Go down

melo traded to Grizz - Page 2 Empty Re: melo traded to Grizz

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:05 pm

whos the idiot that wanted Fab Melo?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Danny's not perfect...but he's ahead % wise.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:49 am

I think Fab has been an easy target for a lot of snickering. 

But I do hope that he finds his way and learns how to play.

He is certainly a very athletic big man but could never seem to figure out where on the court he needed to be.  He was a shadow boxer with no one around him going for blocks when there was none, or moving to the right when his man was clearly going the opposite direction.  No mastery of angles, no timing...it was as if he was playing in a different time and space. 

So much of what he could not seem to understand is clearly instinctive.  But even a dog can be trained to roll over.....Perhaps the coaches were tired of telling him to "go there".

Did he get a real shot to develop?  Absolutely not.  But that was not the reason he was traded.  He became a trading chip because there are other fish to fry in this pan.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:43 am

My daughter's boyfriend lives in Syracuse and watched every one of Fab's college games. He said Fab's biggest handicap is lack of mental acuity. Some people just don't have the innate ability (like me and Melo) to develop basketball smarts.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:33 am

worcester wrote:My daughter's boyfriend lives in Syracuse and watched every one of Fab's college games. He said Fab's biggest handicap is lack of mental acuity. Some people just don't have the innate ability (like me and Melo) to develop basketball smarts.

worcester,

If your avatar is your new girlfriend, you're more than acute enough in other areas.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks Bob. Yes my new avatar is of Debbie, my new girlfriend. I had to make a choice between her and the gal who lived in New York City - Doo Wha Doo Wha Doo Wha Ditty - and Deb won out with her ability to turn this frog into a prince. She's 45, and I'm more serious about her than anyone else I've dated in the13 years since my divorce. I just started shopping for an engagement ring and am hoping she'll accept. I'll keep you posted.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:33 am

worcester wrote:Thanks Bob. Yes my new avatar is of Debbie, my new girlfriend. I had to make a choice between her and the gal who lived in New York City - Doo Wha Doo Wha Doo Wha Ditty - and Deb won out with her ability to turn this frog into a prince. She's 45, and I'm more serious about her than anyone else I've dated in the13 years since my divorce. I just started shopping for an engagement ring and am hoping she'll accept. I'll keep you posted.
worcester,

Wow.

You need to produce a "how to" manual. You really do.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:52 pm

W,

She's definitely acute one.

All the luck in the world in finding the right ring and putting it on Debbie's finger for keeps.

We're going to be in St. Pete Beach November 12-21, which should allow plenty of time to get together with good friends like you, Debbie, Pete and Donna.. Maybe we could get TJ to join us—as well as any other members on Florida's West Coast.

Please give Debbie my best.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:23 pm

sam wrote:W,

She's definitely acute one.

All the luck in the world in finding the right ring and putting it on Debbie's finger for keeps.

We're going to be in St. Pete Beach November 12-21, which should allow plenty of time to get together with good friends like you, Debbie, Pete and Donna..  Maybe we could get TJ to join us—as well as any other members on Florida's West Coast.

Please give Debbie my best.

Sam
Sam,

I would definitely meet you and the group when you come to FL.
I will give you my cell number through PM.
Let me know what works best for your schedule.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:32 pm

Sam, It would be great to see all of you. Really great.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:32 pm

dboss wrote:I think Fab has been an easy target for a lot of snickering. 

But I do hope that he finds his way and learns how to play.

He is certainly a very athletic big man but could never seem to figure out where on the court he needed to be.  He was a shadow boxer with no one around him going for blocks when there was none, or moving to the right when his man was clearly going the opposite direction.  No mastery of angles, no timing...it was as if he was playing in a different time and space. 

So much of what he could not seem to understand is clearly instinctive.  But even a dog can be trained to roll over.....Perhaps the coaches were tired of telling him to "go there".

Did he get a real shot to develop?  Absolutely not.  But that was not the reason he was traded.  He became a trading chip because there are other fish to fry in this pan.

dboss
dboss,

I have a pretty good sense of how good a player will be just by watching him one or two times.
I never got a good feeling about Fab Melo.
He is not a smooth runner for a guy in pretty good shape.
He definitely does not have good court awareness.
There are players in sports like Derek Jeter who almost always knew where to be.
Fab did not seem to have a sense of what might happen in the next 2 or 5 seconds on the court.
Larry Bird had tremendous court awareness of what would happen if a player passed the ball to a certain area or if a player shot the ball from a particular place on the court. That is why Bird's assist, steal and rebound numbers were off the charts for a player with average physical gifts.
Even another non-gifted athlete like Zach Randolph knows where the ball is going to land when a shot is attempted.
Fab was reactive, not proactive.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:54 pm

TJ,

I couldn't agree more with every word you wrote. Although there are exceptions, I've never completely understood the tendency of many people to think relative newcomers to the sport can somehow replicate the kinds of instincts that are bred into most players from an early age. I wonder whether all his soccer experiences have led him to assume it's okay to score only once or twice a game at best.

Looking forward to corresponding about a Florida meeting.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:53 am

Melo clears waivers. Now he's an unrestricted free agent. Two teams that might be willing to give him a shot, Chicago and Miami.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2