Greg Oden Waived by Portland

4 posters

Go down

Greg Oden Waived by Portland Empty Greg Oden Waived by Portland

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:40 am

How would it be if the Celtics picked him up and continued his rehab. and gave him a non guaranteed contact to try to make the team once he is 100% healthy, if he is able to get 100% healthy. I would favor taking a chance as long as all it cost the Celtics was the medical money for treatment & rehab

Last edited by MDCelticsFan on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo error)

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Greg Oden Waived by Portland Empty Re: Greg Oden Waived by Portland

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:16 am

Greg Oden is having his 3rd microfracture surgery on his knee. These are notoriously difficult injuries to come back from, and this is his 3rd.

According to his agent, Bill Duffy, he might be picked off of waivers (he renegotiated his contract down to $1.5M, so he's cheap) but he isn't looking at clubs until July, when he will be a free agent and post-surgery.

I've never been a fan of Oden's, even when he was healthy, so I'm not in favor of giving him a chance with the Celtics. Way too many ifs for me, starting with his stamina and reliability and continuing on to his quality of play.

Either way, if he's not claimed off of waivers, there's plenty of time for Danny to try and get someone better before trying this. We don't have the roster room to sign and just carry him now.

My 2c,
bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:07 am

Just my opinion; not something we would want to bother with.

I think Oden is done. He had the tools and instincts to be a dominating center in the NBA if he had been healthy, but that just wasn't the case.

On the plus side for him, if he's been smart he should be OK financially for life.

Last edited by NYCelt on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:16 am

The last thing the Celtics need is another player with a risky health history, and Oden takes that to a whole 'nother level. He's played only 82 games in five years. People criticize Bynum for being injury prone, but he's an ironman compared to Oden. At some point, you need to think he has something intrinsically wrong that he needs all these microfracture surgeries on BOTH knees.

And it's not like he's Kareem when he's healthy -- even if he came back, he'd be a journeyman center. His contribution to NBA history will be as another chapter in the Portland Curse.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down