Boston Celtics Prepare Offer For Josh Smith

+4
dboss
sinus007
bobheckler
k_j_88
8 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics Prepare Offer For Josh Smith Empty Boston Celtics Prepare Offer For Josh Smith

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:59 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-boston-celtics-offer-ready-josh-smith-181100801.html

Report: Boston Celtics Have an Offer Ready for Josh Smith
Josh Smith in Boston?
Boston Celtics Prepare Offer For Josh Smith Ycn_icon

By Mark Evans | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 46 minutes ago

COMMENTARY | Recently, much has been made about the future of Paul Pierce with the Boston Celtics. With Doc Rivers leaving for the Los Angeles Clippers, it appears that Danny Ainge is finally ready to blow up the core of this team and start fresh. Part of this process may be buying out or trading Pierce, who is scheduled to make more than $15 million next season. 

Up to this point, it has been unclear what the Celtics would plan to do with the hole that Pierce would leave. It's reasonable to believe that they would try to replace him with a younger player that could grow a bit with their core of Rajon RondoAvery Bradley, Jeff Green, and Jared Sullinger.

According to a report, that player could potentially be Josh Smith. The report states that if the Celtics can find a trade partner for Paul Pierce, they have a proposal ready that would bring Josh Smith to town in a sign-and-trade, who would fill the trade exception that would be gained through a Pierce trade.

As far as entertainment purposes go, this would be unbelievable for Celtics fans. Can you imagine Josh Smith and Rajon Rondo on the same floor? The potential effectiveness of the combination is more than questionable, but it sure would be fun to watch. One would imagine that Rondo, Bradley, Green, and Smith could form a pretty entertaining fast break group, as all four are very athletic. That team would certainly push the pace, something the Celtics haven't done in a while. With Green and Smith, Rondo would finally have some legitimate options in transition. 

With that being said, bringing Josh Smith to town probably wouldn't lead to very many wins. And the team probably wouldn't be very good.

Smith has long been a player of potential. Everyone knows that he has all of the physical tools to be great; speed, strength, height, length, etc. He brings a great deal of versatility, but also brings an unbelievably frustrating style of play. While he fills out the stat sheet with the best of them, his basketball IQ is extremely low for a player of his talent. He consistently makes the wrong play, which would make it tough for the Celtics to become serious contenders again.

At 27, Smith is still young. However, after 8 years in the league, it's hard to believe that his game will change much. He probably is what he is at this point, which is a highlight reel and a great fantasy basketball player. If you're trying to groom a young group that can compete for a title, he's probably not your guy. Just ask the Atlanta Hawks.

Nothing is set in stone yet, as there is no guarantee that Pierce will be traded. He could be bought out by Danny Ainge, or he could even return to the Celtics for yet another season. If he is traded, however, this is definitely an interesting possibility. 

Not a good one for the Boston Celtics, but an interesting one. 

Mark lives in the Boston area and has been covering the Celtics for 3 years. He has been featured onFox Sports Yardbarker, Fox Sports , and Sports Illustrated "Hot Clicks", and has been published on Celtics 24/7, Bleacher Report, and Sports-Kings.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics Prepare Offer For Josh Smith Empty Re: Boston Celtics Prepare Offer For Josh Smith

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:03 pm

I don't agree with Evans assessment of Smith not being a good addition to the team. I think he has a lot to offer and this team would immediately have another formidable piece.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics Prepare Offer For Josh Smith Empty Re: Boston Celtics Prepare Offer For Josh Smith

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Josh Smith Player Profile: http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2411/josh-smith

2012-13 Season Avgs

-7.2/15.6 FGM-A; 46.5% FG
-.8/2.6 3PFGM-A; 30.3% 3PFG
-8.4 RPG
-4.2 APG
-17.5 PPG
-1.8 BLKS
-1.2 STL

Solid production I'd say. Not great from 3PT but he didn't take many per game.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:28 pm

His numbers, /36mpg, doesn't look much better than what Pierce did this past year.  The big difference, of course, is that Smith is only 27 and could be doing this for many years to come.  Pierce is almost gone, one way or another.  I'm assuming that it's Pierce that's going, otherwise it'll be multiple players.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithjo03.html

Another 3/4 tweener.  How about a legit, bigass BIG, Danny?

What scares me more than anything about this prospect is the state of the locker room.  Rondo and his Oak Hill Academy roommate Smith?  Kee-rist, we're talking middle-school behavior on Causeway Street.  Think Rondo has trouble controlling his behavior now?  Wait until he has a facilitator.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:31 pm

I agree that we certainly need a center. But we will need a power forward, too.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:09 pm

K_J,
Thanks for the article.
I was surprised how openly the author rates Smith's basketball IQ - "extremely low".
I haven't watched him play much so can't say if it's true or not but if it is, I'd rather have another JS - Sully, especially considering the difference in their salaries.
Speaking about Sully. I wonder if Danny should take a risk and instead of going for a high-fly 4 go for a middle-of-the-road 5?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:32 pm

AK,

I have watched him a fair amount of times. He's a good player, he just needs the right system and the right PG. Atlanta has never had a great team during his time there, in part because management made some bad draft decisions (taking Marvin Williams over Chris Paul for one). Him and Rondo are friends so perhaps Rondo could have an influence on Smith for the better.

Last edited by k_j_88 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:09 pm

What I like about Smith is that he is good rebounder and runs the court very well.

I think much would depend on who the new coach is and how he meshes with his teammate. If Kg comes back I would do it.. If not we do not have the that old school vet to influence by example.

I do think that Josh needs a change and this may be a good fit.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Maybe Smith will benefit by playing someplace new, but up to now, I've found him to be a good representation of the Hawks -- talented but underachieving and disappointing.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:52 pm

Rumor: If Paul Pierce goes, Josh Smith might take his place
By wjsy on Jun 25 2013, 1:36p 259

With June 30th fast approaching, a decision on Paul Pierce's future and the possible end of his 15-year career as a Celtic is on the horizon. Sean Deveney of Sporting News is reporting that his replacement might be just a trade exception away.

There are several trade rumors swirling around Paul Pierce right now with most of them involving draft picks. That seems like a pittance for a 10-time All Star and former Finals MVP, but the biggest asset coming out of those deals aren't the picks, but the TPE that it would create. A traded player exception has a shelf life of one year, but it looks like Danny might be is looking to spend it right away:

NBA Draft Source: Celtics have their Josh Smith sign-and-trade offer read

Smith has long been connected to Boston in trade rumors, including one that would have sent Pierce to Atlanta in February. His link to the current Celtics dates back to high school, when he played with point guard Rajon Rondo at Oak Hill.

In order to land Smith, though, the Celtics need to pull off a deal for Pierce that will net them a trade exception. Because teams over the salary cap can't take on salary without sending back matching salaries, Boston's options are limited to teams under the cap. That's why two teams that have been connected to a Pierce deal have been Cleveland and Milwaukee.

Love him or hate him, Josh Smith is a player. Entering the prime of his career at 27, he averaged almost 18/8/4 in the final year of his contract in Atlanta. Last summer, he joined the Celtics in LA for pre-season workouts, due mainly to his friendship with Rajon Rondo. He's a pogo stick in a bull's body, but the biggest question is whether or not he's a franchise player. His shot selection leaves a little to be desired, but paired with a pass-first PG, that could definitely change in Boston. If KG decides to close out his career in green, he could do wonders tutoring Smoove in the Celtic way.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Let's remember who the puppetmaster is.

If Danny gets Smith and then gets a better offer for him, he's gone.

And Smith is a better trading chip, now and in the future, than anybody we're likely to give uo to get him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:30 am

Josh Smith would be a great pick up, he offers loads of versatility as he can play 2 positions reasonably well and at an all star level on his really good nights. If he was moved for Paul Pierce, thats a deal we gotta do....and I love Paul Pierce!! Say we had Rondo AB Green JSmith and KG starting, that works. Now lets say we rest JSmith with Sully, then later we can rest AB, put Green at the 2, get JSmith back in there, hows Rondo Green JSmith at the 3 with Sully at PF and KG. We could still have T Will and possibly Melo in the mix off the bench with Sully, Jet could still be around as our sniper....I have a feeling a frontline with Smith Sully and KG can board and do alot of good things. I think Smith as a 3 with Green as a 2 could really run and jell together and give opposing teams nightmares with their size and athleticism....take that Wade, think Rondo would enjoy this? AB can still get better and has blazing speed himself, his defense will only improve, in time his jumper is gonna get better and better. I still haven't given up on Melo and we have the 16th pick....anything is possible!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 am

I'm with you Cow...like your thinking on this one. Pull those strings Danny!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:25 am

You never know worse, Hawks also have 2 picks, they may want to pursue Dwight Howard and clear more room to sign him, plus with those 2 picks, could get some good value and may need a veteran all star presence like Pierce....Pierce, Horford and Howard on the frontline could work well for Atlanta too and they already have a decent young point.

If we can land Josh Smith with his athleticism and versatility added to Rondo, AB, Green and Sully with KG still providing his fiery brand of leadership, we could contend right away. Smith is a strong rebounder and defender, can run and attack rim like crazy, he could fit in great with our core very easily.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:48 am

Ian Thomsen of Sports Illustrated thinks trading for Josh Smith is a "very, very bad idea".

"If [Rajon] Rondo is here I think it's a very, very, very, very, very bad idea," Thomsen said. "I don't think it's a good idea at all. We all know [former Celtics coach Doc Rivers] had his hand full trying to convert Rondo into a leader. It never really happened and it took all his energy to do it. Now that Doc leave you're gonna hand a new coach Rondo empowered by his best friend in the league and they be your two best players? I just think it's a terrible formula."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:07 am

Who the hell is Ian Thomsen, and how does he have greater wisdom than Danny Ainge on these matters?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:13 am

worcester wrote:Who the hell is Ian Thomsen, and how does he have greater wisdom than Danny Ainge on these matters?

Worcester,
I believe IT is on the same level as AWoj. At least it was my impression from his articles and interviews.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:18 am

I still trust Danny's judgment more than anyone's.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down