6 Individual Milestones Celtics could break this year

3 posters

Go down

6 Individual Milestones Celtics could break this year Empty 6 Individual Milestones Celtics could break this year

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:33 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1341662-6-individual-milestones-boston-celtics-could-break-during-2012-13-season

I believe it was TJ who pointed out that Bleacher Report is to sportswriting as toilet paper is to the Journal of the American Medical Association (ok, he didn't actually say that, but he was the first to observe that they publish more frequently than they think about what there is of quality to write about). I do agree with the first sentence of this article, it says "In Boston, there is only one number with which the Celtics will be judged: 18". Nevertheless, honoring our individual players and their individual achievements is not inconsistent with honoring our team and our team's achievements. We, of all fans, are crystal clear on the importance of maintaining our priorities. Individual milestones always come in second. Always. Still, this article is an ode to greatness in green. Two caveats: one; he points out that Rondo won't catch Cousy in total assists as a Celtic during this contract. Ah yes, the dangers of comparing eras, a chronic blindspot of the young. Assists are awarded much more easily now than in yesteryear. Secondly, Pierce may catch Hondo, but Hondo didn't have the opportunity to shoot 3s. Pierce has hit 1678 3s in his career to-date. That's 1678 more points, in the same number of fga, than Hondo could have scored. Level the playing field by backing those points out and the gulf gets much wider.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

6 Individual Milestones Celtics could break this year Empty Re: 6 Individual Milestones Celtics could break this year

Post by Sam Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:56 pm

It boggles my mind that Bill Russell ranks number four in assists among all Celtics, especially since he played during the era of a much more limiting definition of an assist. I know he was a fine passer, but it's like he had nothing else to do? Incredible!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

6 Individual Milestones Celtics could break this year Empty Re: 6 Individual Milestones Celtics could break this year

Post by beat Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:21 pm

Some stats can cary the test of time.... others not so much.

Just too bad that blocks were never kept during the Russell-Wilt era.

Still boggles the mind what Pete Maravich did in college 40+ PPG with no 3 pointer. Plus his passing was and perhaps never will be equaled.

In baseball I marvel at the numbers Ted Williams put up despite missing 3years of his prime 1943-44-45 due to WW2 (he was 25 and had just come off a .406 BA in 1941 and .356 in 42) Then missed most of the 52 and 53 season due to Korea, and only twice in his career did he strike out more than 50 times a season. Look at todays sluggers by comparison....

Also in 1941 when Joe DiMaggio batted .357 hit 30 HR's and struck out a mere 13 times!! 13 in just under 600 plate apperances!!

Remember when 50 goals in hockey was a pinacle or 1000 yards for a running back was accomplished by only the few.

As a former runner I remember seeing (TV) Jim Ryun (KU) break the world record for the mile in the late 60's........ on a DIRT running surface 3:51.1 !! And he was an amatuer!

Alot of us on this board are older and have seen various sports evolve.
Unfortunately it hasn't always been for the better.

Little rambling is all. When we were small and our heros were large.

Hondo will always be my favorite C. PP passing him in points has no bearing on that.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down