Draft Prospects

5 posters

Go down

Draft Prospects Empty Draft Prospects

Post by bobheckler Sun May 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Might as well create a thread for the upcoming draft. There was another thread about mock drafts too. If someone wants to combine them, that's fine. I'm still in Auckland, leaving to come home today.

Here, Forsberg has an article about Steven Adams of Pitt. He's a Kiwi, and they had a nice piece about him here and his NBA prospects. The footage of him they showed had him hitting jumpers from 17' straight out and from the elbow with a nice stroke. The good news is that if Adams climbs past #16 then somebody with talent will get pushed down to us. Either way, we win.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4705282/adams-a-center-of-attention

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Here's pretty much all you need to know about Pittsburgh center Steven Adams: He comes with the Brian Scalabrine stamp of approval.

Scalabrine, the former Celtic and cult figure (turned television analyst), suggested earlier this month during a local radio appearance that Boston should consider Adams with their lone pick -- No. 16 overall -- in next month's NBA draft. Scalabrine raved about the long-term potential of the 19-year-old 7-footer out of New Zealand, calling him a "freak athlete" and comparing him favorably to former Chicago teammate Omer Asik.

Scalabrine is somewhat biased, having worked out with Adams in advance of the draft, but his glowing review is seemingly one being adopted by talent evaluators across the league. Adams is climbing draft boards this week and ESPN.com draft guru Chad Ford shuffled him up to a potential lottery pick (landing at 13th overall in Ford's top 100; third at his position).

Adams was the top-ranked prospect among 12 players Boston auditioned in pre-draft workouts at their training facility in recent days. After showcasing a better-than-expected offensive game at the draft combine in Chicago, Adams has caught the attention of teams across the league.

So what exactly has Scalabrine been teaching him?

"He’s been up against NBA players, so he knows how they play," said Adams. "He’s just been showing me, not tricks, but the basic fundamentals of NBA play. Like, you can get away with a lot more physicality and throwing a lot more [elbows] around. He’s just showing me that side of things and separation on the court. How to use the 3-point line."

One season after Boston drafted a pair of bigs (Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo) in the first round, Adams comes with the Melo-like tag of being a potential long-term project. He averaged 7.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2 blocks over 23.4 minutes per game as a freshman at Pittsburgh this past season, but his pure size and athleticism -- along with a relentless motor -- make him an intriguing target.

Celtics assistant coach Jay Larranaga, who ran the pre-draft workouts and works with the team's big men during the season, came away impressed by what he saw from Adams on Saturday.

"I thought he was great today," Larranaga said. "I think he showed his size and athleticism, which is what most people first see. He competed, and he showed a high basketball IQ. I think through these workouts, he’s shown maybe more skill than people realized he had during his year at Pittsburgh. He was just a lot of fun to work with."

The "Kiwi Phenom" has a fascinating story as one of 18 children. He got a taste of New England after spending a short time at Fitchburg-based prep school Notre Dame Academy. Adams kept things light with Boston reporters during a brief post-workout chat on Saturday and displayed the sort of charm that should help endear him to those deciding his NBA future.

A potential climb up draft boards doesn't bode particularly well for Boston, which likely would prefer Adams stick to his initial mid-round projection so that they at least have a chance to decide if he's their guy at No. 16. Adams is still acclimating to the American game, but said one season at Pittsburgh helped that process.

"I think I got a lot better because I got to understand how basketball is in America, the whole culture and the coaching system, and all that sort of stuff," said Adams. "It was a great learning experience from that standpoint. In New Zealand, the level is much lower. So getting to that strategic side of things was definitely a good learning [experience]."

The Celtics needed big-man help last season as depth was eroded by injuries and departures. Adams might be raw, but there's a whole lot of potential. And having the Scalabrine stamp of approval can't hurt his cause.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Draft Prospects Empty Re: Draft Prospects

Post by bobheckler Sun May 26, 2013 8:06 pm

btw, Draftexpress currently has the Celtics taking Steven Adams with #16. Draftexpress says he's no threat from outside, but I saw him shooting some. They must have cherry-picked those videos...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Steven-Adams-6301/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 26, 2013 8:22 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4705253/draft-workouts-points-and-center-stage

Judging from the players they are working out, I wouldn't be shocked if we see some current roster players packaged, perhaps along with our #16 pick, for a quality player and some lower 1st round and/or 2nd round picks. Some of these players are not worth a #16, not even close, which suggests we're moving down one way or another.

WALTHAM, Mass. -- The Boston Celtics hosted six players -- four point guards and two centers -- as part of the second day of pre-draft workouts at their training facility on Saturday.

The point guards featured Baylor's Pierre Jackson, Texas' Myck Kabongo, Missouri's Phil Pressey, and Miami's Shane Larkin, while the big men were Pittsburgh's Steven Adams and Creighton's Gregory Echenique.

This came one day after a similar six-man workout that featured guards in Louisville's Peyton Siva, Providence's Ricky Ledo, Virginia Tech's Erick Green, and Marquette's Vander Blue, along with big men in Colorado State's Colton Iverson and Kansas' Jeff Withey.

Celtics assistant coach Jay Larranaga helmed the workouts, which featured a variety of drills before a grueling three-minute running exercise with strength and conditioning coach Bryan Doo to close out the session.

"I thought [the workout] went great," said Larranaga. "We always just want to see the guys give great effort, be competitive, and we always tell them to just show the best version of yourself, and I think everyone did that. They didn't try to do too much. They stayed within the team concept, and it was a lot of fun.

"We try to make everything as game-like as possible. And then find the intangibles that winning teams have [like] toughness, team spirit, and then obviously just evaluating their skills. What are they good at? Are they good shooters? Are they good defenders? Good passers? I think we had a little mixture of all that today."

And as for the late-session run that left most players huffing and puffing as media were let in after the workouts?

"That's B-Doo's job," said Larranaga with a smile. "That's a staple of the Celtics workout, that three-minute run, and I'm fortunate that I don't have to participate."

The Celtics own only one pick in this year's draft, No. 16, after trading away a pair of second-round picks to Portland as part of a three-team sign-and-trade swap to land Courtney Lee. Is the team tipping its hand a bit by almost exclusively bringing in point guards and centers?

"My job is to run the workout," said Larranaga. "Whoever they bring in, the four or five or six guys that come in, we try to put them through a tough workout where they can show all their different skills. I have no idea what [coach] Doc [Rivers] and [president of basketball operations] Danny [Ainge] are looking for. I think so far we've had 12 really good players, and all of them with NBA potential, so they're obviously doing a great job of getting guys in there."

Read on for a handful of quick hits from the session, including Pressey's dash to Bertucci's Italian Restaurant and the Scalabrine Stamp of Approval for Adams:

* PRESSEY BACK IN WALTHAM: Pressey, whose father Paul was a part of Rivers' coaching staff from 2004-06 (and an advanced scout in 2006-07), played a year of high school ball at nearby Waltham High School and often spent time at the team's practice facility while growing up (both for practice with Leo Papile's BABC squad and while shadowing his father). Pressey, pegged as a potential late-round pick, said of returning to Waltham, "It's crazy. Most of these coaches were here when my dad was here, so it's like they saw me when I was in the 8th or 9th grade... I don't feel like anything has changed much. I came into Waltham, I had to go to Bertucci's, that's my spot right there, so I had to hit that spot up. It feels like I came back home. It feels the same to me."

* MORE FAMOUS BLOODLINES: Shane Larkin is the son of Barry Larkin, the 12-time All-Star and Hall of Fame shortstop of the Cincinnati Reds. What's more, his uncle, Byron, starred at Xavier before spending six seasons playing professionally overseas. You can add in uncles Mike (Notre Dame football) and Steve (Texas baseball) to the family's sports lineage.

* ADAMS IS MEDIA READY: Adams already comes with the Brian Scalabrine stamp of approval (Scalabrine has coached him in pre-draft workouts and suggested the Celtics consider him with their pick), and he won over local media with his disarming nature. A 7-foot center out of New Zealand, Adams is no stranger to the region, having spent time at prep school warehouse Notre Dame Academy in Fitchburg. He averaged 7.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2 blocks per game as a freshman at Pittsburgh before declaring for the draft. He's got a fascinating background as one of 18 children. His half-sister is Valerie Kasanita Vili-Adams, the 2008 Olympic shot put champion (she's also a three-time world champ in the sport).

* SULLINGER MAKES A CAMEO: Boston's top pick in last year's draft, Jared Sullinger, got up shots after the workout while he continues his rehab from back surgery in February. Sullinger talked earlier this week about his 10-week rehab program aimed at getting him back to 100 percent for training camp.

* WILLIAMS HERE, TOO: Terrence Williams, who was arrested earlier this month in Washington and remains under investigation for second-degree assault, also worked out at the team's facility on Saturday. He openly discussed his situation with reporters and noted that he met with both Ainge and Rivers to discuss his future with the team. Williams said he remains a potential part of the team's future despite his ongoing legal issues and nonguaranteed contract.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue May 28, 2013 1:02 pm

As of 5/28, mynbadraft.com has the Celts taking Mason Plumlee with #16 and Steven Adams going #17 to Atlanta. Not knowing much about Adams other than what is written, this is not unreasonable.

nbadraft.com has Steven Adams going #15, we take 6'6" SF Shabazz Mohammed with 16 and Mason Plumlee going to Atlanta at 17. They have Dieng going to NY at 24. Are they not paying attention to roster needs at all?

Hoopsworld has us taking 6'7" SF Reggie Bullock and Adams going 17 to Atlanta. Another "huh". They must really be counting on Pierce being gone.

Hoopshype has us taking Shabazz at 16 and Plumlee going to Atlanta too. Dieng to NYK at 24 also.

Am I the only one who thinks that anybody who sees us drafting anybody but a big, preferably a center, or a backup point guard is crazy? Is there something wrong with Plumlee, that these "experts" have us passing on him in favor of a wing player? Unless we are talking about an absolute unconscious knock-down shooter, I don't see why a wing would be high on our list.

Watch Danny make me look like an idiot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:15 pm

As of 6/4, draftexpress has us taking Rudy Gobert with #16.

7'2", 238#, 7'8 1/2" wingspan, 4.4% body fat (no wonder he's only 238#!), almost 21 years old.

According to draftexpress, his 7'8 1/2" wingspan is the longest they have ever recorded. He's a freaking condor!

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Rudy-Gobert-5878/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=43nbxlfcTl0

Watching the video, his offense makes him look like another Ryan Hollins. Decent hands, though, some of those bounce passes were a little low but no offense outside of stuffs. Another player with harder hands might not have gotten those passes. His O-board putbacks showed soft hands and control too. They describe him as an "elite anchor in the paint". Watching this kid's defensive highlights, he has really quick hands and feet.

He has worked out for Sacto and Phoenix and Philly. He might not be around for us but that's ok because that means someone else will get pushed down to us. I love it when these dark horses coming out of nowhere and scarf up a more predictable pick's slot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:27 pm

Looks like the rumour de jour of us having a promise to take Dennis Schroeder may be going away fast. He's reportedly looked pretty ordinary in workouts, even being held in check by a couple of coaches non-roster sons in at least one article I read. We can find an average point guard without wasting a draft pick.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:46 pm

NYCelt wrote:Looks like the rumour de jour of us having a promise to take Dennis Schroeder may be going away fast. He's reportedly looked pretty ordinary in workouts, even being held in check by a couple of coaches non-roster sons in at least one article I read. We can find an average point guard without wasting a draft pick.

Nycelt,

I never believed the rumor of us promising Schroeder we'd take him. That would be SO not Danny. He wouldn't promise his mother he'd take her in advance.

What does he gain from doing that?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:17 pm

No one with the 16th pick makes promises about taking anyone. There's just no way. Too much can happen before your pick comes up.

Makes me want to spend a month in a remote location in Nepal or New Zealand just to avoid all this mindless drivel. Of course, I want to spend a month in Nepal and New Zealand just on general principles.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Bob,

I don't know; he might at least promise his mom.

She was supposed to have had a better jumper than Danny had...

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:44 am

As of 6/15:

draftexpress has us taking the 6'9", 196# toothpick from Greece, Giannis Adetokunbo.  an 18 year old SF.

Interestingly, they have Olynyk and Plumlee still on the board when we pick at 16, and they have us taking this kid.

nbadraft.net has us taking Dennis Schroeder.

SBNation has us taking Caldwell-Pope, a 6'6" SG whom the Celts worked out this week.

CBS Sports has two pundits playing against each other.  One has us taking Olynyk (but still has Adams on the board until 18, while Dieng and Gobert, who have been considered low 1st rounders, already gone.  Hmmm) and the other has us taking Schroeder.

Of course, all this isn't worth doodly-squat if the Clippers-Celtics trade happens since that will change our roster, and therefore our needs, OR, at the bare minimum, change the chips Trader Danny has to play with.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:09 pm

As of 6/20, just 7 days from the draft, here' what the mock drafts are saying.

This is, of course, a complete joke since how can someone predict who we might take when we don't know if we'll have KG or not, much less anybody else, but what-the-hell.

draftexpress has us taking Shane Larkin.

mynbadraft.net has us taking Olynyk.

nbadraft.net has us taking Schroeder.

SB Nation has us taking Jamaal Franklin.  Really?  With Adams, Plumlee, Olynyk, Larkin, Withey still on available on their board?  WTF are they smoking?

Anyway, like I said, as of this moment with the turmoil that's going on none of these picks can be taken as anything more than entertainment.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:54 pm

bobheckler wrote:As of 6/20, just 7 days from the draft, here' what the mock drafts are saying.

This is, of course, a complete joke since how can someone predict who we might take when we don't know if we'll have KG or not, much less anybody else, but what-the-hell.

SB Nation has us taking Jamaal Franklin.  Really?  With Adams, Plumlee, Olynyk, Larkin, Withey still on available on their board?  WTF are they smoking?

Anyway, like I said, as of this moment with the turmoil that's going on none of these picks can be taken as anything more than entertainment.

bob

Bob - You call that entertainment??

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:56 pm

steve3344 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:As of 6/20, just 7 days from the draft, here' what the mock drafts are saying.

bob

Bob - You call that entertainment??

Steve,

That's why you're in the biz and I'm not.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:13 pm

I want to see then get Dieng. If you can't rebound you can't win in this league.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down