Boston Celtics: Top 5 Reasons They'll Reclaim the Atlantic Conference

+4
mrkleen09
tjmakz
dboss
k_j_88
8 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics: Top 5 Reasons They'll Reclaim the Atlantic Conference Empty Boston Celtics: Top 5 Reasons They'll Reclaim the Atlantic Conference

Post by k_j_88 Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Boston Celtics: Top 5 Reasons They'll Reclaim the Atlantic Conference
Yahoo! Contributor Network
By Craig Pisani | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 2 hours 27 minutes ago

COMMENTARY |

The Boston Celtics' tremendously disappointing 2012-13 campaign can be attributed to key injuries, poor chemistry, and despicable bench play. A team rich in history with 17 championship banners hanging from the rafters should provide more than a one-and-done playoff run with such a high payroll.

Ending the Atlantic Conference title winning streak after five years hurt to watch, but after an offseason of "rebuilding," rumors of "tanking," and predictions of not making the playoffs, I disagree with the norm. I say they surprise everyone and reclaim the division.

Here's why:

5. Nothing to lose
The world is against you, hoping that trading away your heart and soul will crush what's left of the team and send you off to years of frustrating failure. Celtic pride can't be underestimated; there will be no dumping in order to win the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes. Forward Jared Sullinger sums it up best: "When you have Celtics pride, you really don't have time to rebuild." So they'll go out there for 82 games, play pressure-free basketball, develop chemistry, and polish skills with no expectations whatsoever -- just a giant chip on their shoulders.

On the other hand, the Brooklyn Nets have a small window to seal the deal. The time is now, and the future has been mortgaged. And don't think for one second that these young Celtics will lie down to legends Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett when they come to town. That's the day old friends become enemies. On paper, the Nets have a nice squad, but rookie head coach Jason Kidd will have his hands full adjusting to life on the other side.

4. Carmelo's complicated
Have you ever gone to play ball at the schoolyard, and you're on a team with a guy who never passes? He just shoots and shoots, never passing to anyone at all. He can be triple-teamed in the paint, make eye contact with you, see you're wide open, and still take the bad shot. It's not fun to play with that guy.

That's how I feel about Carmelo Anthony. Some of the New York Knicks' veteran leaders from last season are gone, and I foresee this group imploding before the beginning of March. If you compare Anthony's game to the days when prolific scorers like Allen Iverson and Stephon Marbury ruled the NBA, their playoff success was limited. Although Iverson did come close once, neither won a championship, and Marbury only played in 32 career playoff games (14 as a Celtic sub.)

3. He's baaaaack!
Remember the All-Star point guard who gutted out a triple-double performance in double overtime vs. the Atlanta Hawks on a torn ACL? Well, he's back. Rajon Rondo -- the fiery competitor and potential next team captain -- aims to be in the starting lineup come opening night. His play-making ability and basketball IQ couldn't be compensated for last season, especially with no backup PG on the roster and Danny Ainge not picking one up after Rondo went down. That problem has since been corrected with the signing of impressive rookie free agent Phil Pressey.

Rondo's edgy personality, often mistaken for poor attitude, makes him an X-factor. When you put a top five point guard back in the lineup that cares about winning the way he does, anything can happen. He leads by example. Unfortunately, it's true that standing up for a teammate cost him his double-digit assist streak, but if that makes him a headcase then what about the time Larry Bird had his hands around Dr. J's throat? These icons nearly killed each other, and we don't regard them as such.

2. New sheriff in town
Doc's gone. He won a ring in Boston and will always hold a special place in my heart and Celtic history. However, moving forward, I applaud the hiring of Brad Stevens, 36, which allows young to coach the young. With no NBA experience in any capacity, he just may relate to players much better than critics think because of his age and the respectable resume he carries.
With a 166-49 career record at Butler University, Stevens brings a winning culture with him. He set a school record with 30 wins in his first season, taking them to the second round of the tournament. His second season, sans senior players, he still won 26 games. In a six-year span, he set numerous school records and guided a relatively unknown program to back-to-back NCAA title game appearances. Now he will do what everyone thinks he can't and guide this young Boston team to an Atlantic Conference title. All he knows is how to win, and he's got a lot to prove in his new environment.

1. Emergence of Jeff Green
Filling Truth's shoes won't be easy, but small forward Jeff Green is ready to explode. With the recovery from his aortic aneurysm operation fully behind him, Green can pick up where he left off last season -- showing signs of the player that was drafted fifth overall out of Georgetown in 2007. The 43-point performance vs. the Miami Heat and buzzer-beaters vs. the Cleveland Cavaliers and Indiana Pacers prove he can be the go-to guy at the end of the game. He's clutch, which is something that cannot be taught. Also, in the postseason series vs. the Knicks, he stepped up, averaging 43 minutes and 20.3 PPG, up from 27.8 and 12.8 during the regular season.

His athletic ability impresses me the most. Many times I witnessed him aggressively take it to the rim, flying higher than anyone on the court to throw it down for a jam. He brings to the table a respectable perimeter game, plays solid defense, and the physical stature to compete in the post. Starting lineup minutes for a full year playing alongside Rondo in an aggressive running offense will allow Green to blossom -- finally silencing critics who booed the Kendrick Perkins swap. I anticipate a huge first half, complete with a trip to New Orleans for the All-Star game.
--

My Take:

1)This was quite a refreshing read in contrary to the doomsday prognostications I've been seeing the past few weeks. I think that the infusion of new energy and youth into this team will pay dividends. If Danny can make solid moves while holding onto the core of this team, I think the path to contention is not very far off.

2) BKN: They don't exactly have a large window in regards to some of the older players on their roster, but they'll likely face the burden of the dreaded "repeater tax" which, in contrast to the luxury tax, is $2.50 per dollar spent over the cap. Not only that, but we don't know what kind of coach Kidd will be. We also don't know if their talented players will fit together (not enough basketballs to go around perhaps?) And how will D. Williams respond to the influx of additional talent? Will he still try to average 20+ ppg or will he become a passer?

3) NYK: Maybe it's more than just Carmelo for the Knicks; but their team in general. Amare is way overpaid. They don't have an elite PG. Their inside game pales in comparison to Indiana, which means certain death for their playoff aspirations.

4) Jeff Green: I've seen enough from JG to see he is ready to take a more prominent role on this team. He just is one notch away from being elite.

5) Brad Stevens: He may face some difficulties early on adjusting to coaching grown men that make more than he does, but I think he'll find a way to connect with his players.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics: Top 5 Reasons They'll Reclaim the Atlantic Conference Empty Re: Boston Celtics: Top 5 Reasons They'll Reclaim the Atlantic Conference

Post by dboss Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:56 am

Kj

The Celtics are going to surprise a lot of people.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics: Top 5 Reasons They'll Reclaim the Atlantic Conference Empty Re: Boston Celtics: Top 5 Reasons They'll Reclaim the Atlantic Conference

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:40 am

To me, this story, is such an over the top, best case scenario.
I don't see any way that Boston can finish higher than third place in the division.
I don't expect that Boston will finish within 10-15 games of Brooklyn.
Brooklyn has so much more talent than Boston has.

Who is Boston's center?
Are any of their SG's going to stand out?
Are they going to be a better rebounding team?
Is a 36 year old coach going to be able to handle Rondo?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:44 am

For once I agree with TJ.

Celtics will be like this year's Red Sox. They are not expected to go anywhere and will be learning along the way.

If things come together, you may find some combinations that show promise for the future (Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger and Olynyck for example) - and others that stamp their ticket out of town. It will be fun and for the first time in a while, I wont be on the edge of my seat for 82 games.

But to expect them to seriously contend - is silly.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:11 am

TJ,

Celtics fans have to be forgiven for exercising their right to be optimistic.  Arguably more than fans of any other NBA team, we've grown up with so many reasons to thumb our collective noses, in retrospect, at the alleged "pundits."

But what I really believe is short-sighted is basing negative portents for this team on what the roster consists of now and without regard to the fact that a team is not a bunch of 15 individuals.

• Who knows what kind of leader and go-to-guy Jeff Green could become once given the reins to do wo?

• Who knows what kind of chemistry Rondo and Lee might develop given a full season to focus on their respective and collective strengths?

• Who knows that kind of rebounding improvement could be generated by a PF corps of Humphries, Bass, Olynyk and a full season of Sullinger under the tutelage of the right coach?

• Who knows what kind of deal Danny might pull off to get a young veteran center?  (Possibly a mid-season trade for Humphries' expiring contract?  If all four PFs (plus a fifth in Jeff Green) are still with the Celtics at the end of the 2013-14 season, I'll be shocked.)

• Who knows what kind of offense could be mounted by a younger (average age 25.5 this season versus age 27.4 last season), more athletic team with their PG hopefully back full-time?  I'm very excited about the possibilities that a more motion-oriented offense, a flock of fleet wings, and some defensive disrupters could combine to generate.

• Who knows what the "chemistry curve" of this team will be like?  In two of the last three seasons, so many alleged "pundits" looked like idiots by totally underestimating the effect of late-season chemistry development on the Celtics' eventual fortunes.  And last season doesn't count because the Celtics didn't have a PG late in the season; so the same idiots kept issuing the same triteness until they finally made a one-inch putt.  Woooooo!

• Who knows what my hope of a Bradley-Pressey pressing backcourt defense might produce on an increasing basis as the season wears on?

• Who knows what kind of leader (or even coach on the floor) Rondo could become as his advancing years are complemented by advancing responsibilities?

This is just a miniscule sampling of possibilities that are current unknowns, of which the biggest is what surprises Danny might pull off before and/or during the season.

It appears to me that this article is more hopeful than predictive—perhaps because the author realizes that predicting the fortunes of the Celtics during a season with so many unknowns is foolhardy.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:53 am

At the risk of sounding overly solicitous, which would be a first, I find that I'm agreeing with everybody here.

I think TJ and MrKleen are probably right with their views and have taken an absolutely reasonable, pragmatic view of this year's roster and season-ending results.  Man, do I wish I could say that more often, "TJ and MrKleen are probably right with their views".  And then I woke up in a cold sweat and disoriented...

I also agree with  KJ and Sam.  We have a ton of potential, and some of it isn't just that.  Rondo IS a talent.  Jeff Green IS a talent.  Sully IS a talent.  Bradley IS a talent.  If Rondo is Captain Firebrand, is Sully The Calmer?  Is Green still a yoyo, or is he ready?  The weakness in their argument is, of course, all the 'ifs'.  We have too many unknowns to know what we have until we get them out on the court and watch to see how quickly (if, in fact, at all) they gel.  Game after game after game.

I still hold to the belief that, even though we are down to the 15 man roster limit, Trader Danny is not done.  If I am right then everybody might be even more right or even more wrong, depending upon what the 'even newer' roster looks like.

The article is an over-the-top-pie-in-the-sky-best-case scenario as TJ says.  Of such pap are fans of teams in transition sustained.  So what?  What's wrong with feeling good even if, in the back of your minds, you know it's not likely.  That's what makes for good horse races.  There's a reason why they're called Dark Horses or Long Shots.  That doesn't mean they don't win neither, it just means "don't expect it".  Remember the 1969 Miracle Mets?  The 2003-2004 Detroit Pistons?  The 2010 Giants?  What were the odds of them winning a championship before the season started?  

Less than 2 months left, less than 2 months, and we'll know so much more.  We'll see a more final roster (at least until the trade deadline approaches).  We'll see how well Rondo's recovery went and is he truly 'back'.  We'll see, not only if Sully recovers, but if he keeps the weight off (the rumors are he's lost 15-20#) and what that does for his game.  We'll see if KO's game translates to the NBA.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:46 pm

The writer of this article is being predictive in this statement: "Ending the Atlantic Conference title winning streak after five years hurt to watch, but after an offseason of "rebuilding," rumors of "tanking," and predictions of not making the playoffs, I disagree with the norm. I say they surprise everyone and reclaim the division."

There are many ifs on the positive end and the negative end.
Worst case scenario for the 2013-14 season would be the trading of Rondo and completing a full rebuild.
As Boston sits with their 15 man roster, I see them as a 30-45 win team.
I see Brooklyn as a 55+ win team.
If Green doesn't play like a star every night, I just don't see how they have enough offense to be a dangerous team.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:08 pm

I agree that Brooklyn will probably win the division this year. But you also have to look down the road and what shape each team will be in. Going forward, Boston has as good of a chance as any of being competitive 3-5 years down the road.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:55 pm

I woke up in a cold sweat this morning, feeling most disoriented. So I go online and find out I'm in agreement with Bob. Now what do I do?

tj and mr kleen are running with the majority but mr kleen: If the C's are like this year's Red Sox that puts them in first place, right? With the third best record in the NBA, right? Just like the Sox this year.

brooklyn will be competitive until PP and KG no longer lace 'em up.

Here are my top 5 why the C's reclaim the Atlantic:

1. DA: he will give Brad the players he needs to succeed.
2. BS: this new coach will break the mold of college coaches not making it in the NBA. His dedication to process will translate into #18, if not next June then soon.
3. RR: the best pg in the league returns with an even bigger chip on his shoulder and DOMINATES. Look for a much higher scoring average this year. he will even challenge the record for triple doubles but may not quite average one. 17/8/12
4. JG: He makes this team into a contender again and while people may not forget PP right away, he won't be truly missed by the end of the season.
5. Team Chemistry: Eventually this one rises to the top. When you combine #1-4 with the other players who take the court for the C's this season, we will see a team that far exceeds the expectations of the professional pundits and are own prognosticators. I see no reason why the Celtics won't compete for, and win, the NBA championship this coming season.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:02 pm

The best predictions I ever read appeared just prior to the start of last season:

Liberty Ballers' (Whatever That is) Staff Predictiions

Put away the knee lubricant aside for a second. When do you think Andrew Bynum plays his first game in a Sixers uniform?

Michael Levin: Can't put the knee lubricant aside, it's stapled to my body. If I could, I'd ballpark it at 11/24 against the Thunder. Everything I've been hearing on the record and off has worried me more and more. God help us.

Tanner Steidel: If by "put the knee lubricant aside for a second" you mean for me to put it aside my bed, then I'm 10 steps ahead of you. I'll say Drew is out for the first month or so. From what they taught me at Western Salisbury Elementary School, one month from opening night is December 1, meaning the first game he'd appear in is @Chicago that Saturday night.

Justin F.: There is zero chance of me putting away any type of lube. If you want a specific game, December 7 versus Boston at the Wells Fargo Center. The game is already scheduled to be televised. Player intros are going to be epic, you guys (ed. note: Hang in there, Karl).

Kami Mattioli: Mid-to-late November. I'm gonna go with the 22nd in Milwaukee.

Roy Burton: November 12. Not only is that the start of a five-game homestand, but it's exactly two weeks from now, and that should be plenty of time for Bynum to get through a few practices without pain. If Bynum isn't any closer to game action by then, his knee might be worse off than we think.
Brandon Lee: I have this weird feeling they'll want to debut him at a home game. So let's say 11/14 vs. Detroit. That might be too optimistic but it's really hard to know what to think with all of this uncertainty. At the very least I think he makes his debut in 2012 sometime.

Mike Baumann: I dunno, but Andrew Bynum's knees have their own page on the local CBS website, so I doubt this is the last we'll hear of it. Having to pick a date, I'd say he takes a couple more weeks and returns to limited action around Nov. 16, but you might as well use a dartboard to pick that one out.

Derek Bodner: This is a tough one. I don't think he'll be out too long initially, but I doubt this is the last we'll hear of it. Throwing a dart at the dart board, I think he'll play his first game November 12th at home against Milwaukee, will play less than 2 weeks, then will be on the shelf again. I think he'll be back "full time" mid-December.

Rich Hofmann: In looking for the most dramatic return possible, I was tempted to say 12/16 against some stupid team from California. But alas, I don’t think he’ll be out for that long. Let’s go with Sunday, 11/18 against Cleveland. Why? Because God hates Cleveland.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:13 pm

mulcogi,

I woke up in a cold sweat this morning, feeling most disoriented. So I go online and find out I'm in agreement with Bob. Now what do I do?

Lie down and wait until the feeling passes.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Mulcogi,

It's probably just gas.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:55 pm

I'm upbeat about the coming season. No matter what our eventual record, we'll be facing the future, not trying to recreate 2008. The most important banner is always the next one, and I'm ready for the shortest, honest route to it, no matter where that takes us next year. I think we'll be interesting, competitive, athletic. We have a lot of ifs, but time is on our side with a younger core. If Rondo needs more time to heal, I'm fine with letting him sit early, work back into shape. Same with Sully. If four power forwards are too many, let's see who works the hardest, shows the most promise.
When I look at where we are, compared to how I'd feel with Doc and PP getting ready for camp, I know we're on the right path. I think Doc is over-rated as a game coach and mentor. PP is still a force, but waning and by moving on, makes room for Green. Trusting Danny to provide a center and a shooter or two, my only misgiving is losing KG. Despite his relatively few years in Boston, it's almost like losing Russell might have been IMO. But Russell went out on top and the Celtics lost the ability to do that about two years ago, so I can see why KG had to go, too.
When we play Brooklyn, the compliment we should pay him is to clobber them with a choking, clawing defense that says: we remember everything you taught us! (and we can do it all night long). Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down