Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

+16
gyso
dbrown4
cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
sinus007
gacracker
Jerry Tarkanian
swedeinestonia
bigpygme
bobc33
KellyGreen17
beat
pete
jeb
dboss
Sam
20 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 4 Empty Re: Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

Post by jeb Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:29 pm

Welcome! That was a fine year.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 4 Empty Re: Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

Post by dboss Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:58 pm

1986 wrote:dboss,

I miss your company. It's always a delight to read your posts.

Cheers.

Believe it or not yesterday I sent Sam an email and mentioned that he needed to get in contact with you and he told me he had already done that and you had already posted on the board. All I could say was wow! Sam and I often have those type of connections and it is truly amazing to me.

Welcome to the board. This a magnificent forum for lively and respectful debates. When you come here you will have entered a "Troll Free Zone"

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:11 pm

Sam

Thanks for your response to the pregame thread.

I really like the kid Noah. He is a 'Celtics' type player. KG appears to be recovered from his injury although In think his offense may be slightly ahead of his defense. KG may get beat down the court once but I think he will run hard on defense to limit Noah from getting out in front.

This is a good matchup in terms of the different styles of players on both teams. I watched the OT game last night between GS and the Bulls just to get a feel for how the Bulls are playing. GS should have won the game but they fell apart in the second half. GS put up 28 3 pointers and only hit 8 of them. Down the stretch they just kept shooting (and missing) jumpers.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:38 pm

dboss,

Great pregame thread, as usual. I also enjoyed the "pound the snot out of the Bulls" comment. Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 4 Icon_razz

I also like Noah as a player and would welcome him on our roster. Notwithstanding (LOL, new word - see the CBA sal cap thread) what some have said about him earlier, I believe he would be quite an asset due to his high BB IQ.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:46 pm

gyso wrote:dboss,

Great pregame thread, as usual. I also enjoyed the "pound the snot out of the Bulls" comment. Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 4 Icon_razz

I also like Noah as a player and would welcome him on our roster. Notwithstanding (LOL, new word - see the CBA sal cap thread) what some have said about him earlier, I believe he would be quite an asset due to his high BB IQ.

gyso

gyso thanks for your response.

Should be a fun game to watch tonight.

I'm going to post something on the CBA thread.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 1986 Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Jeb65,

Big thanks pal for your warm welcome.
I feel so great being with you all here in Sam's site.

Best wishes to you in everything pal.

Cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1986 Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:48 pm

dboss,

I'm also waiting for a chance to see a new post coming from you in the Globe. When I don't see them coming, I thought that you don't bother anymore to visit there. But I knew you are having the best enjoyable time
with our finest comrades here.

I'd like to request from you one thing, if its alright with you. Would you like to provide us again your one one one report with Doc Rivers, the latest report? hahaha.

Cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:44 pm

I have been wondering if there are others in the wasteland at bdc of quality that we could invite over.

This place is sweet.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:16 am

1986 wrote:dboss,

I'm also waiting for a chance to see a new post coming from you in the Globe. When I don't see them coming, I thought that you don't bother anymore to visit there. But I knew you are having the best enjoyable time
with our finest comrades here.

I'd like to request from you one thing, if its alright with you. Would you like to provide us again your one one one report with Doc Rivers, the latest report? hahaha.

Cheers.

I used to do a few 'interview with Doc' threads as well as other players and even some of the posters to add a bit of humor. I used to get responses from posters that actually believed the interview were real. It was pretty funny to me.

But I'll be doing a thread here on a regular basis (today) entitled Around the NBA and I will make an attempt to add some with a few news worthy facts. Matter of fact I need to finish the thread now and get it posted

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 4 Empty Celtics, (19-4) @ Grizzlies, (10-13) Monday 12/14/2009 8:00 PM

Post by dboss Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:53 pm

The Celtics continue on to game three of their current road trip with a visit to Memphis.

Although Memphis is 10-13, they have been playing well lately and won 4 of their last 5 games including a big win on the road yesterday against the Heat. Rudy Gay had a career night scoring 41 points on 15-28 from the field and 8-12 from the line. And Mark Gasol was an absolute beast scoring 16 points and grabbing 15 rebounds.

This team has put several different starting units on the floor this year. I expect to see Gay and Gasol joined in the starting lineup by Zach Randolph 18 PPG and 10.2 rebounds, OJ Mayo 17.5 ppg, and Mike Conley 9.4 ppg with 4.8 assists.

Keys to the game.

The Grizzlies can score a lot of points, rebound well off of both boards and shoot a high percentage from the field (.474) but their problem is with their defense. They have no shot blocker and no defensive stopper at any of the starting positions and that is why teams still score more points against them and also shoot a higher percentage from the field (.485)

The Celtics should play fast and try to wear down the giant Gasol who is big and slow.

Rajon should be able to dominant at the point and set the tempo on defense and offense.

The bigs need to keep Randolph and Gasol off the glass and try to push them away from the basket. Williams should see some minutes in this one.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:14 pm

dboss

This one gives me the willies. I hope we hit the glass and defend. I personally am also worried about "the streak" dont care if we lose one if minutes stay right. I hope Doc and the players dont get too geeked up trying to keep it alive. So far so good moss def!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 4 Empty Celtics, (20-4) host Sixers, (6-19) Friday 12/18/2009 7:30 PM

Post by dboss Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:29 pm

After several needed days off from their road trip, The Celtics will entertain the 76ers at home at 7:30 PM.

This will be the second meeting between these two teams this year.

I must tell you that I do not like the Sixers and I take it personally. You know why? It has nothing to do with Andrew Toney or DJ (sucker punching LB while being held by Moses)

This goes back much further and brings back a memory of The Celtics playing in Philly during the playoffs. The Philly fans were throwing eggs on the court and Sam Jones slipped and they called a traveling violation on him giving the sixers the basketball. Oh and the Celtics lost that game.

So I am sure you can imagine my bliss when Boston humiliated the sixers in their building on November 3rd 105-74.

The game tonight will feature the return of Allen Iverson.

His return has not made a difference, Philly is just plan horrible. They lost 12 in a row then finally won a game and then lost wed to the cavs.

I decided not to mention the starters and their stats individually. We know who they are. Their record is 6-19 and 2-10 on the road. They average 97.2 ppg and give up 101.6 ppg.

Andre Iguodala name is worth mentioning only for the stink he made about wanting to be introduced last. Reports out of Philly however indicates that AI got all the cheers and then Iguodala was introduced with a few hand claps. He may be a very good basketball player but it is easy to see why this team is going no where fast.

Keys to the Game

I want to see the Celtics smash the sixers and send them on their way.

The Celtics can play offense but the sixers cannot play defense (at least not for long stretches of the game) A brisk pace combined with equitable distribution of the basketball will take care of the offense.

On defense, keep them out of the lanes and box them out on the glass.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Dboss,

I think Iverson's out for this game, isn't he? Not that it matters, as far as I'm concerned.

For me, the 76ers are second only to the Lakers in terms of the teams I love to watch the Celtics beat. You haven't lived until you've sat like a friggin' bronco rider in a temporary seat in Philly, as the fans tossed your section of seats up and down and yelled, "Boston is dead!" and your team lost after winning eight consecutive championships. City of Brotherly Phlegm.

(A happy ending, though, when I went right back the next year and serenaded the entire arena after a very different result.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Sam wrote:Dboss,

I think Iverson's out for this game, isn't he? Not that it matters, as far as I'm concerned.

For me, the 76ers are second only to the Lakers in terms of the teams I love to watch the Celtics beat. You haven't lived until you've sat like a friggin' bronco rider in a temporary seat in Philly, as the fans tossed your section of seats up and down and yelled, "Boston is dead!" and your team lost after winning eight consecutive championships. City of Brotherly Phlegm.

(A happy ending, though, when I went right back the next year and serenaded the entire arena after a very different result.)

Sam

Not sure if AI will be in or out. Iverson underwent an MRI on Thursday morning that revealed arthritis in. Iverson underwent an MRI on Thursday morning that revealed arthritis in his left knee and a left shoulder contusion. I hope this Answers your question.

If he is out that will be a problem since Lou Williams is also recovering from and injury (fractured jaw)

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:54 pm

Sam, you are correct, Iverson will not play due to an arthritic knee. I don't really have strong feelings for the sixers one way or the other, but it doesn't matter, I still want to see the C's "smash the sixers and send them on their way"!
I do have to say that I kind of like Iguodala and wouldn't mind him on the C's though! That was a pretty immature move to demand being announced last, but he's still got a pretty good game. He plays Pierce pretty well...
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:13 pm

dboss,

It has been a long time, but just hearing the name Andrew Toney makes me nervous. They guy was a good player, who I think had his career cut short by an injury, but man at times against us he was unconscious.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Boc

Hal Greer was also a tough cover. Hated his shot. Would also kick his leg out

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 4 Empty Celtics, (20-5) host Timberwolves (5-22) Sunday 12/20/2009 @ 6:00 PM

Post by dboss Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:05 pm

Sunday night at 6:00 PM the Celtics play host to the Minnesota Timberwolves. It is always nice to see this team play because I still like Al Jefferson and Ryan Gomes.

The Wolves have struggled this year as indicated by their 5-22 record. However they have been playing better as of late now that Kevin Love is back in the starting lineup. Kevin has posted 4 straight double doubles and is now averaging 14.2 ppg and an impressive 14.6 rebounds including 5.2 on the offensive glass.

One of the beneficiaries of his return is the production coming from Big Al. Over the past 5 games his scoring average is 21.4 ppg and he is also getting 10.6 rebounds. Anytime you have two players in the lineup that average 10+ boards per game you are going to be competitive on the court.

Remember during the draft when the T wolves drafted all those point guards? Well Johnny Flynn has emerged as their floor leader averaging 14 ppg and 4.2 assists in his first NBA season. He has scored in double figures in 21 out of 27 games and put up a 28 pt monster game in the Wolves big win over Utah earlier in the week.

Ryan Gomes (12 ppg and 5.3 rebounds) and Cory Brewer (11.4 ppg with 4.1 rebounds) round out the starting five.

The Wolves have a solid BU PG in Ramon Sessions (8.1 ppg and 3.1 assists) and SF Sasha Pavlovic (5.2 ppg and 3 rebs) are part of their regular rotation.

I did not realize it but Mark Blount is on this team as well. He has been a total non-factor except on Payday when he is collecting his $7,967,375 salary. Wow!

Love’s return will certainly help in the scoring and rebounding column but neither him nor Al are known to be very good at the defensive end of the court. The team has no shot blocker (Team average 3.1 blocks per game) and the team surrenders 104.3 PPG

Keys To The Game

This has really been a great year for rookie point guards. Rondo will need to keep Flynn in check and also use his speed and quickness to get to the rim. Love and Jefferson do not move well laterally so Rondo could have a feast.

No one knows how to play Jefferson better than Perkins. They are close friends. Al is going to be surprised when he gets a look at all those nifty moves that Perk has been working on. Perk needs to have another strong game on the glass.

KG is longer than Love and should be able to get any shot he wants over love. Love however is a very intelligent player that can score and sneak in there for offensive rebounds so KG needs to be on his toes on the defensive end.

The Celtics should win the PP vs Gomes and Ray Allen vs Brewer matchups. Gomes however has become a pretty good perimeter shooter and Brewer is long and athletic. Pierce and Allen need to play with some intensity.

Sessions off the bench for Sota could create some problems for Boston. Ramon is listed at 6’ 3” so this could be a perfect situation for Doc to use TA on defense against him.

The Wolves have no one off the bench to play Wallace and Boston should exploit that mismatch at every opportunity.

I expect that this will be a close game if Boston does not take advantage of their superiority. But Boston has to be a little pissed that they let one slip away Friday night and perhaps the perfect formula for taking a measure of revenge will present itself in the form of the Minnesota T’Wolves.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:04 am

dboss,

I always likes Ryan Gomes. He was the one player traded from the Celtics in the RA/KG trades that I wished at the time that we could have kept.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 4 Empty Celtics, (21-5) host the Pacers, (9-17) 12/22/2009 @ 7:30 PM

Post by dboss Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:02 pm

Sorry I’m late. Been busy all day one of my sons flew in from Boston.

The Celtics host the Indianan Pacers tonight at 7:30 PM. We all remember what happened in the first meeting on November 14th. The Pacers handed the Celtics a 113-104 loss in a game played in Indiana.

The main guys for the Pacer are Danny Granger. He smoked the C’s for 29 point. Danny has developed into a top of the line small forward. He can shoot the three, go to he hoop and is also an above averaged defender.

Dahntay Jones (how come he did not stick with the Celtics) played a strong game. He is averaging 13.2 PPG and is a very athletic player that seems to have developed a decent outside jumper,

Roy Hibbert, the mammoth center out of Georgetown, mans the middle and he can rebound and block shots and can score in the post.

Troy Murphy, the PF, is a solid player that can score (13.4 ppg ) and rebound very well at 9.2 rebounds per game. He can hit the outside shot and is not afraid to mix it up under the basket.

Duke product Mike Dunleavy is a solid although unspectacular SF that is fundamentally strong but does not have the quickness of most SF in the league.

The PG is Earl Watson. Earl is ok but to me he is not a quality starting PG. TJ ford is the backup and brings speed and quickness to the court. He is not a good defender but is a pretty good PG that knows how to run an offense.

The Pacers are coming off 3 straight losses.

Keys to the game

In the last game we saw tremendous ball movement by Boston. The same formula will work against the Pacers and since they shoot around 43% from the field, Good defense should keep them there.

If PP can stay up on Danny, the Pacers cannot win this game.

Boston needs to hit the glass hard and Rajon should set a brisk pace on offense.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 4 Empty Celtics, (22-5) @ Magic, (22-7) Christmas Day, 2009

Post by dboss Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:43 am

Merry Christmas to all!

The Celtics will play the Magic in Orlando today at 2:30.

This is a potential ‘show me” game because Orlando made a visit to Boston a little over a month ago and came away with an 83-78 victory. The 78 pts was a season low for Boston who despite their offensive woes, was able to hold the high scoring Magic to 83 points.

The 22-7 Magic have won three games in a row and are difficult to beat at home with their impressive 12-2 record. Led by stud Center Dwight Howard, 17.8 ppg, 13.1 rebs and 2.48 blocks, the Magic are at least as good as they were last year at this time (22-6)

Although Vince Carter is shooting a low percentage from the field (.394) he still has managed to lead the Magic in scoring 18.6 ppg and he also grabs 5.1 rebounds and hands out 3.2 assists. Vince Carter is a scorer.

Rashard Lewis may be one of the toughest covers in the NBA because he has length at the PF spot but shoots the 3 pointer like a small forward and is shooting a very impressive .418 from behind the arc. And if you play up on him too tight he will take you off the dribble and head to the basket. He is also the second leading rebounder on the team.

Jameer Nelson is back and playing well. He averages 12.9 ppg and 5.1 assist. He is deceptively quick and is also a dangerous jump shooter who will not hesitate.

Another dangerous player on this team and also a very underated player by NBA Standards is Michael Pietrus. He is one of those players that always seems to get off when he plays Boston. In the first meeting it was Pietrus who set the tone early by knocking down three pointers all over the place. He went 4-4 in the game and played tough defense against PP.

J. J. Redick has finally developed into a pretty good player. During the past five games he is averaging 12.2 ppg and has hit 8 out of 15 from behind the arc.

Matt Barnes, Ryan Anderson, Brandon Bass and BU center Gortat round out the Magic’s 10 man rotation.

Keys to The Game

The Magic are at their best when they get up and down the court. Therefore the Celtics need to slow them down and not get caught under the defensive glass.

The Celtics will miss Paul Pierce’s scoring so other guys need to step it up. Ray Allen, in particular needs to have a big game so I expect to see the Celtics run more offensive plays for him.

TA most likely will replace Pierce in the starting lineup and that may be a good matchup with Pietrus.

This is not going to be an easy game. Even with PP the Magic have the talent in their starting 5 that is extremely difficult to match up with.

Everything will begin at the defensive end where Boston must play an “A” game to pull this one off.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:30 pm

as an old Dukie myself, i was a BIG JJ Redick fan and have been happy to see him emerge as a competent NBA player recently.
i just hope he doesn't pick today to start raining three's down on us.

Go C's

Michael in Denver
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 4 Empty Celtics, (23-5) @ Clippers, (12-17) Sunday 12/27/2009

Post by dboss Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:32 pm

The Celtics continue their road trip tonight in LA where they play that other team, the Clippers. One thing about the Clippers is their consistency. At 12-19 they are on pace for yet another losing season. The Clippers have lost three straight as their offense has struggled to score. They give up almost 100 points be game but only manage to score in the mid nineties.

Great talent has come and gone from this franchise but it seems that they will forever be stuck in the mud of mediocrity.

Led by veteran PG Baron Davis (16 ppg and 7.6 asst), the Clips have size in the front court with Marcus Camby (8.3 ppg and 11.5 rebounds) and Chris Kaman who averages 19.8 ppg and is a strong rebounder at 9 per contest. Undersized shooting guard Eric Gordon 17.2 ppg and SF Al Thornton 13.2 ppg round out the starting 5.

Off the bench they bring Rasual Butler 10.2 ppg Craig Smith and Sebatian Telfair .

The Clippers have nothing to lose and the Celtics have every thing to gain. No game on the road is easy regardless of whom your opponent is.

Keys to the Game

The Celtics should put a lot of points on the board tonight.

Rajon should just run past Davis at every opportunity.

The Celtics should be able to score inside because the Clips have no one to match up with Rasheed coming off the bench.

Tony Allen needs to keep Thornton away from the rim and close him out on the perimeter.

Kaman is a solid player and Perk needs to limit his touches. Camby can alter shots but KG should be able to take him away from the rim.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:05 pm

dboss,

The Clippers have had some very bad management. The year that they signed Baron, Brand had opted out of his contract. The Clipper management assumed that Brand would re-sign, as did Baron (I think). They should have gotten Brand under contract first and then signed Baron. They didn't. So instead of getting better, they...just...got...

Different.

Yet the same.

This is going to be a late game, so there may not be many on the Game On! thread. I'll try to watch tonight, but I have to work tomorrow. The situation with my job requires me to work this week, it doesn't require me to work HARD!! Celtics Pre-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 4 Icon_razz

Thanks for another great pre-game post.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:11 pm

dboss

This one for some reason makes me nervous. It is an easy game for the celts to overlook. I think if we dictate the opening quarter tone we will win. If we get down by ten it might be a struggle.

I hope BBD gets some minutes and I hope we packed our intensity on d.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next