melo traded to Grizz Empty melo traded to Grizz

Post by dboss Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Interesting salary dump
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

melo traded to Grizz Empty Re: melo traded to Grizz

Post by Sam Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Basically, Danny traded a guaranteed contract for a non-guaranteed contract.  So, BobH, are you feeling a little less concern about the number of players on the roster?

Although it seems extremely likely that Greene will never play a minute for the Celtics this season, it is interesting (and perhaps a commentary on the tenuous nature of the Celtics team last season) that Greene's 2012-13 statistics per minute would have placed him as follows had he played with the 2012-13 Celtics: number 7 (tied with Rondo) in points scored, number 7 in rebounds, and number 5 in free throw percentage.  It's not a tiny sample either, as he played 777 minutes for the Griz last season.

I'm just sayin'.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:20 pm

The story I'm reading, unofficially, is Melo for Done Greene.

Greene's $1M contract is non-guaranteed. By waiving him we get under the salary cap.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Opens up roster spot and saves some money.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:30 pm

sam wrote:Basically, Danny traded a guaranteed contract for a non-guaranteed contract.  So, BobH, are you feeling a little less concern about the number of players on the roster?

Although it seems extremely likely that Greene will never play a minute for the Celtics this season, it is interesting (and perhaps a commentary on the tenuous nature of the Celtics team last season) that Greene's 2012-13 statistics per minute would have placed him as follows had he played with the 2012-13 Celtics: number 7 (tied with Rondo) in PPG, number 6 in rebounds, and number 5 in free throw percentage.  It's not a tiny sample either, as he played 777 minutes for the Griz last season.

I'm just sayin'.

Sam
sam,

It's a step in the right direction.

What will be interesting to watch, now, is: are the Celtics more interested in staying under the salary cap, which is where waiving Greene will put them or using the roster slot to pick up someone.

There are advantages both ways. Getting under the cap allows the Celtics to sign a player for the full MLE of $5M (maximum 4 year contract) next year. If you are paying luxury tax, you only get a mini-$3M MLE. The difference between 1 player at $5M (or multiple bench fillers for a total of $5M combined) is much better than $3M.

Freeing up a roster spot, of course, allows Danny flexibility to pick up another body here, there and at the trade deadline when dead wood is being trimmed.

Of course, Danny may still be working on a multi-player deal. I hope he still is, we're logjammed at 4, but now he has a little elbow room.

Melo was a bust, as far as I'm concerned. Nice kid and all, but he gained zero ground in 1 year in the D-league. He had a horrible summer league. Unloading him, when every GM in the league was watching in Orlando, is a mini-coup.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Your wish has come true, Melo is gone. Doc can say I told you so now!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi,
I just read the news about this trade. I suspect it's a precursor to much more significant deal(s).
I'm sorry but I can't understand how Celtics get under the cap if Fab's salary was $1.25M and Celtics were about $2M above the cap? Or my numbers are wrong?
Thanks.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Interesting move by the Grizz. Since Hasheem Thabeet left, I guess they miss having a big-man bust on their roster.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:00 pm

Sinus

I think you may be right about other moves.

The current roster is off balanced. We still need a veteran bu pg and a center.

Bass and Crawford may be moved or maybe Hump.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:16 pm

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greendo01.html

6'11", 225#.

Career 5.1rebounds/36mpg. 6'11", and he only averages 5.1rebs/36mpg. Rondo averages 5.6.

It's all over, folks. Nothing to see here, move along, move along...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Greene's contract is not guaranteed. His contract can be dropped later in the summer, which opens up a roster spot.

Now the Celtics can take in an extra player in a trade. That may be Danny's reason for giving up on Fab. It can't be the money, because Fab wasn't making all that much.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Geez. I guess the Fab Melo era is really over. All 36 minutes of it.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:19 pm

Let's visit Donte Green... a rebound every 7 minutes for a 6'11" 226 pound guy? Smells like Rasheed Wallace. And a 23.8% three-point shooter last season and 29% the year before? Yup, it is Rasheed. Unfortunately, it's the 38 year old Rasheed. And obviously, without the defensive smarts that was Sheed's only contribution at that age.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:38 pm

bobheckler wrote:
sam wrote:Basically, Danny traded a guaranteed contract for a non-guaranteed contract.  So, BobH, are you feeling a little less concern about the number of players on the roster?

Although it seems extremely likely that Greene will never play a minute for the Celtics this season, it is interesting (and perhaps a commentary on the tenuous nature of the Celtics team last season) that Greene's 2012-13 statistics per minute would have placed him as follows had he played with the 2012-13 Celtics: number 7 (tied with Rondo) in PPG, number 6 in rebounds, and number 5 in free throw percentage.  It's not a tiny sample either, as he played 777 minutes for the Griz last season.

I'm just sayin'.

Sam
sam,

What will be interesting to watch, now, is:  are the Celtics more interested in staying under the salary cap, which is where waiving Greene will put them or using the roster slot to pick up someone.

There are advantages both ways.  Getting under the cap allows the Celtics to sign a player for the full MLE of $5M (maximum 4 year contract) next year.  If you are paying luxury tax, you only get a mini-$3M MLE.  The difference between 1 player at $5M (or multiple bench fillers for a total of $5M combined) is much better than $3M.

Freeing up a roster spot, of course, allows Danny flexibility to pick up another body here, there and at the trade deadline when dead wood is being trimmed.

Of course, Danny may still be working on a multi-player deal.  I hope he still is, we're logjammed at 4, but now he has a little elbow room.

Melo was a bust, as far as I'm concerned.  Nice kid and all, but he gained zero ground in 1 year in the D-league.  He had a horrible summer league.  Unloading him, when every GM in the league was watching in Orlando, is a mini-coup.

bob

Bob,

I think you are mis-using the words salary cap.
Boston is far above the salary cap which is $58,679,000.
With the fully non-guaranteed salary of Donte Green, Boston is now slightly under the luxury tax threshold.
The luxury tax line is $71,748,000 and Boston's guaranteed salaries are $71,219,789.

I don't think this move was to get under the luxury tax line.
There is plenty of time to get under the line as the final team salaries are not calculated until the trade deadline.

It will be interesting to see how much of Fab's $1,311,240 salary will be paid by Boston.
Yes, it looks like he was a wasted draft pick.
Picks in the 20's usually don't work out to be significant contributors.
You can get lucky and find a gem but they are few and far between.

Last edited by tjmakz on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:41 pm

steve3344 wrote:Geez.  I guess the Fab Melo era is really over.  All 36 minutes of it.
That's quite a bit more than Darko's 5 minutes of court time last year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:12 pm

tjmakz wrote:
steve3344 wrote:Geez.  I guess the Fab Melo era is really over.  All 36 minutes of it.
That's quite a bit more than Darko's 5 minutes of court time last year.
Yes, and that was certainly a darko period in Celtics history.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Poor Fab, we hardly knew you!

Do they sit back until SePtember before trading anyone, or do they make their move and start the season with a settled roster? At least until February.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Bob,

From the beginning of the off-season, I haven't been able to get excited about possible free agents joining the Celtics.  Maybe some third-string filler, but no one who comes as an impact player without serious flaws or question marks.  In order to add an impact person, they have to trade away salary of significant proportions.  As gyso says, perhaps Melo's departure opens up the possibility of the Celtics trading away multiple bodies for one body; but I'd envision their wanting to move in the opposite direction and getting quality for quantity (if they can find a dumb enough trading partner). I'm simply ecstatic that I won't have to read any more optimism about Melo's prospects with the Celtics. With quality at the center position as their greatest single need, I believe their trading away a center tells us all we need to know about Melo. He could be entertaining, and I'm glad he didn't hurt himself when he fell out of that chair. But, my god, how did he ever lead such a charmed life in the Celtics organization as long as he did?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:27 pm

sam wrote:Bob,

From the beginning of the off-season, I haven't been able to get excited about possible free agents joining the Celtics.  Maybe some third-string filler, but no one who comes as an impact player without serious flaws or question marks.  In order to add an impact person, they have to trade away salary of significant proportions.  As gyso says, perhaps Melo's departure opens up the possibility of the Celtics trading away multiple bodies for one body; but I'd envision their wanting to move in the opposite direction and getting quality for quantity (if they can find a dumb enough trading partner).  I'm simply ecstatic that I won't have to read any more optimism about Melo's prospects with the Celtics.  With quality at the center position as their greatest single need, I believe their trading away a center tells us all we need to know about Melo.  He could be entertaining, and I'm glad he didn't hurt himself when he fell out of that chair.  But, my god, how did he ever lead such a charmed life in the Celtics organization as long as he did?  

Sam
Because he's 7', 255 pounds, athletic, can block shots and had people salivating at his (defensive) potential if he could only learn the fundamentals. Sadly, he couldn't. And they gave him every opportunity. Physical specimens like that who are cheap and are not top picks do not come along very often. But I don't need to tell you that.

Maybe volleyball is his game. Or wide receiver. All a QB would have to do is float it up there in the end zone...

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:29 am

Steve,

Yeah, it's certainly axiomatic that one needs a lot more than height and athletic ability to make it in the NBA.

I've been wondering how you're doing. Anything new and exciting on the horizon?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:17 am

Bring Shav back.

Out with the Fab. In with the Shav.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:48 am

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

I'm just sayin'.

Sam
sam,

What will be interesting to watch, now, is:  are the Celtics more interested in staying under the salary cap, which is where waiving Greene will put them or using the roster slot to pick up someone.

There are advantages both ways.  Getting under the cap allows the Celtics to sign a player for the full MLE of $5M (maximum 4 year contract) next year.  If you are paying luxury tax, you only get a mini-$3M MLE.  The difference between 1 player at $5M (or multiple bench fillers for a total of $5M combined) is much better than $3M.

Of course, Danny may still be working on a multi-player deal.  I hope he still is, we're logjammed at 4, but now he has a little elbow room.

Melo was a bust, as far as I'm concerned.  Nice kid and all, but he gained zero ground in 1 year in the D-league.  He had a horrible summer league.  Unloading him, when every GM in the league was watching in Orlando, is a mini-coup.

bob

Bob,

I think you are mis-using the words salary cap.
Boston is far above the salary cap which is $58,679,000.
With the fully non-guaranteed salary of Donte Green, Boston is now slightly under the luxury tax threshold.
The luxury tax line is $71,748,000 and Boston's guaranteed salaries are $71,219,789.

I don't think this move was to get under the luxury tax line.
There is plenty of time to get under the line as the final team salaries are not calculated until the trade deadline.

It will be interesting to see how much of Fab's $1,311,240 salary will be paid by Boston.
Yes, it looks like he was a wasted draft pick.
Picks in the 20's usually don't work out to be significant contributors.
You can get lucky and find a gem but they are few and far between.

TJ,

You're right. I did use the words 'salary cap' and the results of being over the cap, when I should have used 'luxury tax'.

So, Wyc will save money by being under the cap (assuming he's still under the cap on the last day of the season).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Well, we now know that Boston is paying Fab Melo's full 2013-14 salary plus an extra $350,000. I wonder if this $350,000 is to help cover payroll taxes on Fab's salary or just an inconvenience fee of having Fab on the team? I guess this will also help cover the cost of his uniforms and his per diem amount that all players receive.

Fab's salary next year is: $1,311,240

8/15/13 — Traded Fab Melo and $1.66 million in cash to the Memphis Grizzlies for Donte Greene.
Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/boston-celtics-team-salary#cCfuXtBaeiJkCYq3.99

Last edited by tjmakz on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:40 pm

tjmakz wrote:Well, we now know that Boston is paying Fab Melo's full 2013-14 salary plus and extra $350,000. I wonder if this $350,000 is to help cover payroll taxes on Fab's salary or just an inconvenience fee of having Fab on the team? I guess this will also help cover the cost of his uniforms and his per diem amount that all players receive.

Fab's salary next year is: $1,311,240

8/15/13 — Traded Fab Melo and $1.66 million in cash to the Memphis Grizzlies for Donte Greene.
Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/boston-celtics-team-salary#cCfuXtBaeiJkCYq3.99
I wonder how many rebounds he'll get for that $1.3 mil. I'm guessing less than 50.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:53 am

Steve,

Super great photos. Thanks for sending them.

It could be argued that you added one zero too many to Fab's projected rebound total. Of course, I wouldn't argue that since I don't make predictions.

Thanks again,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next