Embracing Change, Boston Celtics Hire 23-Year-Old Analytics Phenom

2 posters

Go down

Embracing Change, Boston Celtics Hire 23-Year-Old Analytics Phenom Empty Embracing Change, Boston Celtics Hire 23-Year-Old Analytics Phenom

Post by gyso Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:49 am

Zach Buckley at bleacherreport.com wrote:New Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens found an unlikely formula for success during his days manning the sidelines at Butler University.

Under his watch, the Bulldogs rattled off a 166-49 record, giving Stevens the best six-year start to a coaching career in NCAA Division I history. Butler made a surprising run to the 2010 title game, then found its way back to the Big Dance a year later.

The analytically inclined Stevens clearly saw something the rest of the college hoops world could not. Ainge hopes he's discovered the ace up Stevens' sleeve:

Stevens was one of the hottest names in the college ranks, but it's unclear just how much that means for the 36-year-old's transition to the pro game. He'll have to manage personalities like never before, giving orders and demanding effort from players making multiples of his coaching salary.

In an effort to ease the long process ahead, Stevens will pore over all of the numbers now at his disposal looking for whatever mathematical edge he can find. Cannon's presence will, if nothing else, give him another set of eyes to examine the data and another mind to draw out the meaning behind those numbers.

Boston's a team in transition with Doc Rivers settled in his new West Coast home and former Celtics mainstays Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett now draped in the black-and-white threads of the Brooklyn Nets.

With Stevens at the helm and Cannon at his side, faces aren't the only things changing in one of the league's most storied franchises.

Tweet:

Baxter Holmes @BaxterHolmes wrote:Drew Cannon, Brad Stevens's analytics guru at Butler, tells the Globe that he'll be joining the Celtics coaching staff.

I read that Drew Cannon has been seen hanging around in Orlando for the summer league.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Embracing Change, Boston Celtics Hire 23-Year-Old Analytics Phenom Empty Re: Embracing Change, Boston Celtics Hire 23-Year-Old Analytics Phenom

Post by dboss Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:19 am

Gyso

I thought this might happen.

I wonder if the analysis will show that, for example, that playing Bass at center is not the best use of a player's abilities, or that Jeff Green is not a PF.

stevens comes across as a coach that will figure out a way to put his players in positions that they can be productive in.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down