Sam
bobheckler
cowens/oldschool
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lakers 0-2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Lakers 0-2

Post by Outside Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:25 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:never noticed Batum before, hes got legit wing talent and Lilliard looks to be the real deal too.
Batum has been a solid player for several years and has improved each year. Portland had to match a $46 million/4 year offer from Minnesota to keep him, which I thought was overpriced, but he's a versatile, complete player. He's not a go-to guy, but he's an excellent complementary player who defends well and contributes in a lot of areas -- scoring, rebounding, steals, threes, even a few blocks and assists -- and has a low turnover rate. Very nice player. Batum and Aldridge are easily my favorite players on that team.

I didn't know anything about Lillard, but he sure looked good last night. He's a rookie and the season is long, so we'll see how it goes. Consistency is hard to come by with rookies. We'll see how he does against teams that have their act together, which the Lakers currently do not. It seems like each year there's a rookie or two that sneaks in under the radar or otherwise outperforms expectations, like Kawhi Leonard and Kenneth Faried last season. Maybe Lillard will be one of those guys.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:03 am

I have a question, probably best answered by GYSO.

My die-hard Laker friend, Will, has suggested that the Lakers should go after Delonte West to play backup PG for Nash. My initial response, after saying he'd be an asset to LA, was to say that because the Lakers are sooo far over the $74.2M hard cap they can't sign anybody.

What if they cut loose a non-guaranteed contract, but are still over the hard cap? Can they sign him then?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:14 am

bob,

The Lakers could sign West if they cut one of their players.
They could cut one of their two non-guaranteed contracts (Sacre or Johnson-Odom) or one of their guaranteed contracts (Earl Clark or Duhon would be first to go.)
The Lakers could then sign West to either the NBA minimum or could offer him up to $1.59m which is the amount they have remaining from the mini-MLE after they signed Meeks.
The Lakers don't have a hard cap this season.
You only have a hard cap if you are eligible to use the full Mid-Level Exception AND use that Exception.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:26 pm

bob,

As tj says, the $74.3M "hard cap" only comes into play if a team (us for example) use the full MLE. There are a couple more exceptions that trigger the hard cap.

The Lakers are way past caring about crossing the luxury tax limit and can easily afford to get West under contract, if they want.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Were not doing much better, wonder which team is gonna get the first victory?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:44 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:shit were not doing much better, wonder which team is gonna get the first victory?

Hi,
Speaking of which. One of the rarities on BDC. Couple days ago, someone started a thread: who, Celtics or Lakers, will improve first? I answered - Celtics - because a) better coach, b) one less new starter and c) Nash is currently not playing.
What do you think?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Sinus,

You very well might be right.
Eventually, I expect both Boston and LA to get it together and to be top teams in their conference.

It has been an odd start to the season with Boston and LA winless, Charlotte beat Indiana last night and NY blew out Miami.

If LA doesn't beat Detroit at home tomorrow they will receive so much heat from media, fans and haters.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:39 pm

tjmakz wrote:Sinus,

You very well might be right.
Eventually, I expect both Boston and LA to get it together and to be top teams in their conference.

It has been an odd start to the season with Boston and LA winless, Charlotte beat Indiana last night and NY blew out Miami.

If LA doesn't beat Detroit at home tomorrow they will receive so much heat from media, fans and haters.

TJ,

I'd be shocked if they don't beat the Pistons, truly shocked, but God Help the Lakers if they don't. Dwight Howard will be nostalgic for the southeast coast, where the heat comes from the sun and not the fans, press and haters. Big Baby used to say the way to beat Dwight Howard is to frustrate him and make him stop smiling. He didn't smile at all last night.

I watched most of the 2nd half last night.

Howard looks lost unless someone lobs the ball towards the rim for him. Ryan Hollins did a pretty good job on him. Ryan Hollins, for Pete's Sake! 5-10 from the line makes Hack-a-Howard a legitimate NBA defense.

Another bad shooting night for TAFKARA. Looking slow in the process as well.

I have said that I think Kobe should sit out a game and rest his foot for the good of the team. I think I was wrong about that, his foot looks fine. He has definitely lost some athleticism, but he still has his veteran guile and is playing very effectively. A monster game by him as he tried to carry the team himself. A note of caution, he has played 78 minutes in two games. That's heavy play for a player who should be protected.

Gasol boarded well, but looked out-of-sync on offense.

As bad as the Celtic bench looked last night against Milwaukee, and they did, the Laker bench looked much worse.

I'm having trouble coming to grips with just how much I loathe Steve Blake. I'm trying to understand what is producing this strong an emotion in me for a small-time player who is a good citizen, not a punk, not a prima donna or strutting peacock. He is, quite bluntly, one of the most useless pro basketball players I have watched in a while. I don't expect him to fill in Steve Nash's shoes, even though they are 38-years old, but I would expect him to bring at least as much to the table as 38 year old Derek Fisher. 2-6 last night, 2 assists (from your starting point guard) 3 TOs and he fouled out. Yeah, I know he was up against CP3, but he couldn't even make it as a placeholder. Ok, I'm done bludgeoning that particular baby seal. You need to sign Delonte West. Today, not tomorrow, ahorita (that's spanish for "right now!").

15 assists for the Lakers. Missing Steve Nash, to make the offense coherent? Yep, but giving up 105 points isn't evidence of very good defense either, and Steve Nash and "defense" are never mentioned in the same breath. Howard had 5 fouls. My bet is that if Nash was playing he would have fouled out because your perimeter defense would have been even more porous, which puts even more pressure on the baseline defenders (and they pick up fouls trying to plug the hole). You guys have the same problems we have. Execrable chemistry. Thank God it's a long season, for both of us.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:59 am

This is one of the differences I think between Michael Jordan and Kobe. When the Bulls needed it Jordan could rack up the assists. Of course he didn't wan't to that much. Seems like I remember, maybe he was accused of being a gunner and went out and strung together a string of games where he was getting a lot of assists.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:19 pm

tardust wrote:This is one of the differences I think between Michael Jordan and Kobe. When the Bulls needed it Jordan could rack up the assists. Of course he didn't wan't to that much. Seems like I remember, maybe he was accused of being a gunner and went out and strung together a string of games where he was getting a lot of assists.

I don't see where Michael Jordan's .6 assists per game more then Kobe have anything to do with anything.
Kobe is not the reason why LA is 0-3. He is averaging 31 ppg while shooting 61%.
Jordan was a gunner. He averaged more fga's in his career then any other player.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Oh no, just read Steve Nash has a fractured leg and is out at least a week!! I feel bad, I like Steve Nash, I want them to lose but with at least Steve in one piece.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Cow

A week till he's evaluated again....... then I willing to bet another couple.

beat

DO I hear Delonte West in the distance?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:39 pm

beat

Delonte West has NBA starting level talent or close, hes such a headcase Lakers might be scarred he'll go off on Kobe or TAHKARA, as we know hes a powder keg waiting to go off. Now that would be entetaining!!

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:34 am

tjmakz wrote:
tardust wrote:This is one of the differences I think between Michael Jordan and Kobe. When the Bulls needed it Jordan could rack up the assists. Of course he didn't wan't to that much. Seems like I remember, maybe he was accused of being a gunner and went out and strung together a string of games where he was getting a lot of assists.

I don't see where Michael Jordan's .6 assists per game more then Kobe have anything to do with anything.
Kobe is not the reason why LA is 0-3. He is averaging 31 ppg while shooting 61%.
Jordan was a gunner. He averaged more fga's in his career then any other player.

I don't think I said that Kobe was the reason LA was 0-3, did I? I just stated that at one point Jordan wanted to get a point across that he could get assists when he wanted, and I do remember a string of games where he was averaging double digits for some games. Yes Jordan was a gunner, just as I said, as is Kobe. Not sure what Jordan being a gunner has anything to do with anything either.. Sorry if I said something that upset you. Wasn't my intention.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:29 am

I am not sure what relevance Michael Jordan has in this thread.
I doubt Michael Jordan would have a string of games averaging double digit assists if Steve Nash was his point guard.
If Jordan or Kobe wanted to focus more on assists or rebounds they both could do that. Kobe has had a great start to the year but last night he wanted to get his teammates going. He had 8 assists in the first half and only took 10 shots the whole game.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Sorry I didn't mean to offend. I will try to stay out of the conversation concerning Kobe.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:31 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Oh no, just read Steve Nash has a fractured leg and is out at least a week!! I feel bad, I like Steve Nash, I want them to lose but with at least Steve in one piece.

Heard on ESPN this morning Nash's injury is worse than previously thought and could be out for a month. Bad break for LA which is trying to establish team chemistry as quickly as possible.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:01 pm

steve3344 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Oh no, just read Steve Nash has a fractured leg and is out at least a week!! I feel bad, I like Steve Nash, I want them to lose but with at least Steve in one piece.

Heard on ESPN this morning Nash's injury is worse than previously thought and could be out for a month. Bad break for LA which is trying to establish team chemistry as quickly as possible.

Bones get brittle when you get older..................when they said a week I thought that was a bit questionable.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 pm

beat wrote:
steve3344 wrote:

Bones get brittle when you get older..................when they said a week I thought that was a bit questionable.

beat

Beat,

I don't think a teenager could come back from a broken foot in 1 week.

That whole thing screamed "stall, until we can figure out how to say this".
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:50 pm

I don't think shin bones get brittle when you are 38 years old.

The Lakers never said he would be out 1 week.
They said he would be out at least a week and would be re-evaluated at that time.

EL SEGUNDO - Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash was examined by team doctor Steve Lombardo and had an MRI exam. Results of the MRI showed a small non-displaced fracture in the head of his fibula (left leg).

The injury occurred in the second quarter of Wednesday night’s game in Portland against the Trail Blazers. Nash is expected to be out a minimum of a week. He will be re-examined and an update on his condition will be given at that time.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/121103_nashinjurynews
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:14 pm

tjmakz wrote:I don't think shin bones get brittle when you are 38 years old.

The Lakers never said he would be out 1 week.
They said he would be out at least a week and would be re-evaluated at that time.

EL SEGUNDO - Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash was examined by team doctor Steve Lombardo and had an MRI exam. Results of the MRI showed a small non-displaced fracture in the head of his fibula (left leg).

The injury occurred in the second quarter of Wednesday night’s game in Portland against the Trail Blazers. Nash is expected to be out a minimum of a week. He will be re-examined and an update on his condition will be given at that time.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/121103_nashinjurynews

TJ,

I think everything gets brittle when you get old, including patience.

What your post tells me is that the immediate symptoms were so severe that the doctors couldn't get a clear read on what they were really dealing with in a short timeframe.

That substantiates the argument that the Lakers never claimed he'd ONLY be out a week but it also substantiates the argument that this is more severe than thought.

Go West, young man. He's a headcase, but he's a proven, veteran point guard and Lord Knows you need one now. Nash won't even be able to ride a stationary bike for 2-3 weeks and that will slow down his re-integration also.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Bob,

Initially, they considered him day to day and after the MRI they found a small dispalced fracture. They want to give it a week and then make a final determination.

Small, displaced fractures are not that big of a deal even for a 38 year old.
Bones get brittle when you are an old person. Nash is an old player in the NBA but not an old person.

What do you mean that Nash is a headcase?
How do you know how long it will be before he rides a stationary bike?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:53 pm

tjmakz wrote:Bob,

Initially, they considered him day to day and after the MRI they found a small dispalced fracture. They want to give it a week and then make a final determination.

Small, displaced fractures are not that big of a deal even for a 38 year old.
Bones get brittle when you are an old person. Nash is an old player in the NBA but not an old person.

What do you mean that Nash is a headcase?
How do you know how long it will be before he rides a stationary bike?

TJ,

The head case I was referring to was Delonte WEST.

As far as the stationary bike goes, I'm assuming that if you have a broken leg you are expected to stay off it and not put stress on it. That means no running and no bike until it's at least mostly better.

If he can get on a bike within a week, then I'm going to assume he'll be out 4 weeks.
bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:00 pm

btw, we should probably rename this thread since the Lakers are now 1-3.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:03 pm

bobheckler wrote:btw, we should probably rename this thread since the Lakers are now 1-3.

We could change it to "Lakers underperforming" and probably keep it that way all year. I think they'll have more problems than many people expect. Artest actually said they'd go 73-9. In his dreams...

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next