Matty
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
gyso
MDCelticsFan
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Source: Ray Allen Likely Signs With Miami Empty Source: Ray Allen Likely Signs With Miami

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:26 am

By HOOPSWORLD
Basketball News & NBA Rumors

The general consensus around the NBA is that Ray Allen will sign with Miami. “Barring a change, he’ll join the Heat,” said a league source.

Back to top Go down

Source: Ray Allen Likely Signs With Miami Empty Re: Source: Ray Allen Likely Signs With Miami

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 am

Rosalie cannot like this. Rosalie, put in a call to him or Shannon and convince him to stay in Boston, Please!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Source: Ray Allen Likely Signs With Miami Empty Re: Source: Ray Allen Likely Signs With Miami

Post by gyso Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:37 am

FWIW, this report is generally being disregarded on CelticsBlog as being nothing new and it adds no concrete sources.

Some comments suggest that the folks at Hoopsworld like to be able to later claim they were first with "the scoop" but make no responsibility when a reported rumor doesn't pan out.

Another comment was that this was like watching a disaster in slow motion. "You know it’s coming but there’s nothing you can do about it. It’s almost worse to have it drag on. I’d rather just hit the wall and have Ray sign there rather now than hear rumor after rumor everyday."

"Barring a change, he'll join the Heat"? Okay, that is a fairly useless statement. Useless but safe (LOL)

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 pm

And Royce White was given a promise by the Celtics. Then we learn that he wouldn't even work out for the Celtics, suggesting that the promise, if there even is one, came from a team ahead of us.

The draft is tomorrow, Thank God, and a whole lot of things will become clearer after we see who ends up wit whom. Free agents can be signed 7/1. Ray is recovering from ankle surgery and will be 37 years old. That's a whole lot of information to be waiting on.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:30 pm

I have to deal with the idea that Ray will take his talents to south beach, But,
I won't believe it until I see it. I have read so many rumors on HOOPSWORLD, BLEACHER REPORTS, REDS ARMY, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, YAHOO, and many more that I know I have missed, that it is really becoming a joke.

There is one thing I will say, if Ray goes, good luck to him, however, first and formost: I AM A CELTIC, HAVE BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE. So......if he goes, goodbye, thanks for the memories, and I hope you lose every game you play against the Celtics!!

Sorry, Ray, stay, and I will be a forever fan!!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:35 pm

No Rosalie: If Ray stays, you will continue to be a forever fan!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Ainge believes Allen 'open' to return
June, 27, 2012

By Greg Payne | ESPNBoston.com

WALTHAM -- Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said on Wednesday that he's spoken with free agent guard Ray Allen and believes he is "open" to returning to Boston for another season.

Ainge can't technically discuss a new contract with Allen until July 1, per NBA rules, but he said he has been able to get a feel for where Allen may be leaning.

"Yeah, I think Ray's open to coming back," Ainge said. "But, listen, I don't know. I won't even get into details with talking to players other than the exit interviews and Ray was getting rehab here, and we've talked. So I have a feel of where his head is, but I'll know more in July."

Allen, who's been reportedly linked to several other teams, including the Miami Heat, underwent right ankle surgery on June 13 to have bone spurs removed. While the rehab period gave Ainge extra time to speak with Allen, he said they hadn't broken into talks of a new contract.

"I have had conversations with Ray, yes," Ainge said. "Not contract-specific, but just sort of what his hopes and future [are], what he thinks about our team and would he like to come back and all those types of things. But I haven't had any more specifics and on July 1 we'll talk more to Ray."

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:14 pm

I THINK RAY ALLEN WILL SIGN WITH THE CELTICS!

WHY?

Ray youngest son has Juvenile Diabetes. As a parent you want to stay where his son's doctors are. It's important for the parents......trust with the doctors........
it's important for Ray's son who is familiar with his doctors. You do not want to subject Big Change in a child's life.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:16 am

I would like to think you are right, change in a child's life can be life altering. Let's hope Danny can impress him enough to consider staying here and retiring a Celtic. It is the right thing, career wise also.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:15 am

one thing boston has going for them is, we'll be able to offer Ray a lot more money than what Miami could- they are at 3 million, i beleive as the most they can toss at him.

I really dont think a two year deal from Boston for 5+ with a team option for a third year would be out of the question.

Im not sure what Danny's plans are, but i sure dont think it would hurt to have a meeting with Doc, himself, Paul and bring in KG & Ray and look to keep them together for another two yrs, the idea of the three going out together i think would have to have a certian degree of emotional pull.

i mean hell, had game two been more evenly called....

and we'll have a healthier squad next season, there is no reason at all to consider this squad's window is closed- this team can go as deep into the playoffs as anyone.

today ought to be interesting... 2 firsts this draft, and as i understand it, now 5 or 6 second round picks in the next 3 yrs.. tradebait!
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:48 am

Matty

At 36 years for RA even 2 years seems a bit of a reach, 3 out of the question but then if the price is reasonable?? And what does RA expect or want?? He most likely would have to come off the bench and does he want this? Think a 1 year deal with a team option for a second would make the most sense. He is not going to get "better" as a player obviously. Perhaps he could begin assume a role as an assistant coach. He certainly knows the game.

Big question is what does DA have up his sleeve? And can we remain a factor while retooling?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:08 am

Beat,
we're all intrigued about what Danny might have up his sleave.. like i pointed out, in addition to the 21,22 & 51st picks we got us a slew of other draft picks now..

between today and the draft of 2015 we have 5 firsts and 8 second rounders (a couple conditional)

i dont see the sense in keeping them all when theres a chance to packege some of that to move up in the draft or trade for a player now. im wondering if danny see's things the same way? we'll know in a few hrs!!

about Ray though, spurs aside Ray is still in better shape than 80% of the league, i can easily see him going Nash on us and being around 2, 3 or more yrs.

one thing with Ray though, considering Avery's new value to the team it's a sure thing that Ray will see reduced minutes.

one thing about Avery though is, as i recall, one of our early nice runs in the season was with Rondo out and Avery playing the pg position..

with Rondo, Avery and Ray all healthy, I dont see why we cant use Avery in a bit of a combo guard role..

in a role with Avery coming off the bench, we could play Allen much like we tried to do with KG, have him sit early.. avery come in for him,, when rondo needs a break a few min later, Avery switches to PG and Ray comes back in at the 2..

we'd create a nightmare for other point guards 48 min a game.. Ray's minutes could be reduced, keeping him more effective- but not so much that he becomes a forgotten wheel. A fresh Ray allen is a very threatening ray allen.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:28 pm

IMO

Ray Allen is a 6th man now. Avery Bradley needs to start for the Celtics.

If Ray cant handle that role....time to move on.

Celtics need to look forward, not backwards.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:26 pm

MK,

AGREED! TIME FOR ALL TO MAN-UP!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:56 pm

Now Phoenix is being mentioned as pursuing Ray Allen aggressively.

Considering you're not allowed to talk to free agents until 7/1, how the hell do all these rumors start?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:59 pm

bobheckler wrote:Now Phoenix is being mentioned as pursuing Ray Allen aggressively.

Considering you're not allowed to talk to free agents until 7/1, how the hell do all these rumors start?

bob

BDC
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Agents.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:26 pm

How do these rumors start when teams aren't even allowed to talk to free agents yet? Sportswriters, bloggers, and pontificators have to fill pages and airtime, and agents and GMs play their games by feeding these guys information and disinformation. Maybe a few out there actually know what they're talking about, but it's too much effort sorting out that small minority from all the rest. Most of these people would rather be first than right, and most would rather pile up web site hits in the frenzy before the draft or trading deadline or The Next Big Event.

Maybe Ray will sign with Miami; maybe he won't. (My guess is that he'll sign someplace other than Boston, but it wouldn't shock me if he wound up with the Celtics.) Who knows what KG will do. The business of reading these tea leaves seems like a lot of wasted energy, and I have yet to see someone making a prediction include a scorecard of how often they were correct in the past.

I long for the days when I could just go backpacking for a while and read about what actually happened after I got back instead of worrying endlessly about what might happen. Short of that, I think I'll relax and see how things sort out.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:12 am

this from Doc regarding Bostons F/A:"I like where we're at right now [with] everything I hear. So I'm excited by that but ... I've had promises and guys have gone other places. I feel good about our [own free agents], I'll just put it that way, and we'll see about everybody else."

i take that as at least optamistic that Ray could be taking his talents absolutely nowhere.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Ray going to Memphis?

Memphis Grizzlies to make an offer to Ray Allen

Grizzlies will offer a full mid-level exception ($5)

Source: Ray Allen Likely Signs With Miami 21

The Grizzlies have made veteran sharpshooter Ray Allen a prime offseason target and planned to contact him late Saturday night in the first step of what promises to be a strong pursuit of the NBA's all-time leading three-point shooter.

Memphis, according to sources familiar with the team's plans, will offer Allen its full mid-level exception ($5 million) in hopes of luring him away from other suitors — such as Miami — with only the mini-mid-level ($3 million) to spend

http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba/40330/memphis-grizzlies-to-make-an-offer-to-ray-allen.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:25 pm

gyso wrote:Ray going to Memphis?
It's just one of the options he'll have. They obviously wanted to cut ties with OJ Mayo and consider Ray a significant upgrade. Tony Allen has been the starter at the 2, so either he goes to the bench or Ray does. In any event, Memphis has significant minutes to offer, and as history has shown, it's not necessarily who starts but who finishes.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:53 pm

I would be surprised if Ray went to the highest bidder.

Ray has made a ton of money.

he is not worth $5 million in my opinion.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:31 am

gyso wrote:Ray going to Memphis?

Memphis Grizzlies to make an offer to Ray Allen

Grizzlies will offer a full mid-level exception ($5)

Source: Ray Allen Likely Signs With Miami 21

The Grizzlies have made veteran sharpshooter Ray Allen a prime offseason target and planned to contact him late Saturday night in the first step of what promises to be a strong pursuit of the NBA's all-time leading three-point shooter.

Memphis, according to sources familiar with the team's plans, will offer Allen its full mid-level exception ($5 million) in hopes of luring him away from other suitors — such as Miami — with only the mini-mid-level ($3 million) to spend

http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba/40330/memphis-grizzlies-to-make-an-offer-to-ray-allen.html

This is an excerpt from redsarmy.com, discussing the salary cap implications of a Ray Allen-to-Memphis scenario, and what about a sign-and-trade for OJ Mayo. Perhaps gyso has learned the new CBA well enough to vette this, I haven't.

If the Celtics are REALLY intent on getting OJ Mayo, and the Grizzlies are REALLY intent on getting Ray Allen, then we have ourselves a nice little formula for a straight-up sign-and-trade. If the Celtics want to give Mayo more than the $5 mid-level, and Memphis is willing to go higher than the mid-level for Ray Allen… then they can find a comfortable salary range that works for both teams, and one that works in the trade rules.

By the way, under the trade rules, the Celtics can send whatever Ray Allen’s salary would be, and receive 150% of that, plus $100,000 IF they are not a tax paying team. So they can take back a number much higher than mid-level in this scenario. So if they signed Ray for $6 million, they could bring back OJ Mayo at $9 million. If they are a tax paying team, they can take back 125% of the outgoing salary… which would be $7.5 million. The determination on what the rule would be whether they are under the tax level at the time of the trade.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:44 am

Ray is going for a ring not the money. We cannot look at where Ray can get max money - Bob Cats on a sign and trade.

Look to Miami or Celtics to make his wish come true.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:22 pm

112288 wrote:Ray is going for a ring not the money. We cannot look at where Ray can get max money - Bob Cats on a sign and trade.

Look to Miami or Celtics to make his wish come true.

Ray has said his primary focus is on his family and their comfort and sense of stability. He has been very upset the past few years, being the subject of trade rumors. He has said he wants a multi-year deal. If we have 2 things going in our favor it's that he knows who he's going to be going to war with and there are some very good Type 1 diabetes hospitals in Boston. What we have going against us is the loss of face that he might feel by not starting, whatever his issues are with Rondo and that Danny might not want to offer him a 3 year deal like KG.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next