beat
tjmakz
mrkleen09
MDCelticsFan
10 posters

Go down

Odom Cries for Buyout Empty Odom Cries for Buyout

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:41 pm

Watch for Lamar Odom to be back in Purple & Gold before the end of the season. He is sulking and dropping hints as subtle as brick walls he wants out of "Big D". Will Cuban accomodate him?

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Odom Cries for Buyout Empty Re: Odom Cries for Buyout

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 pm

Sure. Lakers can give up Bynum for Odom and Haywood.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:00 pm

The Odom trade really worked out well for Cuban...
That couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:01 am

The Lakers arent going anywhere this year either...so I would say the trade was bad for both sides.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:10 am

Report: Odom seeking buyout from Mavs, eyeing Celtics

February 29, 2012\

Will Kevin Garnett and Lamar Odom soon be teammates?
CELTICS REPORT: WEDNESDAY, FEB. 29

CSNNE.com STAFF REPORT

The blog Hoops Authority has a source that says Lamar Odom -- traded by the Lakers to Dallas prior to the start of the season, and averaging a career-low 7.7 points per game with the Mavs -- is seeking a buyout and is "set on taking his talents to the Boston Celtics or New Jersey Nets".

Dallas owner Mark Cuban told espndallas.com that there is "[no] chance" the Mavs will offer Odom a buyout, but Hoops Authority says it has "confirmed" Odom made the buyout request.

Odom, bothered by the death of a younger cousin in the offseason, was out of shape when he reported to Dallas and has yet to find his rhythm with the Mavs. He won the NBA Sixth Player of the Year award last season with the Lakers.

Stay tuned.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:22 am

I would think the blame on non-preformance has little to do with the owner and is basically on the player. Cuban isn't listed in the boxscore.

We can debate wether spending that ammount of money on him was wise?
( appears it was not )

Odom sure appears to be a bit of a head case, in any case.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:14 am

mrkleen09 wrote:The Lakers arent going anywhere this year either...so I would say the trade was bad for both sides.

How that that a bad trade for the Lakers?
The Lakers received a 1st round pick and received a trade exception.
Plus they are not paying his salary and the luxury tax on his salary.

The Lakers wouldn't be in any better of a situation if Odom was still on the team.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:24 am

[quote="tjmakz"]
mrkleen09 wrote: The Lakers wouldn't be in any better of a situation if Odom was still on the team.

I dont see how you trade the 6th man of the year and dont think it effects a team. But you know the Lakers better than me.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:44 am

As it turns out, the trade wasn't bad for the Lakers. Odom almost quit basketball altogether after two incidents this summer -- his cousin was murdered, and then a car Odom was riding in was involved in an accident that killed a 15-year-old pedestrian. (The accident occurred the day after his cousin's funeral.) He wanted to quit and had to be convinced by family and friends to come back and play. Then he got thrown for another loop when he was involved in the aborted trade for Chris Paul. He demanded a trade, the Lakers obliged, and he arrived in Dallas out of shape and out of sorts.

It's easy for fans to consider players robots who should be able to go out and play regardless of personal circumstances because they're making all those millions of dollars, but they can be affected by their personal lives, just like the rest of us. From what I've seen of Odom over the years, I'd say he's a particularly sensitive guy who would have more trouble shutting out external forces than the average person.

Do the Lakers miss his contributions? Of course. But I think they'd be missing them even if he was on the roster. He is clearly not the same player this year, and that would've been the case even if the Lakers' deal for Chris Paul never saw the light of day and Odom was still a Laker. His heart and head aren't in the game.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:56 am

Here are excerpts from an article from the LA Times that explains Odom's personal situation from the summer.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/02/sports/la-sp-lamar-odom-accident-20110803

Lakers' Lamar Odom has to deal with death all over again
August 02, 2011|By Broderick Turner

Odom attended a funeral in New York on July 13 for his 24-year-old cousin, who Odom said was murdered.

The next day, Odom was a passenger in an SUV in Queens when it collided with a motorcycle. The motorcycle went out of control and hit a 15-year old pedestrian, Awsaf Alvi Islam, police said. The boy died from head injuries the following day.

The toll of these tragedies has weighed heavily on Odom.

"Death always seems to be around me," Odom said in a low tone. "I've been burying people for a long time. When I had to bury my child, I probably didn't start grieving until a year and a half later.

"I think the effects of seeing [my cousin] die and then watching this kid die, it beat me down. I consider myself a little weak. I thought I was breaking down mentally. I'm doing a lot of reflecting."

His mother, Cathy Mercer, died of colon cancer when he was 12. His grandmother Mildred Mercer, who reared him, died in 2004. His son Jayden, not quite 7 months old, died of sudden infant death syndrome in his crib in 2006.

There are aunts, cousins and friends, Odom said, all of them "taken away from me."

As he began to soul-search yet again, Odom concluded, "I may need to see a psychologist."

His trip to New York last month was supposed to be for a Nike commercial shoot.

Before he left, though, Odom was told his cousin had been shot. The funeral was on a Wednesday.

The next day Odom was in the back of a chauffeur-driven SUV getting his hair cut while on his way to Queens, where he grew up.

Odom said they made a left turn and all of a sudden, "I hear a 'ka-boom!' "

A man doing "wheelies" on a motorcycle "had jumped in front of us," Odom said, coming toward them so fast that it was impossible to avoid the crash.

"When he [the motorcyclist] slid, I thought it was two people on the bike. But what actually happened is that [after] the guy that hit us, as the motorcycle was sliding, he ran into someone else.

"And when I saw him run into someone else, I heard another 'ka-boom!' I looked at the person that was hit by the motorcycle and I kind of knew that 'this kid just received death.' I'm sitting in the car looking him right in the face. I'm like, 'I think he's gone.' "

Odom, 31, offered his condolences to Islam's family. "But I'm sure they're in shock," Odom said.

The death of his cousin has also put more weight on Odom's shoulders.

He had the responsibilities of being the head of the family, of making the funeral arrangements, of pulling the family together. It's a role that normally went to Odom's "grandmother or someone that was much older," he said.

Now the burden is on him, although he has the help of "a very strong wife," Odom said.

"I was leaning over the casket and I was talking to my cousin. I was telling him that I wish the first words from Khloe to him was 'Hi and not bye.' It's tough when someone gets murdered.

"Then it's what it has done to me emotionally and physically. It's someone that you love. I've had to tell myself that I will get through this. And I will. I have to."
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi,
The rumor is that Odom is eyeing Celtics.
How can he get into the green, money- and/or trade-wise?
Thanks.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:06 pm

The latest rumor mills seem to be focusing on our interest in Beasley and the suggestion that Odom might be interested in coming here if he can get bought out. The Mavs have so far said they are not planning on parting with Odom via buyout.

They seem to be two players that we could bring in without doing too severe of a long-term damage to our salary situation. Why we would want Beasley, a small forward performing below expectations, is beyond me however. Under the right circumstance I suppose Odom would be a good short-term rental.

We'll see. I guess the writers have to fill space with something.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Odom was always the "difference-maker" I feared most on the Lakers. I believe he could very well fill a similar role with the Celtics. He'd certainly give them much more quality versatility at the two "big" positions. I have always felt that, for one reason or another, he presents matchup problems for opponents. Yes, he has been through a lot this year, and somehow I can't see where returning to the team that basically dumped him would reverse any lingering depression he may be feeling. The Celtics would present a complete contrast from the Lakers in almost every respect, including welcoming him with believable sincerity. That dramatic a change could potentially help shake him out the doldrums.

IF he were bought out by the Mavs (and that's a HUGE "if"), he could afford to play for minimal money for the remainder of this season. The Celtics could promise him an impact role, and I think someone with his credentials could easily spell the difference between the Celtics' being marginal playoff material and becoming a contender.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Sam,
If (all other "IFs" being satisfied) he agrees to vet min, it'd be only for this season, wouldn't it?
What about the next season? What I'm driving at is right now neither Celtics nor NJN can offer him more than v.m. So he'd probably go to the team that offers him something substantial for the next year or two.
If he does go to Boston, I believe he can get the starting position. I'm not sure, though, if he can push Celtics into the contenders camp: not much time to jell and learn Doc's playbook. On top of that Celtics don't look like a team that needs just an adjustment to be there.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:16 pm

sinus007 wrote:Sam,
If (all other "IFs" being satisfied) he agrees to vet min, it'd be only for this season, wouldn't it?
What about the next season? What I'm driving at is right now neither Celtics nor NJN can offer him more than v.m. So he'd probably go to the team that offers him something substantial for the next year or two.
If he does go to Boston, I believe he can get the starting position. I'm not sure, though, if he can push Celtics into the contenders camp: not much time to jell and learn Doc's playbook. On top of that Celtics don't look like a team that needs just an adjustment to be there.

AK
AK,

If he starts, it would be at center, and although that's the Celtics' biggest need, it's probably also the least productive use of Odom's skills. While he's capable of filling in capably at center (or either guard spot), he's most valuable at the 4 or 3 where, as Sam pointed out, he's a matchup nightmare -- he can beat other power forwards with his quickness and ballhandling, and he's too long and strong for small forwards. He can bang the boards and lead or finish on the break from either position. Considering that, plus his state of mind and level of commitment at the moment, I think he'd be best coming off the bench.

As for whether he'd be an addition that could make them a contender, their ability to contend depends more on health plus the core group performing to their capabilities (particularly Pierce and Rondo). But if they did pick up Odom, if the core group is healthy and plays well, and if Odom can summon the drive to perform, then I do think he could be a difference maker. A lot of "ifs" there, though.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:46 pm

The ability of virtually any addition or tweaking to help make the Celtics contenders would, of course, be dependent on good health for the current core, which is obviously a major area for conjecture.

But it's not at all outside the realm of possibility that one addition could help make the Celtics become contenders—IF it's the right addition. I believe Odom could very well be the right addition. I view the Celtics' key weaknesses as being at the center position, rebounding, ability to score in the paint, interior defense, good health, and co-conspirators for Rondo on the break. I believe Odom could be of substantial value in every one of these categories, as well as being another inside-out option.

It seems to me that the Celtics have become a reactive team—relegated mainly to trying to match or offset the strengths of other teams—even teams that, on paper, seem weaker than the Celts. The addition of an Odom, by making them stronger in a variety of ways, could align their own strengths to the point where the Celts would be forcing other teams to react to their (the Celtics') strengths rather than the reverse. That's called "proactivity" or "aggressiveness" in my book, and it's precisely what's missing in The Green's current approach to the game.

Judging by the possible impact of Odom mainly by assessing his own game only address a portion of what he could add to the totality of the team as an organic unit. Whether or not he starts (and I couldn't care less which it would be), having a duo like KG and Odom on at the "big" positions at the crucial points of games would be a vast upgrade not only at those positions but also on the other positions as well.

As just one tiny example of many possibilities, think about Paul Pierce for a moment. With Odom and KG in the game, Paul Pierce would not have to focus as much on rebounding and would be free to start down the floor sooner to get himself in better position to operate offensively. He would also be less likely to be double-teamed, with Odom being available to receive a pass and penetrate light years ahead of JO's capabilities. Or Odom could represent another perimeter threat for Paul to drive and dish to.

Beasley, not so much. Just another "tweener" who would have to surprise considerably to be of the incremental value Odom would represent.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:28 pm

I would like to see Odom in green.

I would not like to see Odom at 5 and, I don't remember ever seeing him play 5 at LA. He is a 3/4, and VERY difficult to defend in those positions.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Bob,

When Bynum was out, Gasol moved to the 5 and Odom came in as the 4, but he was also a backup 5 when Gasol sat. He didn't play there a lot, but he did play there some.

Odom was also the starting center on the 2010 U.S. team that won the FIBA World Championship.

I still wholeheartedly agree with you -- he's best as a 3/4. But he has played some 5.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:13 am

BobH,

I think that, the way the Celtics play both offense and defense, there is not the need to place great emphasis on who plays 4 and who plays 5. If KG and Odom were on the floor together, they'd find their optimal combined "fit" based on matchups for and against.

The fact that Jermaine O'Neal is one inch taller and six pounds heavier than Odom doesn't mean much to me—especially when one considers the huge advantages held by Odom in terms of agility, durability, hops and inside-outside versatility. I believe a combination of KG and Odom would be a huge upgrade over the twosome of KG and JO.

As a matter of fact, I'd be intrigued to see what kind of damage (hopefully in favor of the Celtics—lol) a center/PF tandem of Wilcox and Odom or a frontcourt trio of Wilcox, Bass and Odom might cause while KG's resting. Suffice it to say that a big man corps of KG, Odom, JO, Wilcox and Bass (assuming good health all around) could prove extremely interesting. Somehow the presence of those five names and the absence of the names Stiemsma and Johnson would make me a much more confident Celtics rooter. As would a "wing" corps of Pierce, Ray, Odom, Pietrus, Daniels and Sasha.

And, in the best of all worlds, none of the above would depend on whether the Celtics traded Rondo. Despite his trick-or-treat approach to the game, having Rajon, rather than Avery, as the main catalyst of what could become a high-octane offense would give me a much higher comfort level. Unless he were traded for a competent (though not necessarily as dynamic) PG with a reasonably decent blend of floor general and defensive skills.

It's probably a real longshot that Odom would wind up with Celtics, but even the remote prospect of acquiring him without giving up a major asset in trade is highly intriguing.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:45 pm

sam wrote:BobH,

I think that, the way the Celtics play both offense and defense, there is not the need to place great emphasis on who plays 4 and who plays 5. If KG and Odom were on the floor together, they'd find their optimal combined "fit" based on matchups for and against.

The fact that Jermaine O'Neal is one inch taller and six pounds heavier than Odom doesn't mean much to me—especially when one considers the huge advantages held by Odom in terms of agility, durability, hops and inside-outside versatility. I believe a combination of KG and Odom would be a huge upgrade over the twosome of KG and JO.

As a matter of fact, I'd be intrigued to see what kind of damage (hopefully in favor of the Celtics—lol) a center/PF tandem of Wilcox and Odom or a frontcourt trio of Wilcox, Bass and Odom might cause while KG's resting. Suffice it to say that a big man corps of KG, Odom, JO, Wilcox and Bass (assuming good health all around) could prove extremely interesting. Somehow the presence of those five names and the absence of the names Stiemsma and Johnson would make me a much more confident Celtics rooter. As would a "wing" corps of Pierce, Ray, Odom, Pietrus, Daniels and Sasha.

And, in the best of all worlds, none of the above would depend on whether the Celtics traded Rondo. Despite his trick-or-treat approach to the game, having Rajon, rather than Avery, as the main catalyst of what could become a high-octane offense would give me a much higher comfort level. Unless he were traded for a competent (though not necessarily as dynamic) PG with a reasonably decent blend of floor general and defensive skills.

It's probably a real longshot that Odom would wind up with Celtics, but even the remote prospect of acquiring him without giving up a major asset in trade is highly intriguing.

Sam

sam,

Lamar could play "point forward". I know that the Celtics don't have the same history of that as some other teams do, but we could learn to like it. Lamar is very, very versatile albeit a bit overprone to taking outside shots. His length would be extremely helpful to us.

I don't think he's coming here either.

FWIW, without using a trade machine, I think an Odom-Rondo trade would work, by the numbers.

Outside,

Sure he played 5 when Bynum (injury) and Gasol (resting) were out. Who else on the talented but paper-thin Lakers frontcourt could have? Human victory cigar DJ Mbenga?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:43 pm

bobheckler wrote:Outside,

Sure he played 5 when Bynum (injury) and Gasol (resting) were out. Who else on the talented but paper-thin Lakers frontcourt could have? Human victory cigar DJ Mbenga?
Human victory cigar is one of my favorite roles in sports. Is there any sport besides basketball that has it? Qualifications: plucky, likeable, good teammate, virtually nonexistent threat to move into the regular rotation, fun name for the crowd to chant at the end of blowouts. What a job!
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 pm

Without laboriously going back and referencing individual box scores, I'm not aware of how to break out various portions of the season for statistical comparisons. I'd love to have some kind of indicator of KG's productivity at the center position versus his productivity at PF this season. My instinct tells me he's fared better at center (and possibly has played more MPG) than at PF. And I believe that would include his play at both ends of the floor.

Regardless of the exact figures, I'd happily go into crunch time with a five of KG, Odom, Pierce, Ray and Rondo. And there could be instances when (given certain matchups and/or if Pierce doesn't shake his funk), I'd be tempted to go with KG, Odom, Bass, Ray and Rondo. And, in the event that Ray were traded, I'd willingly stick Pietrus in there at SG.

I still believe that, at least for some players, positional assignments are not nearly as important as having the collective attributes to react to the game flow and matchup considerations.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:10 pm

Outside wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Outside,

Human victory cigar is one of my favorite roles in sports. Is there any sport besides basketball that has it? Qualifications: plucky, likeable, good teammate, virtually nonexistent threat to move into the regular rotation, fun name for the crowd to chant at the end of blowouts. What a job!

outside,

I know the Laker crowd loved hearing the announcer yell "MMMMM-BENNNNNNNGAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:17 pm

sam wrote:Without laboriously going back and referencing individual box scores, I'm not aware of how to break out various portions of the season for statistical comparisons. I'd love to have some kind of indicator of KG's productivity at the center position versus his productivity at PF this season. My instinct tells me he's fared better at center (and possibly has played more MPG) than at PF. And I believe that would include his play at both ends of the floor.

Regardless of the exact figures, I'd happily go into crunch time with a five of KG, Odom, Pierce, Ray and Rondo. And there could be instances when (given certain matchups and/or if Pierce doesn't shake his funk), I'd be tempted to go with KG, Odom, Bass, Ray and Rondo. And, in the event that Ray were traded, I'd willingly stick Pietrus in there at SG.

I still believe that, at least for some players, positional assignments are not nearly as important as having the collective attributes to react to the game flow and matchup considerations.

Sam

sam,

Here's KG's page at 82games.com. His PER (I know, I'm not a Hollinger fan either, but it seems to me it makes more sense here since we're not comparing 2 players who may never have played against each other. In this case KG's PER vs his opponents are direct head-to-head comparisons) is better as a 5 than at 4. His opponents are better when he's 5 than 4 too, but the difference between the two is bigger at 5.

There also is a box that says what % of his minutes are at 4 and 5.

http://www.82games.com/1112/11BOS13.HTM

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks, Bob. Those stats are very interesting. The one that I find most revealing, even though it goes against my instinct, is the W/L percentage for KG by position. I believe it says that 5-man combinations with KG at PF have outscored their opponents 71% of the time while 5-man combinations with KG on the floor at center have outscored their counterparts 50% of the time.

Of course, none of these stats indicates how KG might fare with Odom beside him. Something makes me salivate at the prospect of those two sharing the big man positions.

It is interesting to not that KG has had 26 stints at center and 21 stints at PF this season. I find that 82games is usually a few games behind in their stats, but the ratio is an intriguing one.

Thanks again.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down