Boston vs Philly

5 posters

Go down

Boston vs Philly Empty Boston vs Philly

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:54 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1311321-how-do-the-boston-celtics-match-up-with-the-new-look-philadelphia-76ers

This analyst says that Boston still has the edge. To be honest, I think there are many holes and overlooked points in this article.

As he matches them up position by position he gives Bynum a 10-7 victory over KG (he rates the matchup on a 10-point scoring system, like boxing). 10-7? That's a double-knockdown round! Bullshit. Does Bynum have an advantage inside? Absolutely, he outweighs KG by 25#, but what's he going to do when KG airmails a ton of 19-footers? If he comes out to cover KG, and Bass keeps Hawes out near the elbow that's going to open the paint up for Pierce, Green and Bradley. Is Dorell Wright going to keep Paul Pierce from cutting to the hoop? No. I'm not going to lie though, our lack of bulk and height is and has been a concern to me. The Lakers aren't the only team in the league, now, with Twin Towers.

What about chemistry? Experience? Tenure? They lost their captain, Iggy. They just got a new center. They lost their bench sparkplug, Jodie Meeks. He gives the edge to the Celtics bench, but the loss of Meeks is big. He's a Jason Terry type of player, a player who can come in and drop 15 on you in no time flat.

Philly has improved, but they are still quite young. 3-5 years from now they'll be tough, but ask Atlanta about the wisdom of betting on keeping your team together for 3-5 years so they can ripen together.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston vs Philly Empty Re: Boston vs Philly

Post by dboss Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:25 am

They also lost Williams but picked up Nick Young. Overall bench depth and experience favors Biston.

Doug Collins will keep them competitive.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:27 am

Hi,
This article is, in part, kind of silly.
The author, as most of the "experts", wanted to quantify. AB vs KG = 10/7, RR vs JH = 10/8, etc. Where did he get those numbers? I know, he used boxing analogy. But in box they at least can count hits. How you can count something related to AB vs KG: number of points, rebounds? How about lockdown defense - how do you quantify anchoring one of the best defenses in the league? IMO, it's all based on gut feelings.
Also, it's no more than just predictions. Both teams haven't played a single game with the new crews, let alone vs each other.
I'd say let's see how they progress, where they stand before doing any analysis.

OTOH, yes, you can compare players on individual level to a certain degree, of course.

Also, re: Philly, I think the team took a step back: how they're going to deal with the loss of AI he was like heart of the team. Sure they acquired one of the best centers in the game, but AB isn't a leader, IMO.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:04 am

It may be less confusing, in the future, not to use AB to refer to Andrew Bynum. AB, to me, is a reference to Celtics guard Avery Bradley. Can AB stand for BRadley, and spell out Bynum's name completely to avoid confusion. Muchos Gracious!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:10 pm

MDCelticsFan wrote:It may be less confusing, in the future, not to use AB to refer to Andrew Bynum. AB, to me, is a reference to Celtics guard Avery Bradley. Can AB stand for BRadley, and spell out Bynum's name completely to avoid confusion. Muchos Gracious!

MD!

MD,

What confused me, for a sec, was when sinus referred to Philly's loss of AI. My first thought was "Allen Iverson has been retired for a while!" and then I remembered Iggy's first name was Andre. The AB vs KG stuff made sense, in context.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Sinus,

This article is symptomatic of one of the oldest ploys in the media business. The objective is usually to entertain rather than to communicate really useful stats. Whenever numbers are used in any media offering, the offering takes on implicit credibility in the eyes of many, many readers. The numbers could be contested by any statistician who graduated from kindergarten. But a large portion of media constituents feels that "if numbers are cited, it must be valid.

I also agree that the use of initials can lead to confusion.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi,
I have no problem using full names or names similar to "Iggy".
OTOH, it seems kind of strange. This forum is almost 3 years old and players initials have been used all the time. All of a sudden - confusion? Oh well...

Sam,
agree about entertainment or, as they call it, infotainment. Unfortunately in many cases it's presented as an expert opinion, sometimes even as facts.

For now, a month before training camp, 2 months before the season, I should take it as is.
On that note, I say that the difference between Bynum and Garnett (can I use KG - I doubt there's any other player who's referred to by those initials) is less than the difference between Rondo and Holiday.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down