft picks, Stern won't okay it. They should just say he's off the market, since no one will rationally agree to Stern's terms.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:52 pm

I think he might have agreed to Gordon/Aminu/Bledsoe + draft pick, maybe Jordan in there instead of aminu.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:31 pm

swedeinestonia wrote:I think he might have agreed to Gordon/Aminu/Bledsoe + draft pick, maybe Jordan in there instead of aminu.
Swede,

If he wouldn't agree to that, he'd have to be considered certifiably insane. If I was the Clippers' GM, I wouldn't trade Gordon for Paul straight up. Paul's knee is a big concern to me, and I've watched Gordon a lot over the past couple of seasons, and this guy is becoming one of the best 2-guards in the league. Gordon is a rising star with a long career ahead, while Paul probably has a limited shelf life. The Clips may have a decent shot at signing him as a free agent after this season, without trading away anyone.

I know your argument is that Paul is an exceptionally valuable asset and that the Hornets should expect exceptional assets in return, and you're right. But free agency looming so near significantly weakens his market value in a trade. The Hornets need to get something for him or risk losing him for nothing. So how much can they get for him? What the Clips offered was far better than nothing, but with Stern killing every deal, my guess is that nothing is what they will wind up with.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down