+5
mulcogiseng
bobheckler
RosalieTCeltics
mrkleen09
k_j_88
9 posters

Go down

Drugs found on Suns' Beasley during arrest Empty Drugs found on Suns' Beasley during arrest

Post by k_j_88 Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Drugs found on Suns' Beasley during arrest

Posted Aug 6, 2013 3:17 PM - Updated Aug 6, 2013 4:02 PM

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Forward Michael Beasley, who vowed when he joined the Phoenix Suns a year ago that his marijuana problems were in the past, has been arrested by Scottsdale police after they found what they believe to be marijuana in his car.

Beasley was arrested early Tuesday following a traffic stop, according to Officer David Pubins.
An officer found three cigarettes suspected to contain marijuana in Beasley's Mercedes after smelling marijuana during the stop, Pubins said. Beasley was released after being cited for investigation of one felony count each of marijuana possession and possession of drug paraphernalia.

According to Pubins, court proceedings in the case will begin once results of lab tests are available.
Beasley, the No. 2 overall pick in the draft by Miami out of Kansas State in 2008, signed a three-year, $18 million contract with the Suns a year ago. But he went on to have a disappointing, inconsistent season, averaging career lows of 10.1 points and 3.8 rebounds in 75 games as Phoenix compiled the worst record in the Western Conference and second-worst in franchise history. He shot 40.5 percent from the field, also a career worst.

Marijuana issues followed Beasley to Arizona.

In June 2011, Beasley was ticketed for possessing marijuana and speeding in a Minneapolis suburb. He also has acknowledged that while playing for Miami, he twice violated the NBA's drug policy and entered a treatment facility in 2009.
At a news conference following his signing with the Suns, Beasley pointedly said he was through with marijuana.
"I realize 10 minutes of feeling good is not really worth putting my life and my career and my legacy in jeopardy," he said then, "so I'm confident to say that that part of my career, that part of my life, is over and won't be coming back."

--

My Take: Substance abuse is always an unfortunate situation. I hope he is able to overcome this adversity instead of throwing his career away as so many others have. There's many young men that wish to play in the NBA but most of them will never get to; so, whichever players that do make it ought to appreciate the privilege immensely.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Drugs found on Suns' Beasley during arrest Empty Re: Drugs found on Suns' Beasley during arrest

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 pm

A Felony Charge for 3 joints?

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Drugs found on Suns' Beasley during arrest Empty Re: Drugs found on Suns' Beasley during arrest

Post by k_j_88 Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:12 am

mrkleen09 wrote:A Felony Charge for 3 joints?

I suppose they have stringent drug laws in AZ.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:20 am

k_j_88 wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:A Felony Charge for 3 joints?

I suppose they have stringent drug laws in AZ.
Based on some of the zeros they have running that state, that is not surprising.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:52 am

This kid is a sad case, he has thrown away opportunities that many would die for. This is not a surprise to me. When he left Minnesota he just walked away from a mansion loaded with things. He is going to find out that all of this will disappear and he will have nothing left. I wish for his sake he would get his act together, talent or not, the NBA
Could care less.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Pretty different from their neighbor, California, where it seems like EVERYBODY has a medical marijuana card (not me, just for the record).

Hell, I have a friend, who has a medical marijuana card, who has THC attachment for his e-cigarette holder. So, instead of flavoring the nicotine with some floral scent, it's laced with THC.

Compare that to what's going on with Beasley. 3 joints? That is certainly only enough for personal recreational purposes, NOT enough for resale.

Michael Beasley has several problems. This is not the first time he has been caught like this, he was warned not to have it happen again, he promised he was done with marijuana, and then he gets busted again.

AZ has several problems too. It is starting to look like a state that isn't happy unless it's in the news, often for the wrong reasons. There's the immigration issue, which resulted in a lot of conventions being cancelled, and now their 1950's Back to the Future marijuana law.

I'm not a big fan of Beasley, in general. An underwhelming #2 draft pick, to be sure. I think he's an immature fool for not realizing how this behavior would wreck his good life. Having said that, Arizona's stuck in a temporal cul-de-sac. Change is the only permanency. They haven't figured that out yet.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:12 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:This kid is a sad case, he has thrown away opportunities that many would die for. This is not a surprise to me. When he left Minnesota he just walked away from a mansion loaded with things. He is going to find out that all of this will disappear and he will have nothing left. I wish for his sake he would get his act together, talent or not, the NBA
Could care less.

Rosalie
Rosalie,

Kansas State, Rosalie, not Minny.

Other than that, I agree with 100% of what you said.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:20 pm

We do not have draconian drug laws in Arizona. Medical marijuana is legal here. He was stopped in Maricopa county, one of the most racist areas in the USA and home to Amerika's sherrif, Joe Arpaio. They do things different there. and remember, marijuana is an herb, not a drug. No, I don't have a card either. I tried the stuff once back in Jan of '67. It's what they called an experiment. Now I can't run for President.

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to what racist connection Arizona and Boston sports have in common? lol
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:37 pm

BobH,

I don't get it. Beasley played for the Minnesota Timberwolves over several years.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:47 am

sam wrote:BobH,

I don't get it.  Beasley played for the Minnesota Timberwolves over several years.

Sam

sam,

You're right, I forgot about that. Perhaps that's because his career there was so memorable.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Mulocogiseng - Ok. How about the Boston Braves?

Az has a Native American population. Bostonians of the first half of the century - way before pc reared its ugly head - called their other baseball team the Braves.

Loved Warren Spahn.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Nice try Worcester but I was going for the last state to recognize the MLK holiday and the Sox being the last team to integrate with Pumpsie Greene Unfortunately, none of these answers is very kewl esp when compared to the great Warren Spahn
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Mulcogi,

1. New Hampshire and Arizona (in some order) were the last two states to recognize the MLK holiday.

2. A racially biased South Carolinian owner named Tom Yawkey is not symptomatic of the feelings of an entire state.

3. If Yogi Berra didn't say, "History was a long time ago," he should have.

4. Warren Spahn was a great, great pitcher and arguably an even greater womanizer (at least in his dotage).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Mulc,

If you didn't inhale, you are good to go. Don't let something like that destroy a promising career in politics when others have forged ahead!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:03 pm

I guess one thing is... if this nation's governments (state and federal) begin to end prohibition of marijuana, how would professional leagues deal with changes in laws?

I kind of think that leagues and teams would still be against the usage of marijuana even though in that hypothetical situation it would be legal in this country.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:13 am

k_j_88 wrote:I guess one thing is... if this nation's governments (state and  federal) begin to end prohibition of marijuana, how would professional leagues deal with changes in laws?

I kind of think that leagues and teams would still be against the usage of marijuana even though in that hypothetical situation it would be legal in this country.

KJ
Private businesses can make their own rules and I assume that is what the NBA would do. BUT, I do think there may be some flexibility in the off season. Guess it depends on how NBA players are paid. Are they paid for 52 weeks, or for only the weeks during the season.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:24 am

k_j_88 wrote:I guess one thing is... if this nation's governments (state and  federal) begin to end prohibition of marijuana, how would professional leagues deal with changes in laws?

KJ

KJ,

Steroids are legal but are banned in baseball.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:43 am

mrkleen09 wrote:

KJ
Private businesses can make their own rules and I assume that is what the NBA would do.  BUT, I do think there may be some flexibility in the off season.  Guess it depends on how NBA players are paid.  Are they paid for 52 weeks, or for only the weeks during the season.

Larry Coon, Salary Cap FAQ wrote:111. Are players paid on a regular schedule? Are there other ways to pay players beside regular paychecks?

The league's standard paydays are on the 1st and 15th of each month, beginning November 151. For contracts signed under the current CBA, the default is 24 paychecks paid over one calendar year. Teams and players whose salaries are over the minimum salary can also agree to a 12-check or 36-check schedule, paid over six months or 18 months, respectively. For contracts signed under the previous CBA the standard is 12 paychecks paid over six months, with teams and players also able to negotiate a schedule of 24 paychecks paid over 12 months.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q111

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:44 am

bobheckler wrote:

KJ,

Steroids are legal but are banned in baseball.  

bob

This is a little misleading Bob.  Some steroids and other banned supplements are legal outside of MLB.  

But Anabolic Steroids - the ones most often associated with weight lifters and Sosa / Canseco crowd are not only illegal, they are Class III substances and getting caught with them ONCE is mandatory 1 year in jail.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down