A legacy of greatness - BILL RUSSELL

+3
k_j_88
Sam
7 posters

Go down

A legacy of greatness - BILL RUSSELL Empty A legacy of greatness - BILL RUSSELL

Post by 112288 Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:38 am

The Celtics' plan to erect a Bill Russell statue ensures that a man who not only changed basketball, but also stood tall for what he believed, will finally have a public tribute like other legendary Boston sports stars. This documentary takes an in-depth look at his life, legacy and the issue of how to recognize him.

WATCH VIDEO - http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/specials/bill_russell_documentary_video/

A legacy of greatness

The legacy of Bill Russell, athlete, is easy to define: He is the quintessential winner in the history of American team sports.
During his 13 seasons as the center of the Boston Celtics, he led the way to 11 championships, including eight straight and nine in his first 10 seasons.

And it wasn't just that he did it, but how. Russell dominated not by scoring bundles of points like his rival Wilt Chamberlain, but by mastering the sport's less glamourous tasks. He was a shot-blocking intimidator, the fulcrum of the Celtics' defense, and a rebounder so extraordinary that he averaged 22.5 per game in his career.

But his story is full of compelling chapters that might trivialize his feats in basketball were they not so staggering. Russell marched with Martin Luther King Jr., spoke out about civil rights in racially charged Boston, and was recently bestowed with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

The legacy of Bill Russell, the man, is one of dignity. Sometimes quiet, often outspoken, and forever worth honoring.

Back to top Go down

A legacy of greatness - BILL RUSSELL Empty Re: A legacy of greatness - BILL RUSSELL

Post by Sam Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:57 pm

I expect only one person would agree with my opinion that the statue should really incorporate Cooz, Sam, Satch, Rams, K.C., Heinsohn, Havlicek and Sharman, as well as Russ (just as the Red Sox statue of Ted Williams includes Bobby Doerr, Dominic DiMaggio and Johnny Pesky too). And that one person who would agree with me is named William Felton Russell. Russ was all about the team.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

A legacy of greatness - BILL RUSSELL Empty Re: A legacy of greatness - BILL RUSSELL

Post by 112288 Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:27 pm

That was Bill!

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Sam,

I agree with that idea.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:26 pm

You would probably havee to add more players to the mix if the intentions were to simply honor his team.

But from my way of thinking this tribute honors the man as much as it recognizes his impact on the Celtics and therefore a tribute to him alone seems appropriate.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:58 pm

No one stands pansy where near the top when greatness is discussed, bill Russell was Obote all jHr changed the game of basketball, but he also changed the way a lot of people looked and acted towards others. He was not afraid to stand tall, yet threat teamates just as he expected to be treated. I have always felt he was the greatest basketball player, never mind of his time, but of all time. My problem with making lists of great players is the younger generation doesn't,t realize how truly great some of the older players were. NO OFFENSE TO ALL OF YOU! Sam....do toy get what I am saying?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:49 am

Yes, I do understand, Rosalie. Older players tend to receive short shrift as far as younger fans are concerned because older players should be judged according to the time periods in which they played, and younger fans don't have the advantage of knowing all that much about those years. The few available films of the old days tend to involve highlights that lack the context of day-to-day play. That's one reason the full range of Bob Cousy's abilities is sometimes short-changed by younger fans because he became more conservative in the big games on which old highlight films are most typically based. The day-to-day strategic genius of his game, in particular, is difficult-to-impossible to appreciate fully from highlight films. And the same is true of Russ.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:53 am

Dboss,

Technically, I suppose every single player with who was ever on a Russell Celtics team should be included in such a statue.  But, just as the Red Sox did with respect to Ted Williams, I tried to focus on those Celtics who were great impact players over considerable time with Russ.  It could be argued that Larry Siegfried should be included.  He played seven years with Russ, compared with five years for Bill Sharman.  But Larry was more of a complementary player who made an impact for only five of those seven seasons.  I'd like to include Bailey Howell, but he played with Russ for only three seasons.  I believe that the main core of the Celtics Tyranny consisted of Russ, Cooz, Sam, Satch, Rams, K.C., Heinsohn, Havlicek and Sharman.

Here's a trivia question for you. I know the answer has been mentioned on this forum in the distant past, but maybe some of the newer-comers might have missed it. Who is the only player in NBA history to win a championship ring during each of his first six years in the league? Obviously, researching the answer is no fair.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:39 am

gotta be Sam Jones

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Cow,

I'm not exactly sure WHAT has "gotta be Sam Jones." But, whatever it is, I'm pretty sure I agree 100%. LOL.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Sam and Cow

I believe Sam Jones first year was 1957-58, and that was the year that the Hawks were the champs. KC Jones however got a championship ring in his first 8 years starting in his rookie season in 1958-59.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:39 pm

I will agree with whoever said KC Jones. If not for his injury in his rookie season, Russ would have the same as Sam
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Cow, now I know what you meant.  Not Sam, but either Satch or K.C. Jones would be a correct answer.  And, as Swish says, K.C. won rings in his first eight years with Celtics.  Eight straight championships to begin a nine—season career.  Not too shabby.  Satch is usually the one people don't think about as far as championship seasons to start a career.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down