Rumor du Jour: K-Mart and Terrence Williams targeted by Celtics

2 posters

Go down

Rumor du Jour:  K-Mart and Terrence Williams targeted by Celtics Empty Rumor du Jour: K-Mart and Terrence Williams targeted by Celtics

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:42 pm

According to Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated, the Boston Celtics are interested in signing free agents Kenyon Martin and Terrence Williams.

The Lakers and Celtics have shown interest (in Martin) previously, but the question now is whether the 34-year-old Martin will hold out until midseason or perhaps even retire if he doesn’t get a deal and a situation to his liking. His leading competitor in this corner of the free-agent market is journeyman forward Louis Amundson, the 29-year-old who came off the bench for Indiana last season.

Williams … is working out for the Pistons in Detroit this week. … Dallas and Boston are believed to be interested as well.

Martin had a down year last year, scoring inefficiently (career-low 44.1% shooting, career-low 9.9 PER if you discount a two-game stint with the Nuggets in 2006) and notching one of the lowest rebounding rates in his career (11.5, though that puts him in a dead tie with Brandon Bass). Still, the Clippers were 6.35 points per 100 possessions better with Martin on the floor, and their defense was 7.16 points better.

After a studly career at Louisville, Williams has not managed to make a smooth adjustment to the NBA so far in his three seasons. He’s an uber-athletic, skilled guard who struggles playing a bit role–a weakness that would seem to make him a poor fit in Boston.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/martike01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willite01.html
http://hoopshype.com/players/terrence_williams.htm
http://www.nbapostup.com/terrence-williams-scouting-report-2011

bob
My Note: Kenyon Martin is a strong PF. He is also, almost without a doubt, the dumbest player in the NBA. He singlehandedly dragged down the Denver Nuggets collective team IQ to an embarrassing level, like a Hoover sucking brain cells out of their heads as soon as he stepped on the court. I still have a clear memory of Martin, playing against LAL in the playoffs, on the floor hooking Gasol's foot and holding on instead of getting up and running downcourt. After getting called for that, he did it again a few sequences later (and got called for it again). Did he really shoot 37% from the line last year with the Clips? 34 years old, he might just be done.

I'm ok with inviting Terrence Williams, a #11 lottery pick in the 2009 draft, to camp but I wouldn't guarantee him a contract (other than the type they have guaranteed to Xmas and Smith, chump change to make it worth your while to show up at our camp and not someone else's, but nothing if you don't make the team). The competition might let us see what we really have in Jeff Green (who is going to make the team anyway) and Kris Joseph. I like Joseph, I really do, but if Williams is better...I can't say I've watched Williams play much, but his scouting reports aren't that impressive. Adequate defender, but not a scoring threat and lousy from the line.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rumor du Jour:  K-Mart and Terrence Williams targeted by Celtics Empty Re: Rumor du Jour: K-Mart and Terrence Williams targeted by Celtics

Post by sinus007 Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Bob,
Thanks for the info.
I'd say NO to K-Mart. Dumb and old is a very bad combination.
As for T-Will, I'd rather go with Joseph as a 3rd stringer at SF position (just a gut feeling - no data/opinion to substantiate).

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Rumor du Jour:  K-Mart and Terrence Williams targeted by Celtics Empty Re: Rumor du Jour: K-Mart and Terrence Williams targeted by Celtics

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:49 pm

sinus007 wrote:Bob,
Thanks for the info.
I'd say NO to K-Mart. Dumb and old is a very bad combination.
As for T-Will, I'd rather go with Joseph as a 3rd stringer at SF position (just a gut feeling - no data/opinion to substantiate).

AK

sinus,

We're on the same page. Dumb and old is a very bad combination. I can't tell you how much trouble it has gotten me into...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down