IS THIS GUY RIGHT? Ainge Missed His Chance To Blow Up The C's

+3
gyso
MDCelticsFan
7 posters

Go down

IS THIS GUY RIGHT? Ainge Missed His Chance To Blow Up The C's Empty IS THIS GUY RIGHT? Ainge Missed His Chance To Blow Up The C's

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Rich Levine CSNNE

January 17, 2012, 7:38 am

Last night brought another frustrating loss to the TD Garden, and with it another excuse to sit back and wonder what's happened to the Boston Celtics.

Actually, that’s not true. Deep down, we already know what happened. We know how and why the Celtics ended up here — at 4-8, freezing off a five-game losing streak, a four-game home losing streak and a bunch of other accolades that we haven’t seen since the days of Sebastian Telfair.

We’re just not sure what it will take for things to get better. How much longer it will be, or how much worse it will get before this depressing vibe develops into something that resembles even a shadow of the optimism that’s surrounded this team for the last four years.

But just for kicks, let's ask the question: How did the Celtics get here?

The answer: Danny Ainge held on too long.

It’s funny, because from the second Ainge pulled off the deal for Kevin Garnett, and hitched the Celtics wagon to three superstars on the tail end of their super-stardom, we were assured that this is exactly what wouldn't happen. As the story went, Ainge had witnessed first hand the deterioration of the first Big 3. Even at the time, he'd thought Red Auerbach was too loyal and emotionally-invested in his core of aging Hall of Famers, and that that loyalty hampered the Celtics future. So, from the onset of this latest installment, and throughout every off-season and trade deadline that followed, we were constantly comforted with this piece of alleged truth: Danny learned from Red's mistakes, and he'll never let that happen.

Well, he didn't learn. And it did happen.

As the Celtics have struggled out of the gate this season, some fans have begun to demand that Boston blows things up. That they find suitors for Ray and KG, re-visit a trade for Rondo. That THE TIME HAS COME for Danny to make good on that promise before it's too late.

But it is too late.

In reality, the time to change the face of the roster and alter the course of this franchise came two years ago, after the 2010 Finals, when Ray Allen and Paul Pierce were free agents, Doc Rivers had one and a half feet out the door and Kevin Garnett had clearly left all he had on the Staples Center floor.

I hesitate to lay too much criticism on Ainge for not properly reacting at the time, because I don't remember anyone really suggesting that he should have played it differently.

Heading into the 2010 playoffs, we were all pretty sure that the Celtics were destined for a shake up. We assumed that Doc was gone, and that Ray would follow and after that, who knew? Had the playoffs unfolded even somewhat similarly to that awful regular season, change would have been easy and necessary. But as the Celtics upset Cleveland, killed the Magic, took a 3-2 lead against the Lakers and came within minutes of their most improbable title since 1969, we all got swept up in the excitement and nostalgia. We all lost touch with what this team and its core was capable of.

On July 1, 2010, the dawn of the most frenzied free agency in years, no one was saying: Let Doc go! Let Ray go! Let Pierce go! Trade KG while you still can! We were hyped on that Finals. We let our emotions get the best of us and became far more optimistic than realistic. So it's hard to get on Ainge too much, seeing that we were right there with him, but at the same time, he was the one who was supposed to be impervious to blind loyalty and emotion. He was the one who was supposed to see these guys for what they would be for the next two years, instead of what they were over one last playoff hurrah.

Sure, maybe he didn't anticipate the formation of Miami's super team. Perhaps he never imagined Derrick Rose would develop into the MVP, and Tom Thibodeau into the Coach of the Year, as quickly as they each did. He must have envisioned an Eastern Conference with far more balance than the one we see today.

And if we're being honest, the two guys he re-signed that summer: Allen, to a relatively modest deal, and Pierce, are still playing at a respectable level. Despite recent struggles, Allen is having the most efficient season of his career and after an awful start, Pierce is finally rounding into shape.

Sure, the guys can still play, but the point is that they're not getting better. And in building around the Big 3 (and now Rondo) for the last two years, neither have the Celtics. The money owed to the core, especially Pierce and KG, has hampered the level of help that Boston can bring in around them, and at a time when they need more help than ever. While the rest of the league has gotten younger, faster, deeper and stronger. Boston has gotten worse. They've been jogging in place and are slowing down at every mile marker.

I thought the most fitting exchange in last night's game came with five minutes left in the fourth quarter: The score was 78-73, when Paul Pierce caught a swing pass a drained a momentum swinging three to cut the lead to two. The crowd went wild and Pierce was beyond pumped. He flexed his muscles, and scowled his entire way down the court — and in the general direction of Kevin Durant. In the past, this would mark the start of the Celtics comeback; when they would jump on Pierce's back and ride the wave of an insane Garden crowd to an impressive win. But this year, it was different. It's been different.

After Pierce's three, Russell Westrbrook missed a jumper, but on the next Thunder possession, Durant called for the ball, went one-on-one with Pierce, crossed him up and drained a three of his own to bring the lead back up to five. Garnett responded with two free throws, but on the next Thunder possession, Durant got the ball again, and cleared out. After a few dribbles, he blew by Pierce and the rest of the Celtics for a monstrous, uncontested dunk… out of the half court set… in the fourth quarter of a one possession game.

It was sad. And the message was clear. Teams are no longer scared to play the Celtics. They're no longer scared of playing in the Garden. For now, on both counts, the mystique is gone.

Is Boston good enough to compete this year? Sure. I don't think they'll spend the entire season hovering around a .333 win percentage. Once their schedule eases up (at least in terms of competition) and other teams like Philadelphia, Orlando, Atlanta and (I guess) Cleveland, start facing stiffer challenges, the Celtics will settle in somewhere among the playoff pack. We can only hope they avoid the seventh or eighth seed, and if they do, I wouldn't rule out a first round win.

But they won't win the NBA title. Even in the best case-scenario, they're no longer contenders. And the reason, once and for all, is that they got too old. The Big 3 — even the Big Four — is no longer enough. And the rest of the talent in that locker room is no where close to making up the difference.

Looking forward, maybe the Celtics situation isn't quite as dire as it was in the days after the original Big Three. They have Rajon Rondo in the Reggie Lewis role, and after this season, will have a lot of money to work with. Not to mention, if Ainge wants to get real crazy, he can always amnesty Paul Pierce. (If you think that's cold, you'll have to explain how it's any colder than cutting ties with Bird, Mchale or Parish in the late 80s. If loyalty is blind, and it comes down to money, amnestying Pierce and the $32M he's owed over the next two years has to be considered.)

Then again, it's not like the free agent market is exactly swimming with talent this summer. And as we learned with David West, Boston's no longer the prime free agent destination it was even a year ago. But there are some options. You can't say that it's impossible for Danny to turn this around and somehow salvage the future of this franchise.

But as far as how and why the Celtics got to where they are today — 4-8, five straight losses and no hope immediate hope for Banner 18 — look no further than their aging core, and the reality that was never supposed to be.

Back to top Go down

IS THIS GUY RIGHT? Ainge Missed His Chance To Blow Up The C's Empty Re: IS THIS GUY RIGHT? Ainge Missed His Chance To Blow Up The C's

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Rich Levine should have been a preacher. He tells the gospel like no other. He transcribes the handwriting on the wall (not John) to show us the apocolypse of the franchise. As in Revelations we are in the last of times with this Big Three. It is a business and Ainge took that attitude with the wrong players. Take a good look at the Garden crowd last night. It won't be long before empty seats start sprouting up apleanty. Then when the coffers of Wyc's pockets become shallow like kiddie pools, then Ainge will be out on his a$$. It's a business Danny, or didn't you remember that. Amnesty Pierce, I thought that was something only the soon to return J R Ewing would do to his arch enemy Cliff Barnes on Dallas. Oh well, maybe Ainge will be able to hook up a GM gig in the D League, unless McHales swings weight with Les Alexander and can get him a gig getting him (McHale) coffee in H-Town.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

IS THIS GUY RIGHT? Ainge Missed His Chance To Blow Up The C's Empty Re: IS THIS GUY RIGHT? Ainge Missed His Chance To Blow Up The C's

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:28 pm

MD,

I know you are shy, are you sure you don't want to be more to the point and respond further?

Only kidding.

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:11 pm

If we were back during the Viet Nam War Era, there were many back then who would have begged for Amnesty. Archie Bunker was opposed to it!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:23 pm

They've been jogging in place and are slowing down at every mile marker.

LOL, which one? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:39 pm

gyso wrote:
They've been jogging in place and are slowing down at every mile marker.

LOL, which one? scratch

GYSO

I can sort of relate, back in the mid 70's ran my first marathon in Syracuse area, goal was to break 3 hours, well after mile 20 the last 6 miles DID get further apart damn it and I did feel like I was running in place....cause it sure took a lot longer to get to each successive one. But I was moving albeit not fast!

PS rest of story time was 3:08:33. (was 2:18 at the 20 mile mark)

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:15 pm

You know what the most cowardly position in sports is? Monday Morning Quarterback.

For people like Chicken Little, I have come to expect it. He has been exaggerating about the demise of the Celtics after every loss for years now. But for others out here, I am very surprised.

As I have quoted before, Norman Dale said it best to me....This is your team, I hope you respect them for who they are, and not who they are not.

Maybe I am old school, but I bleed Celtic green...and no amount of slow starts, or even last place finishes will change that. I go home with the girl I came to the dance with. Period. Full Stop.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:24 pm

I agree the article for the most part.

Da is no bb thats for sure.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Tonight's game is being billed as the Raptors against the Dinosaurs by one Toronto media guy. Pretty funny.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:44 pm

If it's the Raptors vs. the Dinosaurs, could we get Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble, and maybe Mr. Slate to Officiate. Kazoo can sit on the rim instead of the Lepruchan. (LOL)

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down