Joe Johnson buyout...

+4
NYCelt
international
bobheckler
beat
8 posters

Go down

Joe Johnson buyout... Empty Joe Johnson buyout...

Post by beat Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:06 am

Apparently the C's along with others are interested. (per Marcus)

I will Post a link when I can find it.............

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25495030/plenty-of-options-for-joe-johnson-after-potential-nets-buyout

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Joe Johnson buyout... Empty Re: Joe Johnson buyout...

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:01 pm

beat,

Thanks for posting this.

I could see this.  We need length and/or shooting.  Joe Johnson is a shadow of his former self, and even his former self was half-hearted on defense, but he can create shots and he can hit them.

He isn't going to be playing 30mpg anyway.  He is going to come in and do what we all thought RJ Hunter would.

If we can't get a stork, and I am NOT hopeful because there aren't a lot around that are worth anything that haven't already been snapped up, then we could do worse than a playoff-run rental of Joe Johnson.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:10 pm

Bob

If I'm Johnson think I'd go to OKC as a first option.

After that ?????? have no clue.

With him we might be able to hang on to a home seed for the first round. Really isn't gonna affect our picks much one way or the other .............cept it might make the NETS a little weaker and that is a plus.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Blakely: Not buying the Joe Johnson buyout

February 25, 2016, 12:45 pm

Joe Johnson buyout... Byline-blakely

BOSTON – The idea of Joe Johnson in a Celtics’ uniform - one that’s not photo-shopped - has gained some momentum with the current Brooklyn Nets star reportedly being open to a potential buyout and Boston emerging as one of the many teams interested.

Still, there are a couple of factors that pose major snafus to a deal being reached.

For starters, the 34-year-old Johnson is the second-highest-paid player in the league this season and is due $24.9 million, which is shade below the $25 million coming Kobe Bryant’s way during his farewell tour.

Those familiar with Johnson’s thinking don’t anticipate him wanting to budge much (if at all) off of what he’s due. At his age, it’s unlikely that he would be able recoup the money he would have to leave on the table in order for a buyout to be agreed upon.

And the Nets (you would think) would only entertain a buyout of Johnson if they could get a significant reduction off of what he is due.

Brooklyn already used its stretch provision to buy out Deron Williams (now in Dallas), so that’s not a viable route to take.

In addition, the Nets have no incentive to go into tank-a-palooza mode (which is exactly what they would be doing if they bought Johnson out) because their first-round pick in June belongs to Boston.

Now, maybe Brooklyn is taking the position that Johnson has been a good guy through some lean times, and freeing him to sign elsewhere and give him all or most of his money due is a means of rewarding that loyalty of service.

Nah.

I’m not buying that, either.

Buying out Andrea Bargnani was new-GM Sean Marks’ first act of significance and it made sense. It was little money on a player who was providing little to the team’s performance.

But Johnson is an entirely different matter.

While we all agree that Johnson is on the downside of his career, the six-time All-Star is actually playing his best basketball of the season right now.

And you can bet the Celtics and a host of other teams would love to bring him in and allow him to keep building off of his recent play.

In February, Johnson has averaged 13.2 points, 3.9 assists and 5.6 rebounds, while shooting 48.2 percent from the field and 44.1 percent on 3s.

To add a player delivering like that at Johnson’s age would do wonders for the Celtics or any other team.

But for Brooklyn to eat most of his $24.9 million salary which will only make them worst, doesn’t make a lot of sense.

And knowing that they can’t improve through the draft this year because their pick is owned by the Celtics, adds to the lunacy of a buyout for Johnson.

Only Johnson’s willingness to leave a substantial amount of money on the table for the freedom to sign elsewhere, make this deal make sense for both sides.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by international Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:25 pm

Nets have officially waived Joe Johnson.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:58 pm

He'll probably end up in Cleveland.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:07 pm

international wrote:Nets have officially waived Joe Johnson.

And, once again, A. Sherrod Blakely proves he's the slowest kid in the class.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:34 pm

bobheckler wrote:

And, once again,  A. Sherrod Blakely proves he's the slowest kid in the class.

You know, I actually give Blakely credit for staking out a position instead of what he usually does, which is make blatantly obvious and dull observations after the fact. But since this foray outside the safe zone backfired so quickly and dramatically, I imagine he'll return to coloring way inside the lines again.

Having attempted to give him credit for that, however, I have to bash him for being so unconnected to the NBA hub of activity that he couldn't figure out with a couple of phone calls or texts that, yes, they were considering waiving him. Doesn't show well.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:48 am

bobheckler wrote:

And, once again,  A. Sherrod Blakely proves he's the slowest kid in the class.

bob

LOL.........that was a couple funny posts back to back there.

what the Blakely fella should have written was that IF Johnson is bought out, he has no intention of coming to Boston.

joining MELO as a vet player who doesn't want to come here. What's with this seemingly long time desire for NBA players to NOT want to play here anyway?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:19 am

oh I just read that Kevin Martin might be the next vet to be bought out by the T'wolves.

now THERE is the first guy that I would like Danny to go after!

a David Lee for Kevin Martin transaction (in my mind only) is a good one!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:27 am

Kevin Martin can shoot, though he has a weird release. As low as he releases it, I'm surprised he doesn't get half his shots blocked, but he doesn't.

The two things of concern are 1) he's not a good defender; and 2) maybe I should say he used to be able to shoot -- his percentages are pretty bad this year. Now that I look at it, he's shooting 36.9% on threes (good, not great) and 39.1% on twos (a career low).

For an end-of-the-bench guy, you could do worse, though it seems like those minutes would be better spent on Hunter to figure out if he's an NBA player.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:21 pm

NYCelt wrote:He'll probably end up in Cleveland.

I was wrong about that one.

It's The Heat.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:22 pm

NYCelt wrote:

It's The Heat.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/ap-source-joe-johnson-agrees-to-sign-with-miami-heat-022616

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:26 pm

steve3344 wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

It's The Heat.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/ap-source-joe-johnson-agrees-to-sign-with-miami-heat-022616

Interesting. You think Danny reached out to him, and he still chose Miami? Is so, does he really think Miami has a better chance for a deep playoff run than us?? Or maybe he has more friends on Miami, and we are not much better than them.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:42 am

one of our recent " friends" ........Marcus Thornton is looking for a new job also.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:20 am

kdp59 wrote: one of our recent " friends" ........Marcus Thornton is looking for a new job also.

kdp,

That'd work. I don't think there are any shot blockers that are going to suddenly "become available", so a guy who can shoot lights out and knows Brad's system a bit would work.

If he was only a better ball handler. He's Bradley with a bit more size but much less defense.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:47 am

Ty Lawson negotiating a buy out with the Rockets.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down