+5
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
sinus007
Sam
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Rumor du jour:  Matt Barnes talking to Celtics Empty Rumor du jour: Matt Barnes talking to Celtics

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:46 am

Former LA Clipper, former Sacto King, former NY Knick, former Philadelphia...oh hell, you get the idea. He's been with 8 teams in 8 years, the last 2 with the Lakers. 32 years old. Recently arrested for a traffic violation that escalated to resisting arrest. Links to stats at the bottom of the article. I like his clutch stats. He's better in just about every category and has a very nice assist-to-turnover ratio. To find him, he shoots 50.0% fg% (so he's 11 entries below Pierce, for reference). Known for his physical defense. He guarded Pierce when he was in Orlando and in LA (whenever TAFKARA was sitting). IF the Celtics sign him, that pretty much sends Kris Joseph to Maine, since then we'd be 3 deep at 3 (Pierce, Green, Barnes) and 3 deep at 4 (Bass, Sully, Green). I like Kris Joseph a lot (a lot!) but Barnes is a proven quantity who knows Mike Brown's playbook, plays tenacious physical defense. Very tough call for me. Very tough. I'm not a big Barnes fan, he's about as smart as Pietrus (oh shit!) with a mean streak (good and bad) but knows the game and Doc will know what he'll get when he calls his number. He can defend LBJ as well as anybody, better than Green. Joseph looked very good, but against whom? Still, running is running, whether you're running against summer leaguers or the real deal. The court's the same. Hitting a shot off a pindown is the same (maybe easier in the NBA since you'll get a better pick) but the kid hasn't even been to a real camp, much less play in a real game. How can we really know? How much of my desire to see Joseph make the squad is just my green hope springing eternal? Matt Barnes is a junkyard dog. That's a handy thing to have, if you can get him to respond to the leash, and therein lies the rub, therein lies the 8 teams in 8 years. Is Matt Barnes worth a rental?

http://www.rantsports.com/boston-celtics/2012/09/05/nba-rumors-boston-celtics-interested-in-matt-barnes/

BOSTON- The NBA rumors are again taking on a Boston Celtics flavor. During a recent interview Los Angeles Lakers free agent small forward Matt Barnes let the world know that he is a free agent and talking to a few other teams besides the Lakers. One of the NBA teams rumored to be in the mix for Barnes services are the Boston Celtics.

The rumor if it true would make sense because Barnes would be a fit with the Celtics. The Boston Celtics have Paul Pierce and Jeff Green as a small forward combination. Should there be an injury to either then Boston would have to turn to rookie Kris Joseph to fill minutes. A team with title hopes does not want to have to depend on a rookie drafted in the second round in the event of an injury. The team also wants to be able to rest Paul Pierce during the year for a healthy “Truth” for a playoff run and still fight for playoff seeding during the year. Those facts mean Boston is thin at the small forward spot.

Barnes would be a great fit for Boston. Barnes is the pesky defensive first small forward that can really bother another team. Doc Rivers would love a guy like Barnes on the roster to put out there to defend a guy like LeBron James come playoff time. If nothing else it would be six smart hard fought fouls at his disposal. Barnes can also play with energy and rebound. Rebounding is always a skill Boston could use in a player.

Barnes is no longer that good an offensive option. Barnes shot is streaky from the outside and finishing in the paint can be an adventure for him these days. However, there are nights where Barnes is an effective offensive player. However, from a third string small forward is offense really what Boston would be looking for.

I believe this rumor to be true. The only issue is money. I cannot see Boston using the bi annual exception on Barnes. This means if Barnes wants more money than he is going elsewhere.

The good news for Boston is it appears that Barnes old team the Lakers have moved on from him. This means that he cannot just stay in LA for the same money. The fact Barnes recently had legal problems will also work in Boston’s favor as far as keeping his salary demands real low. Maybe Boston can get Barnes for the veteran minimum they have to offer. Stay tuned for more on this rumor as the story of Barnes unfolds. Remember Go Green or Go Home!!!!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barnema02.html

http://www.82games.com/1112/CSORT6.HTM

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rumor du jour:  Matt Barnes talking to Celtics Empty Re: Rumor du jour: Matt Barnes talking to Celtics

Post by Sam Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Bob,

If Barnes were to sign with the Celtics, I count four legitimate bigs and seven smaller players (although I suppose Jeff Green could count as a big as well as a small.

KG
Wilcox
Bass
Sully
Pierce
Green
Barnes
Lee
Bradley
Terry
Rondo

That leaves four slots to fill from:

Melo
Joseph
Christmas
Smith
Collins
Dooling

I think it's inconceivable that they'd drop Melo, even if he has a lousy camp. They've invested too much in his potential. I can't believe they'd get rid of Collins, who might even be the 12th active roster player because of the dearth of height on the team.

From the outset, I've assumed Smith would be cut. So there's one (if I'm right). From the trio of Dooling, Christmas and Joseph, two would stay and one would go. Basically, it could come down to how Christmas and Joseph perform in training season. If they both look like keepers, perhaps Dooling retires, becomes a Celtics coach, and can be re-signed if there's a guard emergency down the road. (I'm not sure if there's some rule about how long a retired guy has to be retired before his immediately previous team can re-sign him.)

Of course, I'm still hoping for Danny to sign another big before training camp. Then the math exercise would have to be reconfigured.

Could it be that the Celtics are considering Barnes so that Green can back up Bass if Sully can't cut it (which I doubt) or is injured (I hope not)? Barnes could definitely add versatility to the "3" position and indirectly (through Green) to the "4."

That having been said, many minutes of Green at the "4" would not be on my wish list.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Rumor du jour:  Matt Barnes talking to Celtics Empty Re: Rumor du jour: Matt Barnes talking to Celtics

Post by sinus007 Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi,
I'd rather DA and Doc leave him alone.
32 years old knucklehead. I'd rather have Peaches.
Of course, there could be some kind of a trade that they're trying to design and, MB is a good building block for it.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:45 pm

sam wrote:Bob,

If Barnes were to sign with the Celtics, I count four legitimate bigs and seven smaller players (although I suppose Jeff Green could count as a big as well as a small.

KG
Wilcox
Bass
Sully
Pierce
Green
Barnes
Lee
Bradley
Terry
Rondo

That leaves four slots to fill from:

Melo
Joseph
Christmas
Smith
Collins
Dooling

I think it's inconceivable that they'd drop Melo, even if he has a lousy camp. They've invested too much in his potential. I can't believe they'd get rid of Collins, who might even be the 12th active roster player because of the dearth of height on the team.

From the outset, I've assumed Smith would be cut. So there's one (if I'm right). From the trio of Dooling, Christmas and Joseph, two would stay and one would go. Basically, it could come down to how Christmas and Joseph perform in training season. If they both look like keepers, perhaps Dooling retires, becomes a Celtics coach, and can be re-signed if there's a guard emergency down the road. (I'm not sure if there's some rule about how long a retired guy has to be retired before his immediately previous team can re-sign him.)

Of course, I'm still hoping for Danny to sign another big before training camp. Then the math exercise would have to be reconfigured.

Could it be that the Celtics are considering Barnes so that Green can back up Bass if Sully can't cut it (which I doubt) or is injured (I hope not)? Barnes could definitely add versatility to the "3" position and indirectly (through Green) to the "4."

That having been said, many minutes of Green at the "4" would not be on my wish list.

Sam

sam,

Using your math, all 15 slots would be used. Barring some 2-1 trade, that means Danny would be unable to pick up a player off of waivers around the trading deadline. We all know how he likes to leave a slot open for that and, as you pointed out, another BIG (as in a 5) would be very, very nice.

Therefore, I'm inclined to think there will only be 3 slots left, not 4, regardless of whether Danny brings in another big for camp or not. I think he's going to want to keep the flexiblity of having that slot open.

Your idea of Dooling as a coach/lady-in-waiting has merit and I could definitely see that happen, especially if Xmas has a strong camp. Dooling is a 2 in a 1s body and plays tough defense. Xmas has better size, better speed, MUCH better shooting and I'll bet Jason Terry is spending time talking to him about defense. Xmas has been tweeting about how Terry's abusing him in workouts (and I am in a positive swoon knowing Terry is playing that role of mentor). I can't believe Terry would abuse him and then not take a moment to explain to him what he should have done on defense. In short, after being long, Dooling is replaceable with Xmas EXCEPT for his experience and lockerroom presence, and those can be retained via your suggestion.

I'm not crazy about Green playing a lot at 4 either, unless he runs on every possession, and I do mean "every".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Bob,

They could carry 15 players and let someone go if they want to add a guy later. I'd rather them see them do that, giving them an opportunity to evaluate as many young guys as possible before making that kind of move. As much as I have high hopes for Joseph, Christmas and (I guess) Melo, it won't shock me if a couple of them represented trade bait; and the longer they've "auditioned" for the Celtics (or in the DL), the more appealing they'll hopefully be as bait.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Might as well see if something can be worked out with Pietrus, although he'd have to take a pay cut. At least he can also provide some offense. For that matter Jamario Moon is still available and a better athlete than Barnes; although Moon did leave his brains in his other suit.

I think Dooling was signed to play; doubt he gets another role this year.

I could see Joseph and even Melo going D league to get in some playing time, rather than sit a la Johnson last year. They could benefit us better in the long run if they picked up some experience there.

Once Bradley returns I think the number of guards eliminates Christmas from the picture.

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:34 pm

At this point Barnes defense is way overated, Pietrus's D alot more relentless, if you could get him for same amount of money I'd take Peaches, but with Jeff Green and if Kris Joseph shows anything, it would be redundent. I'm favoring seeing what Joseph shows in camp first, he can drive way better than both right now.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:04 am

As I said on another thread, the Maine schedule begins on November 23rd. There's every likelihood that all 15 Celtics roster members (whoever they are) will be with the big team for at least a while into the NBA season.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:19 am

I dont see what Barnes brings to the table that Joseph or Christmas cannot - other maybe veteran respect from the refs (which Barnes has very little due to him being a bit of a hot head)

Would rather they stand pat and see how the youngsters develop. If we get to January 1 and Christmas / Joseph are not adding anything - DA can start looking around.

As for Dooling - he solidified his role on this team in the playoffs last season and he is the only true back up PG. Cant see them signing him to cut him a few weeks later. He is here for the duration IMO
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:37 am

Mrkleen

Agree

Like the hand we have been dealt for now. Perhaps in a couple months some tweeking may be in order.

I'm sure DA is always on the lookout for a deal to beneifit us and I really do not see Barnes as a benefit.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:44 am

Mrkleen,
I think X-mas and Joseph will be evaluated long before 01/01/13.
As for KD, I believe his playing skills are secondary to his great positive presence on the bench and especially in the locker room. So, I'm with you: "...He's here for the duration..." Unless, of course, he's part of some super-trade.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:At this point Barnes defense is way overated, Pietrus's D alot more relentless, if you could get him for same amount of money I'd take Peaches, but with Jeff Green and if Kris Joseph shows anything, it would be redundent. I'm favoring seeing what Joseph shows in camp first, he can drive way better than both right now.

cow,

I agree. Joseph also has a mid-range jumper while Pietrus only has his 3. As far as Joseph being a better driver than Green, I'm willing to take a wait and see position on that. He mostly played an undersized/powered 4 before and now he's going to be playing a lot of 3. What kind of a 3 he is (is he a slasher or does he post the smaller opponents) will tell us just what we have and what we still need.

Training camp opens 9/29. Figure they have to leave to go to Turkey on 9/27 or 9/28. Only 17 or 18 days before the excitement begins again and only a few days after that before these questions start getting associated with answers.

I can't wait. That's why I'm posting all these silly articles, I can't wait.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Matt Barnes signs with the Clips.

Phew.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:05 pm

thank God for that. I have always disliked Matt Barnes, I find him a dirty player and we don't need that on the Celtics. He is also very over rated.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:32 am

I'm a little disappointed that Danny fell short in his ambition to sign every wing player in the NBA. Is there anything to the rumor that Doc will be instituting a buddy system in which he'll pair off wings to sit on each other's shoulders and simulate big men? On one hand, they'll be playing the equivalent of four on five; but, on the other hand, their rebounding numbers might very well improve.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:39 pm

sam wrote:I'm a little disappointed that Danny fell short in his ambition to sign every wing player in the NBA. Is there anything to the rumor that Doc will be instituting a buddy system in which he'll pair off wings to sit on each other's shoulders and simulate big men? On one hand, they'll be playing the equivalent of four on five; but, on the other hand, their rebounding numbers might very well improve.

Sam

sam,

You know Danny. Tenacious as a bulldog and never gives up. Don't be surprised if he trades a few bigs for Barnes.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Matt Barnes - didn't he have an affair with a teammates wife? Glad he's a Clip.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:52 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:At this point Barnes defense is way overated, Pietrus's D alot more relentless, if you could get him for same amount of money I'd take Peaches, but with Jeff Green and if Kris Joseph shows anything, it would be redundent. I'm favoring seeing what Joseph shows in camp first, he can drive way better than both right now.

cow,

I agree. Joseph also has a mid-range jumper while Pietrus only has his 3. As far as Joseph being a better driver than Green, I'm willing to take a wait and see position on that. He mostly played an undersized/powered 4 before and now he's going to be playing a lot of 3. What kind of a 3 he is (is he a slasher or does he post the smaller opponents) will tell us just what we have and what we still need.

Training camp opens 9/29. Figure they have to leave to go to Turkey on 9/27 or 9/28. Only 17 or 18 days before the excitement begins again and only a few days after that before these questions start getting associated with answers.

I can't wait. That's why I'm posting all these silly articles, I can't wait.

bob

bob I meant Joseph is a better driver than Pietrus and Barnes right now, not Green, that I'm not sure of, have to see how season goes.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down