Clearing out Bill Russell clutter

+2
MDCelticsFan
rickdavisakaspike
6 posters

Go down

Clearing out Bill Russell clutter - Page 2 Empty Re: Clearing out Bill Russell clutter

Post by Sam Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Spike et al,

Although he played only a few seasons with them, I always thought Bailey Howell was the perfect Celtic. He excelled in important areas of the game without having the physical attributes tradtionally required in those areas. And he did it primarily through strength, smarts, shooting accuracy and sheer will.

In those days, when conditioning programs usually consisted largely of watching Jack LaLanne on television, players often invented their own. One of Bailey's favorites for strengthening his thighs consisted of standing with his back against a wall, gradually sliding down the wall, without moving his feet, until he appeared to be sitting against the wall, and remaining in that position for as long as he could. It put tremendous pressure on the thighs. Bails could do it for several minutes. I was just recently out of the Army and in very good shape, and I tried it once. I lasted about 15 seconds.

He was also noted for being a teetotaler of the highest moral character—always the one to lead the team in prayer after games (including the Balloon Game). But he also had a short anger fuse.

Once, when we were playing golf, he dubbed a fairway wood shot that rolled maybe 35 yards. He wound up and heaved the club well beyond the ball, screaming an epithet that can best be described as a rooster eating a popsicle. Except for the click of ball on club, there was complete silence for the final five holes.

As for Wilt, many people overlook the fact that the Lakers' comeback gained momentum after Wilt departed and was replaced by Mel Counts. Old Man Russ had been beating Wilt down the floor—often by a wide margin—and the fresher Counts checked Russ better than Wilt had been doing. I don't believe Russ scored for the remainder of the game with his former teammate guarding him. And Counts scored some too. In fact, late in the fourth quarter, Counts sank a long jumper that would have evened the score if he had not been called for traveling. Putting Wilt back in the game when he was possibly below par physically would have run the risk of unleashing Russ for some easy fast break buckets.

The Wilt thing is a debate that will probably never end. But, as far as I'm concerned, the only thing that counts is that the Celtics beat the snot out of the Lakers in the first and third quarters (when Wilt was perfectly healthy), and there was simply too much ground for the Lakers to make up—Wilt or no Wilt.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Clearing out Bill Russell clutter - Page 2 Empty Re: Clearing out Bill Russell clutter

Post by bobc33 Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:34 pm

Sam, we had a Jesuit priest who was a friend of the family and would visit a couple of times a year when I was a kid. He always had me attempt what he called the "Iron Chair" and he supposedly marked my progress each year. Same exercise you are describing and try with all my might it wasn't good enough for him. He was a real tough guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:33 pm

That's a great name for that exercise, Bob.
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down