gyso
k_j_88
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

A rose is a rose is a rose Empty A rose is a rose is a rose

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:14 am

The NBA approved the name changes, effective 2014-2015 of

1. The New Orleans Hornets to the New Orleans Pelicans.
2. The Charlotte Bobcats to the Charlotte Hornets.

I predict these changes alone will get them deep into the 2nd round of the playoffs...

The things people waste their time worrying about...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

A rose is a rose is a rose Empty Re: A rose is a rose is a rose

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:18 am

Hornets was the original name in Charlotte back when they had gotten their expansion team, so I don't necessarily have a problem with that one.

I'm sure NOLA could've picked a better name, though.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:44 am

The Hornets name has historical significance and it is not just a random team name.

Origins

Charlotte was incorporated in 1768 and named for Princess Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who would become George III’s queen. Since the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, one of the many anti-British resolutions written in Colonial America, was composed here, the town was targeted by the British government during the Revolutionary War. In 1780, British military officer Lord Cornwallis received such hostile treatment when he occupied the city that he dubbed Charlotte “a hornet’s nest of rebellion.” The city later proudly adopted the nickname for sports teams in baseball, football and, finally, basketball.

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/nba/charlotte-s-embrace-of-a-revolutionary-war-nickname-1.146329

gyso

Last edited by gyso on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 am

yeah the ummm pelicans...

I don't think that new Orleans was going to go with a name like Hurricanes either though.

jazz woulda been nice.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:19 am

Matty wrote:yeah the ummm pelicans...

I don't think that new Orleans was going to go with a name like Hurricanes either though.

jazz woulda been nice.

I would've been ok with the New Orleans Lagniappes too. Not much punch to it, but it does convey the spirit of the town. Better than "The New Orleans Beignets".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagniappe

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:48 pm

The problem with teams moving and taking the old team's names with them is that once they land in the new town, there is no connection between the new town and the old name.

Los Angeles Lakers
Utah Jazz
Memphis Grizzlies
New Orleans Hornets

The Seattle Supersonics moved and got a new name, OKC Thunder.  That makes sense.  Leaving Seattle without taking the name was part of the negotiation in that case, but IMO, it should have/could have been considered in the past as well.

This is just some examples in the NBA.  I am sure there are some equally ridiculous team names in the other sports as well.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshsnider Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:17 am

Agree 100 percent with gyso here. And it is nice to know that Hornets has a historical significance.
Why those Mormons won't give up the name Jazz, is beyond me Smile
but New Orleans could have used ragtime, or zydeco, bayou, Noodlers. Pelicans is pretty lame to me.

Joshsnider

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:47 am

Joshsnider wrote:Agree 100 percent with gyso here. And it is nice to know that Hornets has a historical significance.
Why those Mormons won't give up the name Jazz, is beyond me Smile
but New Orleans could have used ragtime, or zydeco, bayou, Noodlers. Pelicans is pretty lame to me.

Josh,

The Pelican is the state bird of La. So, it is relevant. If they ever move the team to Kansas, then you and gyso are dead on.

For what it's worth, I'd have preferred the New Orleans Ragin' Cajuns (probably diluted to just the Cajuns out of political correctness).

bob
P.S. Welcome back. So far I've enjoyed reading your posts, even if I haven't responded to any before this.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:35 pm

If the New Orleans team can maneuver the way pelicans do, they could become contenders. Some time, watch a pelican glide just a foot over water for at least a hundred yards without flapping its wings once. On the other hand, when pelican's dive for fish, the crash into the water involves wings and legs all over the place. So I'm assuming this will be a "grind it out" team.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Gyso,

That may be true with the Thunder, but then you can't claim/fold in all those 5 Minneapolis titles into your new city like, well...

Apologizing in advance,

David
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down