Celtics want Joseph to be aggressive

+3
Sam
KennCelt
7 posters

Go down

Celtics want Joseph to be aggressive Empty Celtics want Joseph to be aggressive

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Fighting for a job, second-rounder knows he has to go against his passive nature

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Celtics assistant coach Ty Lue noticed second-round draft pick Kris Joseph was a little tentative when he arrived for the team's pre-summer league camp, so Lue pulled him aside and offered the rookie some friendly advice.

"He was a little passive, he didn't want to step on any toes," Lue recalled. "I told him to just play the game. Be aggressive."

Celtics rookie Kris Joseph is playing for his roster spot this summer.

Translation: Second-round picks on nonguaranteed contracts need to kick in doors, not open them for everybody else.

Joseph is an intriguing player, a lanky, 6-foot-7 wing with the ability to play the 2 or 3. He led Syracuse in scoring his senior season (yes, even ahead of No. 4 overall pick Dion Waiters), but he's not a volume scorer and in a summer league where players fire away in hopes of getting noticed, he's somewhat content to pick his spots (even if that only fosters his unassertive reputation).

Yes, fair or not, his reputation is that of a passive player who has yet to have fully tapped into his physical tools. The Celtics are intent on getting the most out of him and believe he can be a role player if they can shape his game.

With that in mind, the focus for Joseph this summer has been on the defensive side. The Celtics believe that, by channeling his intensity, they can turn him into a solid reserve defender (and his scoring talents will take care of themselves).

More than anything, they're trying to shake the appearance that he's playing passive.

Asked earlier this week what Joseph needs to work on, Lue said: "Being aggressive all the time. Don't be passive; be aggressive. Play tough, play strong. Sometimes he's going after loose balls with one hand -- be aggressive. That's it; playing strong, playing physical."

Rarely do second-round picks need to be reminded to go full tilt at summer league. Most are playing for their NBA contracts and often sacrifice their basketball conscience in order to make an impression.

Joseph is taking a somewhat more restrained approach, letting his game speak for itself. Then again, he's always taken the path less traveled.

A native of hockey-crazed Quebec, Joseph grew up in a hoops-crazed family. Basketball bloodlines run deep, with his cousin, Cory Joseph, a first-round pick of the San Antonio Spurs last year and his older brother, Maurice, having played at both Michigan State and Vermont (he now serves as assistant director of basketball operations at George Washington University).

Go through the press clippings and you'll read plenty about Kris and Maurice cleaning out garbage cans and suspending them for a makeshift basketball court while the rest of the kids in their Montreal neighborhood were out skating on frozen ponds.

His love of the game brought him to Syracuse (after coming to America to prep for two seasons) and it's not hard to see why the well-spoken Joseph was named a captain of the Orange.

Now, as he prepares for the next chapter in his basketball career, Joseph knows it's the little things that could ensure him an NBA job next season.

"What [Celtics management wants] to see is just me making multiple-effort plays on the defensive end," Joseph said. "Just trying to play D on the help side, then close back out to my man to contest the shot -- things of that nature. That's what I've been trying to work on -- crashing the offensive glass, getting to the boards, things like that."

Joseph had a knack for filling up a stat line, highlighted in Thursday's loss to the Detroit Pistons, where he might have been Boston's best player on the floor. Yes, he missed 10 shots and the team-worst minus-17 in plus/minus suggests a rough afternoon, but Joseph was anything but passive, attacking the basket at both ends of the floor (reflected in four offensive rebounds and 11 overall). He put up a team-high 16 shots and even though only six fell, you like how smooth his offensive game often looks.

More on the Celtics

Keep on top of the Green throughout the offseason with ESPNBoston.com's Chris Forsberg. Blog

• Send Chris a question

Both Joseph and Lue believe he's got the tools to play either the 2 or the 3 at the next level. He looks particularly smooth coming off pin-downs and, with more consistency in his jumper, could carve out a role as a depth 2. His size and wingspan might allow him to be a competitive defender at the 3, and being able to defend both positions -- like, say, a Mickael Pietrus -- might open some doors for him (though he's got a long way to go to be that sort of defender).

Joseph is immersing himself in the opportunity. He spent a week in Boston after signing his rookie deal (two years, unguaranteed, at the minimum) with the team soon after the draft, but joked that he barely left the team's practice facility in Waltham.

In fact, his only real field trip was to the Burlington Mall to check out the Cheesecake Factory (a favorite stop for Boston players who end up living in that region). A trip to Allston for rookie introductions was about as close as he came to the city.

If he continues to play like he has in recent days, it's likely that Joseph will get plenty of opportunities to explore Boston. The Celtics haven't exactly oozed serviceable depth (and athleticism) at the swingman spot in recent seasons and Joseph does that.

He's admittedly excited about learning under Paul Pierce (even if team owner Wyc Grousbeck warned him at rookie introductions that Pierce will try to eat him alive). The unassertive reputation suggests that Joseph would be fine to endure that sort of punishment. Truth be told, he's ready to fight back.

Yes, he's trying to prove he's anything but passive.

Back to top Go down

Celtics want Joseph to be aggressive Empty Re: Celtics want Joseph to be aggressive

Post by KennCelt Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:12 pm

Good article. Thanks for posting it. Joseph hasn't made it yet , but he is sure turning some heads. I hope he does in the NBA what he is showing in summer league.

KennCelt

Back to top Go down

Celtics want Joseph to be aggressive Empty Re: Celtics want Joseph to be aggressive

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:19 pm

KENN

This kid is the real deal. You look at him, you watch how he moves, you watch the choices he makes and he has the veteran moves.

I am excited...he can play 2/3 and with some defense can be a great key to the Celtic youth movement.

Glad you joined our board...welcome aboard......if you see something......post something...do not be shy!

What part of the U.S. do you live?

Back to top Go down

Post by KennCelt Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 am

I'm from Eastern Washington where the Snake, Columbia and Yakima Rivers come together. It is the dry side of the state. Hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than the Seattle side of the state.

I'm excited about the prospect of him doing well with the big boys, but have grown more conservative about predicting. I've seen a lot of good players with NBA bodies and moves not make it for any of a number of reasons most of all because of the mental aspect of the game. He has passed the eye test and the summer league test. Now let's see if he will get invited to camp and stick. He's like the team who tries to win the round robin tournament, but has to do it by way of the loser's bracket. It is so much harder, but it's been done.

I'd love to get another quality 2/3 player without having to trade away players we wish we could keep or sell the farm in free agency. Joseph would make a great success story.

KennCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:17 am

I'm seldom as enthusiastic as I am about Joseph, based on just four summer league games. Yes, he has seemed restrained at times, but he seems to have become more aggressive with each passing game.

The main reasons for my optimism about Joseph are that (1) I don't see any major deficiencies in his game and (2) I see numerous skills on which he can build. He's a legitimate 6' 7". As a Syracuse grad, he has surprisingly good defensive instincts. The guy can shoot from anywhere. He's proficient in going to the hoop. I like his passing game. He's far more likely to steal the ball than to turn it over. In the article, he mentions crashing the boards, and he certainly did that on Thursday.

While I like Jeff Green's potential at SF, I believe Joseph—despite now being a lot less experienced—is more athletic and possesses a more natural and effective shooting stroke. I believe he'll eventually become a better finisher in transition than Green will.

On my own depth chart, Kris is already ahead of Moore as a SG, even if Kris hasn't yet played a minute there as a Celtic. I think Kris has the athleticism, the shotmaking ability, and great height for the SG position.

I'm far, far away from touting him as a poor man's Havlicek, but it appears that Kris possesses the skill set of a potential swing man at the wing positions. I hope we'll get to see him paired with Rondo in the backcourt.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:08 am

The only weakness I see in his game is ball handling for that reason only I would still have
Moore ahead of him.

Dboss

Last edited by dboss on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:20 am

.....I actually thought he'd go in the first round, we're so lucky he had a poor finish/showing in the tournament, hes more mobile and could be a more natural SF than Jeff Green, but were all hoping to see a more improved take charge JG too. Joseph looks to be an ideal swingman, JG could never play the 2. Going forward Joseph could be an ideal 6th man in the next era, backing up JG and Avery Bradley.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:45 am

Hi,
Unfortunately I could see Joseph only in one game, so far. But I liked him.
Hard to say much at this point but I hope he will progress and gets on the roster.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:53 am

We have another game in Orlando and several in Vegas. This will provide us with a more expanded look at Joseph. DA and Doc have to be pleased with his showing thus far.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:51 pm

KennCelt wrote:I'm from Eastern Washington where the Snake, Columbia and Yakima Rivers come together. It is the dry side of the state. Hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than the Seattle side of the state.

I'm excited about the prospect of him doing well with the big boys, but have grown more conservative about predicting. I've seen a lot of good players with NBA bodies and moves not make it for any of a number of reasons most of all because of the mental aspect of the game. He has passed the eye test and the summer league test. Now let's see if he will get invited to camp and stick. He's like the team who tries to win the round robin tournament, but has to do it by way of the loser's bracket. It is so much harder, but it's been done.

I'd love to get another quality 2/3 player without having to trade away players we wish we could keep or sell the farm in free agency. Joseph would make a great success story.

KennCelt,

I've been to Wenatchee many times for work and have been to Yakima once, on a overnight driving from Wenatchee to Seattle. After staying in Yakima, I drove up Mt. Rainier and then on to Seattle. You must be from down Kennewick way. I've never been there. It must be beautiful like the other parts of Washington State that I've seen.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by KennCelt Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Gyso, yes, I'm from Kennewick. It gets 7" or so a year of rain, but we have the Columbia River system that gives plenty of water. It has a lot agriculture in the area and a lot of green inside the Tri Cities area. Outside the Tri Cities it is a very sagebrushy desert where not being farmed. It has a beauty of it's own, however. Yakima and Wenatchee are both on the east side of the Cascades, as you know, where just you start getting to the hills j before you rise to the beautiful Cascade Mt. range. Kennewick is an hour and a half east of Yakima.

KennCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Kenn,

How did you become a Celtic fan?

Back to top Go down

Post by KennCelt Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:26 am

My Dad's family came over in 1640 to Massachusetts. I have many, many relatives still there from my Dad's side. He along with 2 older brothers were born in New Hampshire. Dad in Ashland and 2 brothers in Portsmouth while my Dad was going to U of NH post WWII. I been following them since 1959 or 60. It is hard to know when for sure as I was 6 or 7 at the time and it was a long time ago. I've seen only one Celtic game live and it was a goody. In Seattle in the 80's when Larry Legend scored on Xavier McDaniels at the buzzer to win. We were crazy cheering as most of the Arena fell silent. My Dad's side are avid Celtic / Red Sox fans to this day.

It is 4 AM as I type. We just experienced a powerful thunderstorm, but nothing like you experience back east. Mostly lightning and noise. Still waiting for the Celtics to announce our new signings that I expect to bring another season fun basketball.

KennCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:22 am

Kenn,

I too began as a Celtic fan in 1960 at age 8! Not from Boston, I just fell in love with their work ethic while at a Knick game with my dad. The switch of teams came immediately ......."Thank God"!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down