Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

+16
gyso
dbrown4
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
sinus007
gacracker
Jerry Tarkanian
swedeinestonia
bigpygme
bobc33
KellyGreen17
beat
pete
jeb
dboss
Sam
20 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

Post by bigpygme Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:32 pm

i thought i'd heard that Ray would probably not play because he's with his diabetic and ill little boy ... would that probably mean a Daniels start ? or House ...

Michael in Denver
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 2 Empty Re: Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

Post by beat Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:54 pm

MIAMI (AP)—Ray Allen(notes) says it was a difficult decision to leave his ailing 2-year-old son and join the Boston Celtics for the start of their four-game road trip.
Allen was in the Celtics’ starting lineup Sunday night for their game in Miami, one day after missing practice. Walker Allen, who has diabetes, was in and out of the hospital over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Allen said his son cried upon learning that his father was leaving, but noted the boy stopped when told that the Celtics’ game would be on television.
Walker Allen was diagnosed with diabetes during the 2008 NBA finals, which the Celtics won.

The little guy acts like us when the C's are NOT on TV!!!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:56 pm

Tark

Wasn'r chalmers on that Kansas team? "Listen Chalmers...you work your side of the street and I'll work mine."

Bullit
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:35 pm

jeb65 wrote:Tark

Wasn'r chalmers on that Kansas team? "Listen Chalmers...you work your side of the street and I'll work mine."

Bullit

Chalmers won a Championship at Kansas I believe.............
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 2 Empty Celtics, (13-4) @ Bobcats, (7-9) Tuesday December 1st

Post by dboss Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:31 am

The Celtics travel to play the Charlotte Bobcats tonight. The Bobcats are playing well as of late winning 4 straight including a 94-87 victory over Cleveland.

The Bobcats do not put a lot of points on the board (88.2) but they are a feisty bunch that has adjusted well to ‘Larry Ball’ Led by Stephen Jackson and Gerald Wallace this team has athletic wings that can shot from the outside and drive to the basket. Defensively, this team is very good and only give up 87.9 PPG.

In the first game of the year Boston clobbered them at home 92-59 so I can only imagine the pep talk that Larry Brown will give them..

Other contributors include Raymond Felton their PG who averages 10.3 ppg and 5.1 assist, Tyson Chandler (not the player he was a few years ago) 6.1 ppg, 6.4 rebounds and 1.36 blocks and Raja Bell (missed last 5 games and may not suit up tonight)

Off the bench Ronald Murray provides some scoring and energy, the journeyman, Nazr Mohammed, DJ Augustine (trick or treat player) , round out the rotation.

What to Look for

Although the Bobcats have some athletic wings Larry Brown seems to prefer a slow down style. This actually helps Boston because they have a much better half court game than Charlotte.

Charlotte turns the ball over a lot so I expect to see the Celtics take advantage of TO’s for some transition baskets.

Charlotte is the type of team that will fight to the last minute of the game so Boston must be prepared to match their energy. With the 4 straight wins, The Bobcats are feeling pretty good about themselves and are looking to prove that they can beat the Celtics.

Three Keys to The Game For The Celtics

Push The Ball

Shut down the driving lanes

Feed the post

Last edited by dboss on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:53 am

Dboss,

Excellent job as usual. To the extent that feeding the post is one way to get points in the paint, it seems to be a routinely high priority lately. But it's interesting that points in the paint are not a panacea.

In fact, the Celtics have a much greater plurality over opponents in points in the paint during their losses than during their wins so far. I'm trying to figure out the dynamics of that; and I think it has something to do with the importance of balance. But I don't really care about the dynamics. I still love to see them attacking the hoop relentlessly.

Thanks for a routinely great job.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:15 am

Sam I could probbaly add that (pts in the paint ) to every pregame analysis.

I think that when Perk and KG and Wallace score in the post it really opens things up for our wings.

In other words go inside first and the outside opportunities will present themselves. And I still maintain that the Celtics should be almost unstoppable if they use their bigs in the post more on offense.

It is of course one of several things that they need to do. Charlotte is not partiularly big. Chandler is no where near what he was a few years ago and Mohammed is solid but hardly spectacular. So why not beat them up inside.

I also hope to see an effort to get into the offense faster to take advantage of defensive matchups.

The Bobcats are no pushovers, so the Celtics need to take care of business right away to set the tone for the rest of the game and not give them any hope for an upset win.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 2 Empty ePOLICE sez: you SIR are busted, TChan, for tweeting... but watch out for sheedtweets coming soon!

Post by gacracker Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:38 am

dboss wrote:Tyson Chandler (not the player he was a few years ago) 6.1 ppg, 6.4 rebounds and 1.36 blocks

Okay so maybe Tyson's traditional stat numbers are down a bit this year but his in-game tweet count, his TPG, is way way up.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/11/30/amare-stoudemire-tyson-chandler-get-fined-for-tweeting-during/

Check it!!! Laughing

Wait 'til our own misbehaving little 'sheed wallace purchases similar tweet tech capabilities to blast refs for no calls and bone headed calls and just plain old wrong calls... while surreptitiously sitting on the pines and the refs ain't watchin!

TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!

No holding him back now.

Get ready for 'sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed...tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeets, boys and girls.

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:43 am

dboss & Sam

In order to get those open looks in a slower game you have to go inside first most of the time. But to do so the bigs have to get up court and get to their spots quicker the better. Perk has been running the floor well. The loss of some weight has helped him in every aspect of his game.

No matter who is in there will be at least Perk, KG, or Sheed in the game at all times and at some time 2 of them. (all three might be against the rules)

Our road record is very good, could it be there are less distractions and we focus better on the road than at home?
Or does the "hostile" nature of the opposing crowd get us going a bit more than a cheering one at home?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:40 pm

Dboss,

If you mean alluding to the points in the paint in previous battles between the two teams, I guess it couldn't hurt. Actually, I'm coming slowly to the conclusion that three stats go a long way toward revealing stylistic differences between teams (offensively): (1) points in the paint; (2) what I call "enabling chemistry" (assists as a percentage of made field goals); and (3) fast break points. Basically, is it an attack team, a good playmaking team, an athletics up-tempo team? I wish there were readily available defensive stats that were as discriminating.

However, I'm not suggesting that you add anything. Exactly what you're providing is really great.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Beat,

A discussion of home/away differences would make a good thread.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:42 pm

dboss,
Just a side note: I wouldn't count Bobcats' win over Cavs as a real win. The reason being LJ was not in the game: his body language and face were clearly telling that.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:01 pm

Hey Sinus, everything okay now? Any clues as to what wouldn't allow you to sign in before?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:40 pm

Heh sinus

I'm sure the Bobcats prize that win over the Cavs. and Lebron did put up 19 shots scored 25 pts in 38 moniutes. not exactly a day off.

But as I mentioned the Bobcats have been playing well lately including the 104-88 win over Indiana and the 116-81 blowout of Toronto and and a win over the Wizards.

The Celtics are playing them at a time when they (bobcats) are playing their best basketball of the year. before they went on their 4 game streak they lost 7 straight games.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:51 pm

Good break-down dboss. The Bobcats always make me nervous. Gerald Wallace always seems to have a huge night offensively against us, and he guards Pierce really well. I know we beat them easily the first time, but I don't think that will happen again. As has been noted, they are playing much better now than they were early in the season, and the pickup of Stephen Jackson has certainly changed the dynamic of the team. I don't expect a blow-out this time, although I do expect the C's to win. I think it's going to come down to the last few minutes of the game and with the C's having more experience closing out games, they will win by a couple baskets.

Go Celtics!
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:00 pm

Dboss

Didn't Vlad get traded to gsw?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:11 pm

Yes he was traded recently. I removed reference to him in my thread. Thanks

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 2 Empty Celtics, (14-4) @ Spurs, (9-6) Thursday December 3rd at 8:00 PM

Post by dboss Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:34 pm

I decided to post the pregame analysis a day early because I will be tied up in meetings all day tomorrow.

The Celtics continue their road trip in San Antonio tomorrow. The Spurs also have been playing well and have won 5 straight. They started the year off poorly but have righted their ship. They are a well coached team with a lot of discipline.

Like the Celtics, the Spurs made two significant off season moves by acquiring Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess. Both are in the starting lineup and that may be a reason why the Spurs lost 6 of their first 10 games. Tim Duncan had an ankle injury but is healthy again and putting up Tim Duncan type numbers during their winning streak at 20.6 ppg and 9.8 rebounds. Perkins will get a chance to continue to prove his worth. It will be interesting to see if Boston Doubles Duncan in the post or lets Perk check him one on one. The Celtics however have the luxury of playing KG and Wallace on Duncan as well.

Tony Parker is as tough a cover as there is in the NBA. I love to watch him weave his way around and between screens for layups at the rim or quick passes to open shooters. He averages 16.5 ppg and 5.5 assists. This is another opportunity for Rondo to play against a PG that can cause him all sorts of problems. Tony is not a very good defensive player so I expect Rondo to hold his own.

Richard Jefferson was a significant upgrade at SF for the Spurs. His points are down but that is what happens when you play for a team with a ton of offensive options. Paul Pierce has had some memorable matchups against Jefferson. Paul has learned how to defer to his teammates yet we have already seen him take over several games this year when that is what was needed by the Celtics.

KG will match up with the veteran McDyess but he is only playing around 21 mpg. Look for Matt Bonner to come in and provide some perimeter shooting from the PF spot.

Keith Bogans always seems to play well against the Celtics but he is not a big time scorer and really plays short minutes. Ray Allen is back on track and it would be nice to see Ray shoot the lights out.

The main guy off the bench for the Spurs is Ginobili. He played in their win against Philly but missed the previous 6 games with a groin pull. Daniels will match up with him.

Spurs BU PG George Hill is a very good player that can hit the three and is quick off the dribble. Eddie House will need to stay in front of him and be ready for 3 pt attempts.

Roger Mason brings some athleticism off the bench but has been bothered by a Hamstring injury

Michael Finley is still on the team but playing a reduced role (15 mpg) and old friend Theo Ratliff is also on the roster.

Road to Victory

Get off to a fast start

Push the ball and get into the offense quickly before the Spurs can set up

Pound Timmy and his boys down low. We got the beef .

Don’t let Tony put on a clinic. Rajon needs to stay in front of him and rotations off the screen must come hard and fast. Give him no room to cut to the basket.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:26 am

i really like and appreciate your research and reviews pre-game -- it's a great way to prepare for the game, and a great contribution to the board IMHO.

we have all kinds of ways to come at these guys ad put up points, but are we going to play team D tonight, or are we going to let Tony and Ginobili run roughshod all over the place on us?

Michael in Denver
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:52 am

Great job again dboss. I expect this game to be a low scoring affair. I think it will be a defensive battle, and if we come out ready to play D like we did against Charlotte, we should win the game. I think we match up well with the Spurs. I hope Rondo plays within the team system and doesn't try to prove that he's better than Parker. Sometimes I think the PG rivalries get in Rondo's head and he ends up having a poor game as a result.

I got bored and decided to peruse the Spurs forums. Most fans think this will be a test for the Spurs to see if they can get a win against "an elite team". It seems half of the fans are expecting to lose, and the other half is just hoping that Pop will actually play their guys big minutes so they will have a chance to win. I came across one board that wanted someone from the Spurs to "go cobra kai" on Garnett's knee. They seem to hate the Celtics, especially KG, Ray and Pierce. I'm really not sure where their animosity is coming from...I really don't have strong feelings for the Spurs one way or another and would certainly never wish injury on Duncan. I think they are just scared of our Big Three and think that an injury is the only way to beat us.

Go Celtics!
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:03 pm

Kelly

It is always interesting to hear what other fans are saying.

The Spurs desperately want to get back to the championship. As a matter of fact I think a few of the ESPN prognosticators picked them to win the west. They have had a few bumps and bruses but so has everyone else.

Even with the additions they have made I do not see them higher than 4th in the west. This game is just as important to us as it is to them.

The reason why spurs fans do not like the celtics is becasue of the battles that KG had against them when he was in sota. Him and Duncan use to really go at it.

I look for Boston to pull off a big win tonight in a low scoring contest 92-87

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Kelly, I think there's latent immaturity and maturity in all sports fans, regardless of age. There seems to be the capacity to suspend one's normal personality profile when sports become involved.

In the "alternative personalities" of some people, youthful exuberance over sports simply isn't balanced sufficiently by a reasonable maturity factor...and childishness results. Those idiots who are advocating trying to injure a player (even if some of it is tongue-in-cheek) simply need to grow up—even in their suspended sports personae.

The good news is usually that life will eventually teach them the proper lessons, one way or another. But there are some who seem to hold out for an eternity.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Sam

The "trolls" back on bdc seemed to be LIVING in that hateful ugly energy.

Like there fondest hope was KG would never be KG again.

I think it is fear based. Deep down they hate what they fear.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:05 pm

dboss, good point about KG and his T-Wolves days. I guess it makes sense for them to dislike him. I was shocked to see that there are people that hate Ray Allen though. He's always been a class act and never lets his emotions get the best of him, unlike KG and Pierce.

Jeb, I think you hit the nail on the head with the fear factor. That's why it doesn't upset me that people hate the C's. I was just surprised that the hate was coming from a team that we only see twice a year and haven't played in the Finals.

Sam, those people were definitely childish. It really was a small sampling of people that wished for an injury, as I found it on a less frequented board than some of the others I read. But I was disturbed that not one person responded that it was unsportsman-like to wish for injury. I love my sports as much as anyone, but I want my team to win the right way, not by injury or dirty play. I just think it's so sad that people can be so hateful.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Kelly

People HIDE behind computers and a lot of people say things they would NEVER say to somebodies face. Lot of scared people fronting tough. Weird deal.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next