GRASS NO GREENER FOR RAY ALLEN IN MIAMI

3 posters

Go down

GRASS NO GREENER FOR RAY ALLEN IN MIAMI Empty GRASS NO GREENER FOR RAY ALLEN IN MIAMI

Post by 112288 Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 am

WEEI

DAN GUTTENPLAN

After leaving the Celtics to sign with the Heat last summer, Ray Allen leaked many reasons for his departure.

Ray Allen was all smiles when he joined Pat Riley (left) and coach Erik Spoelstra to announce he was joining the Heat, but his opportunities have been more limited than with the Celtics. (AP)
The 37-year-old marksman felt disrespected last season by a trade that would have sent him to Memphis in exchange for O.J. Mayo, which fell through at the last minute. Allen was insulted by a midseason move to a reserve role in favor of Avery Bradley. And he was looking for a team with better chemistry after years of struggling to co-exist with Rajon Rondo.

Nearly half a season later, it's safe to say Allen has not satisfied any of those concerns in his new locale. In Miami, Allen is playing fewer minutes than he ever did as a Celtic. He has not started a single game of the 37 he's played. He took less money and less security in Miami, turning down a no-trade clause to stay in Boston. And Allen is again playing for a team that has seen its elite players engage in a public tug-of-war for touches and shots.

Allen's productivity has declined in Miami, although his efficiency has improved in comparison to last season, when he played much of the latter half injured with bone spurs in his ankles. Allen's minutes have dropped from 34.0 last season to 25.5 this season, and his scoring average has dropped from 14.2 to 11.2. Allen left Boston only to see less time on the court and fewer shots. However, being surrounded by LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh has made Allen a more efficient scorer. His true shooting percentage of 61.9 is the second-highest mark in Allen's career, behind only the 2008-09 season (62.4).

Assessing how these numbers stack up against what Allen left behind in Boston, it's clear he would be getting more playing time and shots in Celtic green -- and not just because Avery Bradley missed the first 30 games of the season. Perhaps Jason Terry is playing the role most similar to the one the Celtics had in mind for Allen when they offered him a two-year deal worth $12 million. Terry is averaging 29.1 minutes per game, four more than Allen. Even if you concede that Terry was signed before Allen chose to leave Boston, you have to figure Allen would be getting more minutes than Courtney Lee, who is averaging 22.9 minutes per game, just 2.3 fewer than Allen.

If Allen left the Celtics because he was insulted by Bradley's transition into the starting lineup last season, he chose a new location where he is not only playing a reserve role but is playing fewer minutes than he would in Boston.

In terms of job security, Allen also took less money and less of a long-term commitment in Miami. The Celtics offered the two-year deal worth $12 million with a no-trade guarantee. The Heat offered one year at $3 million with a player option for 2013-14. Allen does not have a no-trade clause in Miami. The 6-foot-4 shooting guard may have been insulted when his name was constantly involved in trade talks in Boston, but there is no guarantee he will be in Miami for the next two seasons. The Celtics were willing to guarantee that fate.

Finally, Allen appeared to grow tired of Rondo's propensity to ignore the greatest 3-point shooter of all-time in halfcourt sets, with the point guard sometimes staring down Allen only to move the ball to the other side of the floor. Not only have Allen's shot attempts decreased in Miami, but the team bickering has increased.

The Heat recently dropped three games in a four-game stretch, culminating with a loss in Utah on Monday night. Wade finished the night with 11 points and was benched for the final period. After the game, he said, "Coach makes the calls. I'm just a player."

It's tough to imagine that quote coming out of a Celtics player's mouth in the Doc Rivers era.

Bosh seemed equally apathetic toward the team concept in his postgame interview.

“Well, you know, sometimes I’m in a position where I have to compete with my guys for the rebound,” Bosh said. “And sometimes I do get beat. I’m human. You know, I’m a ballplayer.”

Of course, if the Heat go deep in the playoffs in May and June, as is expected, Allen's decision to leave Boston for Miami will look prophetic. He'll have another championship to add to his Hall of Fame resume. We can all agree that winning is the ultimate motivator.

However, the confusing part about Allen's departure is he never once mentioned winning potential as his reason for leaving. Instead, it seemed he didn't want to accept being treated like a lesser player, and make the decision to willfully step down in the team's hierarchy of great players. In Miami, that decision has been made for him.

Back to top Go down

GRASS NO GREENER FOR RAY ALLEN IN MIAMI Empty Re: GRASS NO GREENER FOR RAY ALLEN IN MIAMI

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Boo Hoo. Pobrecito...

Heheheheh.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

GRASS NO GREENER FOR RAY ALLEN IN MIAMI Empty Re: GRASS NO GREENER FOR RAY ALLEN IN MIAMI

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:13 pm

I wish I could say that I feel sorry for Ray - but it was obvious from the beginning that this was going to happen. It wasn't Rondo he was running away from it was Doc and Danny. Maybe being on the golf course more during off time is more comforting to him.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down