Outside
swedeinestonia
beat
Berlin-T
bobheckler
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Orlando Summer League, Game 3 vs Pacers - Page 2 Empty Re: Orlando Summer League, Game 3 vs Pacers

Post by Berlin-T Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:42 pm

Unbelievable!
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Orlando Summer League, Game 3 vs Pacers - Page 2 Empty Re: Orlando Summer League, Game 3 vs Pacers

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Great block by Lasme. Finally, he did something right.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:51 pm

See what I mean? Fab Melo our point-center.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Finally, a game where we led pretty much all the way. A short lead for Indiana in the 2nd, but we were in control for most of it.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Hey, we're 3 and 0. Let's go for the Summer-league banner!
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:06 pm

bobheckler wrote:Joseph looking silky. I'm impressed with his D, considering he only played zone under Boeheim. How the hell does Boeheim get so many players into the NBA when he doesn't coach NBA defense?
Joseph and Melo are examples of how zone principles really work, particularly for a 2-3 zone. Perimeter players in a zone are essentially playing a switching man-to-man in order to stay with their area assignment. If an opponent is in their area, they play aggressive defense on him (very aggressive, in the case of Boeheim's 2-3 zone). Pressure on the ball is crucial, and the territory covered by a perimeter defender in a zone extends out to the three-point line, so they have to be quick on their feet and under control. Man-to-man defensive skills still apply.

The center in a 2-3 zone operates differently, especially when you have an "aircraft carrier" type like Melo. His job is to patrol the paint and contest inside shots. Yes, he has to guard a man who comes in his area, but the zone relies heavily on perimeter players collapsing into the paint if the ball goes in there. Melo's main role as the center of the zone is as a deterrent and to challenge the shot of any opponent who gets by a perimeter defender. That means he's had lots of practice at blocking shots as an off-the-ball defender, but not so much at defending a post player NBA-style.

That's not to say Melo can't learn those defensive skills, but he has a much longer way to go than a guy like Joseph who played the perimeter in a zone.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Here's the boxscore: http://www.nba.com/summer-league/games/20120711/INDBOS/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

Matt Janning, a player Sam and I liked from summer league 2 years back didn't play today for Indy. Hmm, trying to hide him?

Celtics had 6 players in double digits. Impressive, given they are only 40 minute games.

Xmas, 4-11 on unreliable shooting, but 4 boards, 5 assists with 0 TOs and 3 steals (including a spectacular one on scoring machine Lance Stevenson). His shooting may keep him out of the NBA, but he does everything else well. He is a natural point guard, even at 6'5". Another guard (I can't remember if it was Lamar Smith or Jonathon Gibson) got the rebound and started trotting upcourt and Xmas called for the ball. They passed it to him and he brought it over halfcourt and started the halfcourt offense. That's a natural point guard. Put the ball in my hands and go to your spot. The fact that both those players are guards and shorter didn't matter, he called for the ball. I liked that.

Sean Williams got dunked on repeatedly. It has happened for 3 games straight now. I thought he showed great promise last season, and looked good in the 1st half of game 1 of summer league, not now.

Sully with 16 and 8, but 5 TOs. He loves contact. Loves it. Great passer for a big. Great courtvision.

Kris Joseph is coming to camp. I guarantee it. Whether he makes the team or not has to do with who else is signed, but he's coming to camp. He has shown more than enough already to earn an invite. Another silky game for Joseph. A reliable shooter, aggressive driver, good D (despite not playing man-to-man at Syracuse). 12 points on 4-8 and 1-2 from 3. 3 steals. He has shown poise and talent, coming off off picks and hitting shots. Hustles on D. Good size at 6'7". Could be another late draft gem, #51, found by Danny along with Moore, #55.

JJJ is flying under the radar. 11 points on 5-8 in 21 minutes isn't bad. 5 boards and 2 blocks isn't bad. He's just not making plays that are making me say "Yeah, now that's what I've been looking for!" I'm trying to remember that he had no summer league, almost no pre-season and almost no practice last season, which puts him just slightly ahead of this year's rookies. That thread I started about whether he could play 3? Fuhget 'bout it.

Good game by Moore. He is scoring and attacking aggressively. His D has been pretty good. He's running the team with more confidence, although he is not a natural point guard like Xmas.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Had to work and missed this one. Ii enjoyed the comments on this thread. Sounds a lot like the first two games, but with a more consistent lead.

Based on what I've seen (and heard) so far, I believe I could be very happy with a depth chart of Pierce, J. Green and a developing Joseph at SF.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:49 pm

sam wrote:Had to work and missed this one. Ii enjoyed the comments on this thread. Sounds a lot like the first two games, but with a more consistent lead.

Based on what I've seen (and heard) so far, I believe I could be very happy with a depth chart of Pierce, J. Green and a developing Joseph at SF.

Sam

sam,

PG - Rondo, Terry, Xmas?
SG - Bradley, Moore
SF - PP, JG, KJ
PF - Bass, Sully, JJJ
C - KG, Melo

That's 13. NO depth at 5. Sully has struggled against height and this is just summer league, which isn't even D-league. He's not a center. We're stacked at 3 and 4. We're ok at 1 and 2, since Terry, Bradley and Moore can combo at 1/2.

We NEED another 5. Forget about OJ Mayo and etc. We NEED another 5.

Miami has gotten stronger by replacing Matt Miller with Ray Allen and adding Rashard Lewis. LAL has gotten stronger by replacing first D-Fish with Ramon Sessions and now replacing him with Nash. OKC has gotten stronger by adding Perry Jones III. We NEED another 5. We cannot "out-wing" Miami or OKC with this roster, nor can we out-pound LAL. We could outrun LAL, since Nash is a halfcourt PG, but that's our edge.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:34 pm

The reason why da and doc keep talking about Sully playing center is because we are overloaded at the 4 spot. Sully has the girth but not the length of a 5.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:48 pm

I did not see the game so I appreciate all the posts.
Dvr the game though and will watch tonight.

From what I am seeing Moore looks ready to assume a rotational role. And Joseph is a solid 3 that will not be expensive to keep.

Celts will need to keep Steimsma or Hollins because Melo has a long way to go...

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:06 pm

I am also very impressed by Joseph. I didn't see any of today's game, so my analysis is of the first two games.
He is a very smooth player who believe it or not reminds me of a young Bernard King.
As I have said before, I don't care much about college stats, I need to see the player with my own eyes to see how he plays.
So far, Melo and Sullinger have played pretty much as expected against summer league players.
Joseph looks like he could be a serious contributor in the league. He is not going to be off the charts with his athleticism but he is obviously a smart player that can slash through the lane or pull up for a mid range jump shot.

With maybe only 1 or 2 roster spots left, Boston has some tough decisions to make since a number of their players this week have shown some nice potential.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Who is JG at the 3? Oh duh, Jeff Green of course. It's been so long since I've seen him in a Celtics uinform I forgot. What about Chris Wilcox? Has he become expendable with Sully on board? He can play some 5, at least better than Hollins. Primary target for Danny has to be at the 5. Curious that there's been no news of Celtic free agent signings today. Doubt that means Dwight is coming here in a blockbuster trade.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:11 pm

W

I forgot about Wilcox.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Just got back home after getting my Ars handed to me on the course. Tied with the kid at 85 with 2 holes to go ( we actually played a legit course 5500 yards) #17 400yds I hit a good drive then proceed to hit 2 straight in the water, scuff a chip and 2 putt for a 9!!!!! Marcus meanwhile crushed his drive at 300+ got it over the pond and got down in 2. 5 shot swing and it was all over but the crying.

Watched the second half I'll say right now Joseph not only makes camp but makes the team. Think 4 years of playing at SU with good teammates and against good competition. Give Melo 2 more years and he'd be miles further ahead too.

Christmas??, gotta wonder if he could slip in a spot with us too.

We need BIG, not sure what is really out there either. KG and Melo with PT help from Sully will not be enough.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Remember when Dallas traded Tractor Traylor for Dirk? If only Danny could so lucky.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:59 pm

worcester wrote:Remember when Dallas traded Tractor Traylor for Dirk? If only Danny could so lucky.

Or JBC Joe Barry Carroll ( Joe barely cares) became McHale and Parish in one swoop!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:15 pm

beat wrote:
worcester wrote:Remember when Dallas traded Tractor Traylor for Dirk? If only Danny could so lucky.

Or JBC Joe Barry Carroll ( Joe barely cares) became McHale and Parish in one swoop!

beat

Rick Robey for Dennis Johnson wasn't too bad either.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Has Steamer been offered a contract yet?? Seems awful quiet on that front.
Another loss for Danny?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:19 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Has Steamer been offered a contract yet?? Seems awful quiet on that front.
Another loss for Danny?

Rosalie,

No word there. Minny has not made an offer. Steamer's agent is saying that Steamer wants to play in Minny, because he's a small-town Wisconsin boy and the lifestyle is better for him.

They can offer more than the Celtics. Even if they match, if Steamer wants small town, what can Danny do? Move the Gahden to Pittsfield?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Battum supposed was going to get a matching offer from Portland, which means they would probably offer Steamer a contract.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Moore has been the most consistent player through 3 games.

This is particularly important as Boston contemplates their SG needs. I think this kid is ready to assume a BU SG role. The Celtics still need to add a PG/SG to the mix. Moore has been playing some point and some off guard but I think his natural position is SG.

Pietrus could be a possibility but only if he has recovered from the knee surgery.

I just finished watching the game and thought that Johnson played well and the kid Joseph is probably a keeper.

Fabrico Melo could get much better quickly as he has the physical skills to be pretty good. I think KG will be able to get him up to speed.

I like XMAS as well but I cannot see Boston adding 4 young players to the squad this year. Doc is still going to need a veteran or 2.

There is alway a chance that Boston may try to package a few of these young players to acquire another big.

But I also think this team has a nice mix of veterans, and youth.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:48 pm

bobheckler wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:Has Steamer been offered a contract yet?? Seems awful quiet on that front.
Another loss for Danny?

Rosalie,

No word there. Minny has not made an offer. Steamer's agent is saying that Steamer wants to play in Minny, because he's a small-town Wisconsin boy and the lifestyle is better for him.

They can offer more than the Celtics. Even if they match, if Steamer wants small town, what can Danny do? Move the Gahden to Pittsfield?

bob

Move the Gahden to Pittsfield? Now you're talking!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:33 am

bobc33 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
Another loss for Danny?

Rosalie,

bob

Move the Gahden to Pittsfield? Now you're talking!!!

Razz Yes, if it is Pittsfield Maine!! Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:41 am

I really like Joseph, he seems to have a great wing package, in college I always liked him, its only SL, but hes shown alot of stuff that he can build on, he understands defending passing lanes, has a jumper, can drive and slash with enough handle to go end to end.

Sully is a beast, he might turn into Kevin Love with a better post up game and at worst will be better than Big Baby....great hands, post up game already has so many counters, gotta love that hook shot and he can pass!!! we got a football player who loves contact with skills.

Melo is an athlete, can cover alot more space than most 5's, has good fluid feet, obvious defensive skills.....I want to see him and KG on defense together, now add Rondo and Bradley, thats gonna work, I like that we have him on an upward learning curve with KG for 3 years.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next