Win every year or go away

5 posters

Go down

Win every year or go away Empty Win every year or go away

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Below is a quote attributed to Vanessa Bryant, Kobe's wife (still). I'm not putting it here to put her down or to highlight the struggles Kobe has had. That has been beaten to death and doesn't have anything with basketball anyway. I'm putting it here so that all of us who are in relationships with people who are understanding and compassionate and who, simply put, cut us slack for our weaknesses and foibles and the sacrifices we sometimes have to make for our jobs and/or passions (like for our teams), appreciate what we've got.

"I certainly would not want to be married to somebody that can't win championships. If you're sacrificing time away from my family and myself for the benefit of winning championships, then winning a championship should happen every single year."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Win every year or go away Empty Re: Win every year or go away

Post by beat Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Bob

Wonder what someone like Ernie Bank's wife would say to that?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Bob,

Even the "scribes" don't get it. I found mention of the quote in an article written by Shannon J. Owens, Orlando Sentinel:

If she did make this remark, I'd be curious to read the context of the quote because there is a larger point here she is - maybe not gracefully - trying to make. Professional athletes, particularly NBA and MLB players, spend a considerable amount of time away from their families and if you're an elite athlete like Kobe Bryant, even more. Vanessa Bryant is essentially saying, 'make the sacrifice count.'

Is that a controversial thought? No.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/sentinel-sports-now/os-vanessa-bryant-kobe-bryant,0,965062.post

Wow. There are a lot of regular working folks who spend a considerable amount of time away from their families (in order to scratch out a living) and don't make even close to what "professional athletes, particularly NBA and MLB players" get paid.

The disconnect just gets bigger and bigger every year!! SMH

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:52 pm

When I heard this quote last night I thought of Ricky Bobby's wife from one of Will Ferrell's movie's called Talladega Nights. If some didn't see that movie, Ricky Bobby's wife married Ricky Bobby because he was a successful Nascar driver. When Ricky Bobby had a minor injury and couldn't drive, Ricky Bobby's wife kicked him out and hooked up with Ricky Bobby's teammate who was going to be the top driver. She only wanted to be married to a winner or champion.

It is very hard to spin Vanessa's comment in any reasonable manner. I am assumimg that she meant that the only reason Kobe is away from her and the family is because of his chase for championships.

I have always felt that Kobe's drive to win championships is topped by no one else in the league. Now, I am thinking that Kobe's drive to win championships is 2nd in his own house... Smile
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:29 pm

Gotta feel it for Vanessa. She sacrifices much for the good of her family, has to put up with Kobe being away so much, and even when home, probably living NBA 24/7 given his competitive nature. When he is away there always must be some doubt, when he doesn't win, he must take it hard. She just has to feel the pressure he puts himself and everyone else under in his drive to succeed. Bet it lights a fire under Kobe, (none probably needed) to get at least one more. If only she hadn't watched that archival footage of that team from the 50s and 60s lol
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:46 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:Gotta feel it for Vanessa. She sacrifices much for the good of her family, has to put up with Kobe being away so much, and even when home, probably living NBA 24/7 given his competitive nature. When he is away there always must be some doubt, when he doesn't win, he must take it hard. She just has to feel the pressure he puts himself and everyone else under in his drive to succeed. Bet it lights a fire under Kobe, (none probably needed) to get at least one more. If only she hadn't watched that archival footage of that team from the 50s and 60s lol

Mulcogiseng,

Nice to see you're posting. Hope all is well with you and the issues in your life and that you can find the time to stop by more often.

Every professional athlete trains hard (a few notable exceptions, like Allan Iverson) and are gone for extended periods on road trips. Baseball players play 162 games, half on the road where they stay in a distant city for several days at a time, plus playoffs. Basketball players play 82, half on the road plus playoffs. Hockey players, 82+.

I don't feel sorry for Vanessa Bryant, not one single bit. If I was going to feel sorry for anybody it might be for a minor league player's wife, who has to put up with her husband traveling by bus from town to town and play for a pittance. Kobe's making $25M/year for his efforts. I would think that should take some of the sting out of her "sacrifice". Her perspective has changed, obviously, since Kobe met her on a commercial shoot, where she was a dancer.

Of course, get right down to it, compare this rapacious prima donna with the stalwart women of military families, keeping the home fires burning, taking the kids to school everyday, making sure their clothes are clean and they are well fed, while their men are serving their country overseas, a job from which they might not come home from alive.

No, I don't feel sorry for Vanessa Bryant. Not one single solitary bit.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:01 pm

bob,
What was I thinking? lol
It's easy to not feel sorry for someone in her position but she is a real human being so her life contains suffering and I am sure it is as real for her as for any of us. We just can't salve our wounds with $ and the prospect of more. Since you kindasorta stacked the deck one way, what if we compare her with Mrs Mitt, Lindsey Lohan, Hillary, or any of the Kardashian's? lol

mulcogi

ps I'm now getting a Veteran's Disability Pension so not homeless anymore but still having "issues" so not out of the woods yet thanx
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down