POST GAME MILWALKEE

+2
mrkleen09
6 posters

Go down

POST GAME MILWALKEE Empty POST GAME MILWALKEE

Post by 112288 Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Simple .....RUN.....BALL MOVEMENT........DEFENSE = WIN!

The Steamer was causing all kind of havoc on the Bucks on the defensive end.
5 BLKS - 4 STLS - 6 PTS - 4 RBS - 3A and he has a sore foot!

When Bass went down at mid court I was like a prize fight fan shouting
GET UP...GET UP...GET UP!!!!!!!!!

NEXT GAME FRIDAY AT PHILLY 8PM - ESPN - FIRST PLACE SHOWDOWN!

JUST IN

HOLLINS EN ROUTE TO BOSTON, CLOSE TO DEAL
By: Paul Flannery

Recently waived center Ryan Hollins is on his way to Boston with the expectation that he will sign with the Celtics, per a league source. If Hollins passes his physical and signs, he could be ready to meet the team on Friday when they play the 76ers. Team president Danny Ainge essentially confirmed that during an interview with The Big Show on Thursday.

"We’re talking to Ryan right now, trying to get Ryan in," Ainge said. "Ryan had a chance to workout this summer with Paul [Pierce]and [Kevin Garnett]. Ryan was highly recommended by them during the offseason. He was under contract with Cleveland but he was a guy that they respect and a guy they like and they think he would be a good fit with our team."

The six-year veteran has spent the last season and a half with the Cavaliers. He averaged five points and three rebounds in 70 games in 2010-11, but recently lost his rotation spot to rookie Tristan Thompson. The 7-footer would provide depth at center behind Garnett and Greg Stiemsma. The Celtics will have to waive someone from their roster in order to make room for Hollins.

POST GAME RECAP WEEI 850 AM

FAST BREAK: DEER IN THE CELTICS HEADLIGHTS
By Ben Rohrbach

Based on ESPN.com writer/mathematician John Hollinger’s latest NBA playoff odds, the Celtics (25-21) are the odd team out in the Eastern Conference playoff race — behind the Knicks (23-24) and Bucks (21-25), winners of five and six straight, respectively. Of course, that projection jibes with the most recent Irish Coffee breakdown.

Regardless, Thursday night’s matchup between the seventh-seeded Celtics and ninth-place Bucks was the biggest thing to hit Milwaukee since the filming of “Bridesmaids.” But only the Celtics showed up, cruising 100-91.

Paul Pierce (25 points, 9 rebounds) led the charge. Rajon Rondo (10 points, 14 assists) Kevin Garnett (16 points, 10 rebounds) and Brandon Bass (12 points, 10 rebounds) all recorded double-doubles. And Greg Stiemsma (6 points, 5 blocks, 4 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists) filled up the stat sheet during his first NBA game in his home state.

The Celtics travel to Philadelphia on Friday night, trailing the 76ers by just 0.5 games for the Atlantic Division lead (and the fourth seed in the Eastern Conference). But first, let’s get to the Fast Break.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

Pushing for the cushion: The Celtics shot 58 percent from the field, including 4-of-5 from 3-point range, in the first quarter, taking an early 35-29 lead. Pierce scored 11 points in the frame, and Rondo added six. Whenever those two get involved early, good things happen for the C’s. At least for the first 12 minutes, they showed they could match Milwaukee’s newfound fast-paced offensive style of play. Obviously, it helps when the opposing team doesn’t play defense.

Oui, Oui, Oui: It’s no revelation at this point, but Mickael Pietrus‘ ability to make 3-pointers coming cold off the bench is remarkable. He knocked down a trio of triples in the first half, walking the walk after talking the talk. On top of his long-range shooting, a couple tough Pietrus (13 points) takes to the hoop in the fourth quarter helped the Celtics stretch their lead to double digits.

The Bucks stop here: On a nightly basis during this road trip, it seems Doc Rivers has said something to the tune of, “We’ve got to grind out games.” It didn’t appear Thursday night’s game would play out that way, as the two teams combined for 114 first-half points, but Stiemsma and Avery Bradley led an inspired defensive effort in the second half that turned the style-of-play tide in the Celtics favor.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Turkish terror: For the second straight meeting, Bucks 6-foot-10 power forward Ersan Ilyasova burned the Celtics, totaling 12 points and eight rebounds by halftime (he had 25 and 10 against the Celtics last month). Ilysasova (12 points, 14 rebounds) entered the game averaging 12.3 points and 8.6 rebounds in 27.0 minutes a night. For the record, he becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season (cc: Danny Ainge).

Oh, shoot: It wasn’t Ray Allen‘s night. He finished just 1-of-8 from the field, including 1-of-5 from 3-point range. And it’s not like he wasn’t getting good looks. Even wide open attempts weren’t falling for Allen. Luckily, the C’s held Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings (12-of-32 combined field goals) relatively in check.

Paint by numbers: Despite matching the Bucks on the glass for much of the night, Milwaukee owned a decided advantage in points in the paint (50-36). And that was on a night that Drew Gooden played awful basketball. The Celtics can get themselves in trouble when they settle for jumpers while the other team gets to the bucket, but even that didn’t seem to matter in Beertown.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME MILWALKEE Empty Re: POST GAME MILWALKEE

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am

Good win. Celtics played mediocre ball, but the Bucks are a TERRIBLE defensive team - so I always felt the C' s were in the game.

Now lets go avenge that blow out from a few weeks back in Philly.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:41 am

MRK

We need to send a message to this rookie team, no better then a hard defensive effort and a 15 pt win.

Go Celtics!

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 am

Hi,
Unrelated to the last night's game. Why doesn't Mr. Rohrbach call fraud a fraud? I'm talking about Hollinger.

Now, back to the good stuff. It was one of those games that I had no doubt about the end result: Celtics victory. If it weren't individual heroics of some of the Bucks the final score would be 20-30 in favor of Celtics instead of just 9.
OTOH, it wasn't that great on the Celtics side either. I'd give game ball to GS.
Interestingly enough, Doc kept AB for better part of the 4th quarter. And he did it for the good reason: neither Jennings nor Ellis couldn't get rid of the "Velcro". It disrupted their offensive flow and frustrated them enough to go to individual game: 1-on-3 or 1-on4. And as you know 3 or 4 usually win.
Overall, good win. Now off to brotherly love.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 am

The Bucks are a better team than when we faced them last. No Jackson, Bogut was out anyway, and they have Ellis and Udoh. Still not a very good team, not one that has been together long enough to develop chemistry, but better than they were. They had a 6 game winning streak coming in and that's not bad. Especially for a team with no center on the roster.

We outscored them in 3 out of 4 quarters. We had a 35 point 1st quarter. Man, can we bottle that? They had a consistent half offensively, with 29 points in each quarter, but they fell apart in the 2nd half. They ran, though, they did run. 25 fast break points for Milwaukee. That's a lot. Every time that got the ball they tried to run. Makes sense, if you're small you have to run away from the other team. What's weird though is that they had 50 points in the paint vs only 36 for us. This is, in part, because we were 7-17 from 3, so we were bombing away from distance, but for a team with no center to score 50 points in the paint? Ilyasova.

1. Pierce felt it last night. Not that he did everything right, he committed a couple of offensive charges, but he was aggressive and attacked. I can live with some charges if you're driving the defense back. He has been in a cold spell, so this is very welcome. We need him to ride this for at least one more night. We need him to attack Iggy and take away his game.

2. What I liked about Pietrus' game is that he actually put the ball on the floor and attacked the rim. Comically, the first two times he tried to do that, he walked. It has been so long since he's done anything besides take a 3 he forgot you have to dribble first. Then he got the hang of it. It makes a big difference when an athletic 6'6" player drives. One more game out of my doghouse. Keep it up and we'll have something here.

3. I really like Ilyasova's game. Very good rebounder for his size, he always seems to be around the ball.

4. Ray Allen couldn't throw the ball into Lake Michigan, but neither could Monta Ellis. The difference is that Monta didn't figure that out. 6-18 for the ME-baller from GSW vs 1-8 by Team player and future HOFer Ray Allen. Would I like to see Ray go on a tear? Sure (starting tonight would be nice) but if he just erases his opponent, I'm ok with that too.

5. Another body resurrected from the dead was Keyon Dooling. He actually played well last night. He hit his shots, he played some D, he actually didn't make me want to puke. I guess he got tired playing behind a 2nd year player.

6. Rondo frustrated me last night. He attacked the basket in the first half but was very sloppy with his ballhandling. Careening through traffic, throwing up horrible off-balance shots. There was one play, though, that made me understand a little better why Ainge was shopping him. He brings the ball over halfcourt and is dribbling near halfcourt. A Buck (I thought it was Udrih, but I don't see him credited for a steal) was on him. Rondo just diddled out there, for a long time, burning clock, daring the Buck to steal it from him. A poke and the ball went the other way in a hurry. Maybe it was Udrih and it was called a Rondo turnover instead of a Buck steal. Even so, he's very frustrating. Statistically, he had 14 assists and only 3 TOs, which is amazingly good, but sometimes I just gotta wonder about him.

6. A unit made up of mostly bench (Dooling, Bradley, Steamer, KG and Pietrus) did a good job of building a 2 point lead up to around 7. Man, if we could do that consistently we'd be soooo tough.

7. A fantastic game by Steamer. He had 2 blocks in his first time out on the floor and probably twice that many altered. He challenged everything. 5 blocks, ok we know he can do that, but 4 steals? He made a nice baseline and under layup for 2. We know he can't bang like Perk, but he does other things better. Let's be honest, who would you rather see the ball in the hands of, in the field or at the line, Perk or Steamer? When Perk plays, the offense is 4-on-5. Steamer is good enough the defense can't just fall off him. Does Steamer give up too much ground underneath? Yes, and he'll need to spend a lot of time working on his lower body strength this summer, but he also has a very good feel for defense. The shooters come to him, and then he blocks them. That's different than just muscling them away. Let's also remember this kid is an NBA rookie who was supposed to be #4 on the depth chart (JON, Wilcox, KG and then Steamer). He's doing yeoman work out there. Perk is a starter, he's supposed to be better, but how much is he really?

8. Solid game by Bass. My heart was in my throat when he went down and stayed down until play was stopped. 10 rebounds. Boy, do we need rebounders. We are NOT going to get that from Ryan Hollins, unfortunately. Bass has turned into a very good defender. Drew Gooden just could not get anything done last night. 2-12 with 3 rebounds? Great job of defense by Bass. Sometimes it's not about how many times your name gets called but how few times your mans' name gets called. A blue-collar player. MUCH more reliable than Baby. I realize I'm starting to sound like a broken record about Bass and Steamer, but they have been fantastic surprises for us this year and I think they're both only going to get better. They're only 26 years old and coming into their primes.

Screw this "brotherly love" crap. Payback is a bitch.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Bob's quote

Agree completely

7. A fantastic game by Steamer. He had 2 blocks in his first time out on the floor and probably twice that many altered. He challenged everything. 5 blocks, ok we know he can do that, but 4 steals? He made a nice baseline and under layup for 2. We know he can't bang like Perk, but he does other things better. Let's be honest, who would you rather see the ball in the hands of, in the field or at the line, Perk or Steamer? When Perk plays, the offense is 4-on-5. Steamer is good enough the defense can't just fall off him. Does Steamer give up too much ground underneath? Yes, and he'll need to spend a lot of time working on his lower body strength this summer, but he also has a very good feel for defense. The shooters come to him, and then he blocks them. That's different than just muscling them away. Let's also remember this kid is an NBA rookie who was supposed to be #4 on the depth chart (JON, Wilcox, KG and then Steamer). He's doing yeoman work out there. Perk is a starter, he's supposed to be better, but how much is he really?

Agree completely!

I don't check every game but on occasion looking at Perks line seems he doesn't do a lot and yes I know he does "other" things that don't equate to stats like setting picks and just being one tough cookie in the paint.
But look at his number basically attempts 4 shots a game and makes 2. (4.4PPG) Gets 1 assist and 2 turnovers. 6.3 boards 1 block all in 26 minutes.
And how many years has Perk been in then league?

Steamers numbers are getting better esp the last 10 games when we needed help he's done OK. No one expects greatness from him any more than we did Perk.

Will be interesting if he can continue to improve just what we might have down the road.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:30 pm

Boy, it makes such a difference when you don't did yourself a hole in the first quarter. The advances we're seeing this season are really heartening. I'm hoping that the quality testing ground known as April will give guys like Steamer, Bass and Bradley to elevate their newly honed skills so they'll be effective against more skilled, tricky opponents.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down