Five ways the C's can still win it all

4 posters

Go down

Five ways the C's can still win it all Empty Five ways the C's can still win it all

Post by 112288 Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:14 pm

By Rich Levine
CSNNE.com

The Celtics are gearing up for one last run with the Big 3, but most of us aren't expecting much more than a leisurely stroll.

Given the team's current predicament, it's nearly impossible to even entertain the idea that they have what it takes to bring home another title. In reality, you'd have to say that there's a better chance of them missing the playoffs all together.

But if there's one thing we've learned (and loved) about this core over the last five years, it's that they're going to fight. That even though the trade deadline did absolutely nothing to improve Boston's bottom line, those guys are sitting in Sacramento this afternoon just dying to get back on the court and prove everyone wrong one last time.

Is it possible?

I really don't think so.

But in the spirit of optimism, here are five things that could happen to give the Celtics a better shot of making their last run with the Big Three a successful one.

Get Chris Kaman

The chances of Kaman being bought out in the first place are slim — and even then there will be serious competition for his services — but I never said this would be easy. We're talking perfect world here, because that's what it will take.

The built-in excuse if the Celtics fail to pick up a legitimate big man is the success they've had playing "small ball." But that can only take them so far.

As we speak, Greg Stiemsma and JaJuan Johnson are the Celtics only two big men off the bench. You couldn't win the rookie/sophomore game with that rotation, never mind the Eastern Conference. And while there are a few available big men other than The Hulkster, none of them are any good.

Chris Johnson? Leon Powe? Earl Barron?

They're seat fillers. If the Celtics have any shot, they need a star!

But they'd settle for Kaman.

By the way, the addition of a legitimate seven-footer doesn't mean that the Celtics can't play small anymore. They can still start the game small. They can certainly play small down the stretch. But I don't have to tell you that, in order to succeed in the playoffs, they'll need someone taller than Mickael Pietrus and more experienced than Stiemsma to step up and make an impact.

Stay healthy

Well, this one is obvious, but still worth a reminder.

No one can get hurt.

OK, I take that back. Sasha Pavlovic can get hurt. E'twaun Moore can get hurt. And the C's could probably afford to lose Marquis Daniels for a few games. But if one more player of remote significance goes down, we can officially close the curtain on the season — even if it's already only inches from the ground.

Who am I most worried about?

In a weird way, Brandon Bass. The guy's already had two bouts (and missed seven games) with a swollen right knee, and that's not the kind of thing that just goes away. It's a long haul between now and even the first round, and with the minutes Bass is playing, you wonder how long he can hold up? (And you can ask the same about Pietrus).

Of course, you worry about the Big 3 — mostly KG. And then there's Rondo. You always worry about Rondo. Every time he dramatically falls to the ground, and lies there motionless like a vacant Avatar, you worry and wonder if this might be the time that he's really hurt.

From here on out, if anyone get's really hurt. That's a wrap. Bobby V.-style.

Beat the Heat

The Celtics/Heat game from earlier this season feels like it could have been played in 2009.

Seriously, was that really only three months ago?

In the meantime, so much has happened. (Although at the same time, almost nothing has happened). But either way, the Celtics and Heat are long over due for a reunion, and they'll have three before now and the end of the season.

Boston needs to win at least two of them.

I know, regular season success doesn't mean anything in the playoffs. We learned that last year, when the C's won three of four during the season, but then lost four of five when it mattered most.

But here's why the Celtics need to beat the Heat in the regular season.

To show that they can.

To regain just a little bit of that mental edge that was lost during last year's playoffs.

When you think about it, the Celtics were never the more talented team in this rivalry. But for the better part of last season, they won because they were the better, mentally stronger "team"; because they were more confident and in tune with what they needed to do and had the mentality: "OK, you can hang around with us for a while, but when it comes to winning time, you don't have a shot. We're always going to beat you!"

And it worked. It was big brother/little brother mental stranglehold that the Heat couldn't overcome and gave Boston the advantage every time they played, regardless of talent.

Of course, that was erased in last year's playoffs, and once that kind of spell is lifted it's hard to ever get it back. But if the Celtics can take a few games in the regular season, it might plant a little seed. And the more seeds you can plant in LeBron's head before the playoffs the better chance that one of them sprouts into full blown meltdown.

Derrick Rose falls apart

He's been hampered by foot problems, back problems and now a sore groin.

Can the Bulls really count on Derrick Rose to be healthy in the playoffs?

You know they're going to do everything in their power to ensure that he's OK. Rose is already playing a career low 35.6 minutes a game this year, and if the Bulls continue to build on their lead in the East, you can expect his minutes — and games played — to further decrease. But regardless of how much rest the Bulls find for Rose between now and the start of the playoffs, his durability will be a major wild card and potential game-changer in terms of the Celtics chances to shock the world.

After all, we all remember what happened the last time Chicago tried to check Rondo with Rose stuck in street clothes. CJ Watson hasn't slept through the night since.

1-2-3 UBUNTU

At this point, and especially once they add another big man, it's unreasonable to expect the Celtics to reach any special level of chemistry. At least nowhere near the heights they experienced in 2008 and the spring and fall of 2011. There's not enough time or talent for the guys to form that sort of bond.

BUT… if the Big 4 can re-discover Ubuntu among themselves (what a ridiculous sentence)… if even just those four can find a way to co-exist as seamlessly and consistently as they have in the past… then yeah, maybe the Celtics can make a little run.

Wouldn't you still, even if it's just for one last year, take an inspired and cohesive Big 4 over Atlanta, Philly, Indiana, Orlando or whomever Boston plays in the first round*? I would.

(*I'm assuming that if the Celtics can stay healthy and play together, they'll sneak into the sixth seed. That could be number six on this list: Get the sixth seed! But we only wanted to do five reasons, so I'm putting it here)

Of course, once the postseason arrives, the degree of difficulty will increase. Not just the competition, but the urgency and surrounding pressure. Only a true team can withstand the hardships and drama of playoff basketball, and if the Big 4 aren't truly in sync, they'll be exposed. They won't have a shot.

But if they're getting along… if they're healthy… if they have Chris Kaman…And Derrick Rose gets hurt… LeBron has another meltdown… and all the chips fall into place…

Then maybe…

Nah. I can't do it.

I don't believe it.

But you know what? I'm sure they do.

I'm sure that the Celtics will take the court tonight in Sacramento with the confidence that there's still time for one more title.

Whether or not I think they have a shot, I'm looking forward to watching them try.

112288[u]

Back to top Go down

Five ways the C's can still win it all Empty Re: Five ways the C's can still win it all

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:32 pm

The power of positive thinking, just what I like~it may seem impossible, but.....
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Five ways the C's can still win it all Empty Re: Five ways the C's can still win it all

Post by Matty Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Rosalie,
actualy we're in our second really nice strech of playing well. Yes we definetly could use another Big (Ainge refused to listen to my proposals on how to land Chris Kamen apparently), but since the All Star break we've played almost as good as anyone in the league.

sure we're the underdog, but this team had been the underdog just a couple seasons ago going into the playoffs then found ourselves up against the Lakers with a 3-2 lead in the NBA finals. No injury to Perk in that series and we would be the 18 time NBA champion Boston Celtics right now.

Everyone says the Bulls and Heat are the teams to beat, and i think that can be done, those Bulls I think could be beaten but it wont be easy. To beat the Heat you just have to do everything humanly posible to make the seris go 7 games.

We all know what happens then, thats when King Nothing gets exactly what he craves, the spotlight all on him, looking for him to be the hero and... thats where he does what he does best. Chokes.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Dwight Howard took care of that the other night, it was a sight to behold. He stuffed him two times and then took the ball away from him. It was beautiful~

I know I am the ultimate optimist, but I refuse to give up yet. Paul Pierce is ready to finally turn it on, he has struggled alot. With him playing the way we are all used to him playing (and I do realize he has lost some of his lift)maybe they can make some noise.

I will be watching, you can rest assured of that. I haven't missed a game exceot when I was out cod in the hospital and didn't know what was going on!! My son can tell you, after asking about my family when I came to, the first thing I wanted to know was when the Celtics were on next!!Kimd of
crazy, huh?????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:25 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote: after asking about my family when I came to, the first thing I wanted to know was when the Celtics were on next!!Kimd of
crazy, huh?????

no Rosalie, that just a prime example of a person who truely bleeds green. Its a good way of life.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi,
Whatever point Celtics reach this year - I'll be happy.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:45 pm

HEY Rosalie,

Glad to see you posting! Welcome back and we hope you are feeling better!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down