ways to beat the heat

+2
cowens/oldschool
jeb
6 posters

Go down

ways to beat the heat Empty ways to beat the heat

Post by jeb Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Well I watched the Heat/ Thunder game last night and it was daunting. This without Wade. I came away with this. You can not double James cause he will kill you with his passing. Bosh is going to rack up bunnies like watership down and this without Wade. I think you got to play James AND Wade straight up and let them go off. James pretty much played the point last night and he was very effective. And fellas their front line played very hard specially on defense. Surprisingly big and stingy. Really hit the glass. They played exceedingly physical last night and put Westbrook a very tough kid on his ass a few times...hard. During an exhibition game. I think the Celtics can beat them with and only with quick interior passing, king hell man to man defense with smart physical help and most importantly rebounding the basketball. Whoever guards James just needs to contest shots and must stay out of foul trouble. James reminds me of a young Shaq in that when he gets the ball inside he just bogarts people out of the way and often its the defender that gets called for a foul while he is picking up his teeth. But he just killed the Thunder inside last night. They had no answer. He is huge and freakishly fast for his size. I dont think i have ever seen a hoop player move faster (his size) The Celtics must attack them inside smartly on most every possesion and USE their size they must hit the glass relentlessly and stay at home on James, no doubles, quick help but no doubles. But the Heat are going to win a lot of games and be very very good. With this caveat. They better pray the three a ME go's stay healthy. One guy even has a tweak and they cant beat celts, lakes, mag
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

ways to beat the heat Empty Re: ways to beat the heat

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Good evaluation jeb,I haven't seen Lasme yet,but I think we need more physical bodies at backup 3 and Quis at 205 pounds is not the answer.Not that Lasme or anybody can stop him,but heard he was the DPoY in the DL.Do we have enough offense with Pierce off as he was in last Cavs playoff series?So we need help so Pierce doesn't get all worn by himself.....hopefully Lasme can help,maybe Baby,either way I'd get rid of Wafer or Quis to get a more real defensive 3 to help.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Cow

Either we need another big strong mean defender or we tell Paul to play him straight up but without fouling. Let him score and make the rest of team beat you but we both know that wont work. We need Pauls offense. I aint sure what the answer is Cow but it's gonna be a hard out. Paul better hit the weight pile. Lets score a backup 3...this west doode looks fast and strong maybe he'll help
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Outside that no kidn I'd put Delonte on him and make him lose his composure.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:07 pm

jeb have you seen Lasme?I haven't,Sam likes him,how much offense would we lose with him hanging and banging with Bron?Our BIGS are going to have to control paint and by doing so let our small quicks fly,beating them down the floor.....hopefully we can wear them out.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Lasme looks tough to me but a step slow to guard James. I think West/ West would have a better chance. But truly I have not seen enough of Lasme. He is a good cutter, crafty and a banger. He reminded beat and I of Cornbread. James is just so damn strong/ Fast it is hard to stay with him. I think Tony Allen could to some degree. Right now we dont have an answer other than just Celtic team ball. Sort of the same way we beat Cleveland and Orlando and the Lakers in 08 but James provides some serious hassles.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Cow,

Seems to me Lasme's faster than Pierce. He's all legs. My question wouldn't be his speed but his defensive experience and whether he's ready to make the jump to the NBA.. I am impressed with his instincts, but that has mostly involved offense. I haven't really seen any evidence pro or con yet about his defense. He's too often in at garbage time, when defense is a fig leaf of their imaginations.

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:25 pm

jeb65 wrote:
...rack up bunnies like watership down...

Jeb,

You're still coming up with some of the best stuff put in print. Bonus points for you on this one; I wonder how many people will remember this animated film.

Re; James and Wade. Everyone assumed Wade was going to be the man down there, that it was his club. Although DWade's been injured it's looking a lot more like James is the man on that team.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:42 pm

NyC

That will be the principle problem the Heat have to deal with. One just uncharted territory mount rushmore sized ego in the person of James and Wade's also huge ego that has been nurtured like a fall garden. I think it can and very well might tear that "team" apart. There is only one basketball and one bucket per side on offense. But if they can play together without useless drama they are going to be one very hard out. Oddly to me the one guy outside of the the three a m EGOS whom they can ill afford to lose is Haslem. Without him they are twiggy thin inside.

In my childhood I read the book Watership Down and I could not reccomend it any higher for children or adults. There is some very heavy stuff in that little book and it makes the reader care deeply about rabbits!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MustangGator Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Hey jeb,

How you been? Looks like Celtics and Lakers fans together finally have a common theme to root for, or against, this year. I would strongly consider to make an agreement with the NBA Gods before the season starts for the Lakers not win the NBA title as long as the Heat were guaranteed to not win also. I can't believe I am going to say this publicly, but if the Lakers somehow get upset in the west, I will be rooting for the Celtics. Please, anyone but the Heat. Go Lakers, Go Celtics in the East.

MG
MustangGator
MustangGator

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:06 pm

Mg
Thats funny. I came out and said that very thing on another thread. If yall play the Heat I am rooting yellow and it is an easy choice. I respect your team and do not respect anything much about the Heat. How YOU been mister? Great to see you around here!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MustangGator Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:20 pm

I've been good jeb. Been busy with some projects, working, family visits, and rooting for the Padres. Unfortunately the Pads came up short. I was a big baseball fan this year. I am just now starting to look towards basketball, so pretty much behind the eight ball right now. So, thought I would turn to a very reliable friend and source to get me caught up to speed. Sam's Celtics Forum of course. Should be a very, very interesting season.

MG
MustangGator
MustangGator

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:39 am

My concern for your squad is Kobe...he is due a breakdown and has heavy miles. As big of a conditioning fiend as he is father time makes punks of us all. Without Kobe you guys wont go anywhere much. He is the red blood that pumps your team. If he can deal with his growing limitations in his mind and stay on the floor for 70 games yall will be a load.

Hope yur well Mustang Gator, again nice to see you here. You are very welcome here.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Jeb,

For something major, like a broken leg or heart problems, the impact of the problems can be pretty predictable. With something like a leg scope or even a bad finger, it's amazing how professional basketball players and their medical support team can find a way to cruise through the season—making little adjustments here, taking shortcuts there. One of the biggest things Kobe's got going for him is that he knows how to play the game and slide by in situations where a less experienced player would be stymied. Frankly, that syndrome had a lot to do with at least two Celtics championships.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Kobe is a killer. As tough as they come. But nobody is immune to time. And he is due to slow down some. I expect him to slip a little this year. I also expect him to adjust his game accordingly. He will be very effective if he can stay healthy.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MustangGator Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Jeb,
Thanks for the welcome. You are correct about father time catching up. With Kobe, the question is when? One advantage going for him, and the Lakers this year, is a better/deeper bench, IMO. Hopefully PJ and/or Kobe will take advantage of this and rest him more for the post season.

I can't count how many times last year the Lakers stormed out and took a big lead only to give it all back in the 4th quarter. I would be sitting watching a game thinking with a big lead maybe they could get Kobe out to rest him a bit. Then, Kobe and the rest of the starters would have to go back in, or remain on the floor to pull out a close victory. With a better, deeper bench, there might be more opportunities to rest him. The Lakers might actually be able to close out more games at the end without key starters on the floor. I am hoping.

Sam,
Nice observation. Last year there were times where I asked myself if he was actually hurt. I appreciate the comparison to some of those great Celtics Teams.

P.S. I am watching a bit of the Heat pre-season game against the Hornets and was overcome with an urge to throw-up. I hate the Heat.

MG
MustangGator
MustangGator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:41 pm

That's the point, Jeb. He can be effective even if he slows down a little because he know the game like a book, including every trick in the trade. It's like a pitcher who has thrown 97 all his life, injures an elbow,and has to use more guile, maybe better control, perhaps even a new pitch to compensate. It can be done, and it can be done best by the greatest players.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MustangGator Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Sam,

How about Jamie Moyer who pitched this year for the Phillies at age 47. I don't think he was throwing that same slop up there when he started out as he has done the past few years, and yet he was still getting batters out. The good ones adjust.
MustangGator
MustangGator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:06 pm

Absolutely, MG. Great example.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:00 am

Well he is def one of the all time greats already. If he can handle his body responding poorly and win another one he enters into Jordan, Bird, Magic land and deserves to be considered all time. I was really knocked out by the way he handled himself last year. But Phil played him into the ground. He cant rewind those minutes playing hurt off his body. Hell it'l be fun to watch.

And MG your bench did get better for sure. What is your take on Blake so far? Barnes is a bit of a head case no? He fittin in?
What about the rooks?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MustangGator Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:07 am

Jeb,

To be honest with you I have been a very bad NBA/Lakers fan since the end of the finals. I had picked up other interests and am now just starting to focus my attention back on basketball. I have not had an opportunity to see any of the Lakers pre-season games yet. I will tell you that I was excited about the Barnes and Blake signings. I am a huge UCLA fan so I have been familiar with Barnes since his UCLA days. I didn't know much about Blake until I read up a little about him. I like his addition and believe he will be more consistant than Farmar was last year. I also don't know much about the rooks yet. I am certain that you probably know more about my team than I do at this point of time. Wish I could offer more. Between work, a couple projects I took on, family commitments, and following the Paders very closely, I have not had much time for anything else. Take care,

MG
MustangGator
MustangGator

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Miller hurt his left ankle against the Bobcats.

Hurt it and kept on playing, hurt it again. Would guess he is out against the Celtics.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:49 am

mg

Babysky likes the rooks. He likes Barnes and he Loves Blake. So that bodes well. It is my opinion, shared by Sky that you guys got way way deeper.

Your pal

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MustangGator Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:57 am

Thanks Jeb. Good insight for me. I cannot wait until the 26th, opening night. Both our teams play on TNT that night.
MustangGator
MustangGator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down