+4
sinus007
MDCelticsFan
RosalieTCeltics
8 posters

Go down

POST GAME NEW YORK Empty POST GAME NEW YORK

Post by 112288 Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:00 pm

Write it off.............Move on................

NEXT GAME WEDNESDAY - HOME - 8PM AGAINST ORLANDO - ESPN/CSNE

POST GAME WEEI 850 AM

FAST BREAK: KNICKS GARDEN 3 PARTY BARRAGES CELTICS

Another Atlantic Division title will have to wait. A record-setting 3-point barrage by the Knicks put the undermanned Celtics in a hole Paul Pierce couldn’t even dig them out of in a 118-110 defeat suffered in Madison Square Garden.

Pierce (43 pionts, 11-19 FG, 4-6 3P, 17-18 FT) became the first Celtics player to eclipse 40 points since he scored 50 on Feb. 15, 2006, but Knicks J.R. Smith (25 points, 7-10 3P) and Steve Novak (25 points, 8-10 3P) helped New York set an NBA record for 3-point field goals off the bench in a remarkable effort.

Carmelo Anthony‘s triple-double 35 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists) and Tyson Chandler‘s 20 points also contributed to a 56.8 shooting night for the Knicks.

With the bench getting outscored 55-2, the Celtics dropped to 36-26 despite quality offensive nights from Rajon Rondo (13 points, 13 assists, 6 rebounds), Kevin Garnett (20 points), Avery Bradley (17 points) and Brandon Bass (15 points).

The Knicks (32-29) moved a game ahead of the 76ers (31-30), who lost to the Pacers (40-22), so the Celtics will have to wait before clinching the division title and the Eastern Conference’s fourth seed. The C’s also dropped a game back in the loss column behind the idle Magic (36-25) and Hawks (36-25), who would own homecourt advantage as the fifth seed should they finish with a better record.

WHAT WENT WRONG

New York 3 party: When the horn mercifully signaled halftime, the Knicks had made 14-of-21 3-pointers (66.7%) — including 11 in the second quarter — to enter the break with a 72-53 advantage after the worst defensive 24 minutes of the Celtics season. Victimized by J.R. Smith (7-9 3P) and Steve Novak (4-6 3P) helped the Knicks tie records for treys both in a half and a quarter, and the 14 triples tied the most the C’s allowed in a game all season.

Finishing touches: Led by the starting backcourt duo of Bradley and Rondo, the Celtics staked themselves to a 24-17 advantage with 3:38 remaining in the first quarter, but Anthony led a Knicks charge that resulted in a 32-26 deficit after the opening 12 minutes. Anthony finished the frame with 12 points on 5-of-7 shooting.

Forwards, backwards: The ailments of Ray Allen (ankle) and Mickael Pietrus (knee) forced Celtics coach Doc Rivers to start the second quarter with a lineup that included Marquis Daniels, Sasha Pavlovic and Keyon Dooling. That translated into the Knicks putting the finishing touches on an 18-0 run (and 23-2 overall) that began in the first quarter. And that was before New York’s 3-point onslaught really got going.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

Backcourt boys: If not for New York’s ridiculous long-range aim in the opening 24 minutes, the first-half 3-point shooting of Bradley and Rondo may have been a bigger story. The two combined for perfect 6-of-6 shooting beyond the arc. In the first half alone, Bradley recorded 14 points (5-6 FG, 4-4 3P) while Rondo totaled 11 points (4-5 FG, 2-2 3P) and 9 assists.

Truth is: Playing the entire third quarter, Pierce scored 17 of his 43 points. His three straight free throws led a charge from the starters that cut the Knicks lead to 81-71, and then a late 3-pointer helped the Celtics remain within 12 despite at times limping on his injured toe and carrying the bench to end the third quarter trailing 96-84.

Surviving a scare: Also in the third quarter, vying for a rebound with Chandler, Rondo fell hard on his tailbone and lay on the Garden floor for a few minutes that seemed like hours. Perhaps saved by the padded spandex he wears under his shorts, Rondo returned the game — with help from trainer Ed Lacerte and strength coach Bryan Doo — but moved gingerly throughout the fourth quarter. Still, while Rondo may be sore on Wednesday when the Celtics host the Magic, the initial fall looked as though things could have been much worse.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME NEW YORK Empty Re: POST GAME NEW YORK

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 am

I hope we dodged a bullet with Rondo. It was one scary sight watching him lie on the floor for those few minutes. Thank God he is young and will probably bounce back Wednesday night. He will definitely be sore this morning.

Watching that first half was agonizing, it seems as if Carmelo is bound and determined to prove to the basketball world that he is a true super star who
can do it all. He certainly did it last night. Once you give up that many 3 pointers, the entire team has the courage to take them. Give them their due, they were tough last night in the first half, and kept the Celtics at arms length long enough to win the game. I hate it when the Celtics get down
by fifteen or more in the first half, they have to use so much energy to get back into the game that there is not enough to finish it off. Steamer had a
tough game last night, never seemed to be into it at all. That put the pressure on KG to play more.

Oh well, hopefully they will beat Orlando tonight ane get closer to the Atlantic division title. It would be nice to rest a few of these guys for a game or two,
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am

Rosie:

You're right anytime something like that happens to Rondo your heart goes up in your throat and you feel queasy at the stomach. I really don't know how Rondo deals with the pounding he takes especially against a physical team. Eventually, I'm afraid he's going to become somewhat gun shy and that may help his health, but will do nothing for the Celtic offensive effort. Overstating the obvious, a consistent mid range jumper would be good health insurance for Rondo-Better than Blue Cross Blue Shield, or Workmen's Comp.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:03 am

Hi,
It was one of those games where everything thrown by Knicks were falling through the net. Nothing you can do about it.
OTOH, Celtics' defense at times looked like a swiss cheese. I don't know what happened but it wasn't Celtics defense, far from it. I hope Doc will address it for today's game.
I think Celtics were kind of lucky: it'll take a lot of time and effort to eradicate system installed in NYK by the defensive genius MD.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm sick as a dog and am heading home after this.

1. Pierce tried like hell to carry the team. He was in one of his zones. Normally, I'm not a fan of one-on-one offense but we needed points to offset their barrages of 3s. A 40 point quarter. I don't remember ever seeing one of those. We gave up 72 points in the first half, so we can't just blame that quarter, the defense for that entire half stunk.

The Knicks are doomed. This is as good as they will ever play and we made a game of it after all.

2. The Master of Disaster has a team that is basically 11 3pt shooters + Howard. I don't think I've ever seen shooting like this by a team, including that one. They shot >59% from 3 and took 32 of them. 43% of their fga were 3s. I knew we were in deep doodoo when JR Smith hit that off-balance, 30-foot buzzerbeating 3. When those are going in it's going to be a long night.

3. I'd like to say our pick-and-roll defense was horrible, but that would infer that we actually played some. Tyson Chandler is a beefier Ryan Hollins, who can't score if it's not a layup or dunk. He had 20 points on 9-10 shooting because nobody played the roll. I hate to say it, but this might be the worst defense I've ever seen KG play. Thanks, KG, for making Mike Bibby look good. Yuck.

4. Their bench scored 55 points, 25 by Smith and Novack each bombing away. They shot 15-20 for 75% from three. Will that happen again? Probably not, so I'm ok with losing this game like that. Our bench, on the other hand, only scored 2 points. Forget about NY, 2 points by our bench is bad.

5. Funny how TNT didn't replay those 3 bullshit calls on Sasha guarding Melo. Bad calls both ways. Sasha tried to guard Melo, and did ok, but those calls...! Steamer had a bad night, let's not mince words, but I like the way he ran back on defense and made a hard foul on JR Smith to prevent a layup and when Melo started talking to him Steamer walked right up to Melo and started woofing back. I'd rather have a good game than a good attitude, but considering there was nothing we could do about this game, attitude looks good.

6. Bradley is really, really loving that corner 3. If the defense comes out to him, he'll run past them, if they don't he cans it. All the things that worried us about him are one-by-one being fixed.

7. The pre-game report was that Ray Allen was ready to go "without limitations", per Doc. He never took off his warmups. Something going on there, and it isn't good.

Alright, it's time to move on. when someone shoots like that from 3 AND takes that many of them, it's really hard NOT to lose. We made a game of it. The Knicks playing out of their minds and we got to within a few possessions of winning. I'm as happy with that as I can be with a loss. Did not like the defense though. Swiss cheese is more substantial than what they played last night.

Orlando at home tonight. Let's take it out on them. Detroit at Atlanta. Then we're in Atlanta on Friday. What a schedule.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:19 pm

You're right Bob, they will fail. Melo will kill this team yet, he is getting the other guys to shoot those long, long three's. They were lucky last night, they went in. Wait until the playoffs when defenses really tighten up, it just is impossible to keep up that pace.

Pierce played like a possessed man last night, I wish they had won just to make him look like the great player he is.

With all these crazy reports coming out recently about Allen and Pierce, you wonder if all those retirement reports aren't a reaction to them. Not Allen so much as Pierce. He wants so much to retire a Celtic. Oh well, business is
business. I still find it hard to believe Danny would trade Paul, they need someone from this era of Celtic basketball to retire in Green. I only wish it
would be all three, but it doesn't look that way.

Take care of yourself, Bob, there is alot of stuff going around. The hospital here is loaded and is sending patients to other hospitals because they have no beds. Just take care...
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Is Steve Novak for real with that Aaron Rodgers / Discount Doublecheck dance after every shot in a meaningless game?

Really?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:59 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Is Steve Novak for real with that Aaron Rodgers / Discount Doublecheck dance after every shot in a meaningless game?

Really?

Mrkleen,

You're right! I forgot about that.

Tres bushleague.

What the hell is that anyway? Celebration of the spare tire around the waist or what?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:01 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Is Steve Novak for real with that Aaron Rodgers / Discount Doublecheck dance after every shot in a meaningless game?

Really?

I guess it wasn't a meaningless game for him since they are down to the last few games of fighting for a playoff spot and/or avoid to Chicago in the first round since many of their players would actually prefer Miami as their initial opponent, especially if the Knicks can have Stoudemire back.

It IS a bit lame, but honestly how many players in the NBA make exaggerated shows when they do something good for their team. To single out Novak among all the other ridiculous exhibitionists in the league is not worth the time. He is in a LARGE group.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:08 pm

steve3344 wrote: I guess it wasn't a meaningless game for him since they are down to the last few games of fighting for a playoff spot and/or avoid to Chicago in the first round since many of their players would actually prefer Miami as their initial opponent, especially if the Knicks can have Stoudemire back.

It IS a bit lame, but honestly how many players in the NBA make exaggerated shows when they do something good for their team. To single out Novak among all the other ridiculous exhibitionists in the league is not worth the time. He is in a LARGE group.

The Knicks will get blown out but Chicago or Miami.....so it is a question of lasting 4 games or 5 before they get bounced.

As for Novak, he is a one trick, marginal player at best who did it over and over again. If Lebron or Kobe or Pierce even, wanted to showboat after dropping 40 points - fine. Novak hitting a few shots in a blowout? Not buying it.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:10 am

Agreed, Novak acted like he nor anyone else had ever made a 3 before. Bush league.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down