Omer Asik on His Pairing With Dwight Howard

Go down

Omer Asik on His Pairing With Dwight Howard Empty Omer Asik on His Pairing With Dwight Howard

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:09 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/rockets/2013/09/27/omer-asik-dwight-howard-center-power-forward-houston/2884877/

Rockets' Omer Asik on Dwight Howard: 'We'll see how it goes'
Sam Amick, USA TODAY Sports 7:11 p.m. EDT September 27, 2013

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Houston Rockets incumbent center Omer Asik was vague in addressing addition of Dwight Howard
7-footer called free agent signee "best center in the league" but isn't thrilled to play next to him
Rockets coach Kevin McHale thinks twin towers approach could work and will test it out

HOUSTON — The members of the ever-growing Dwight Howard fan club were everywhere at the Houston Rockets' media day Friday at the Toyota Center, where the big man's arrival has sparked the sort of joy and frivolity that was commonplace in those halcyon days when a healthy Yao Ming made them all relevant.

Counterintuitive though it might be, Rockets center Omer Asik is among the many fans of the former Los Angeles Lakers center, who came to town via free agency in July. Yet not surprisingly, that doesn't mean Asik is happy about Howard being here.

The always-gracious Asik addressed his widely known unrest, offering no comment on his July trade demand that is not expected to be granted, while insisting he'll be ready to play whatever minutes or roles come his way. After playing with the Turkish national team this summer, Asik was with teammates old and new for the first time since last season.

"You guys can ask as much as you can (about the trade demand), but I'm not going to say anything about this," said Asik, who was cornered against a wall outside the interview room before agreeing to speak. "I think (Howard) is the best center in the league, and that's a great addition for the Houston Rockets. So we'll see how it goes, starting tomorrow.

"I'm a basketball player. I'll do whatever the coaches say. I'm just going to be ready for the training camp, be ready (for) changes. ... Whatever I can do, we'll see. Defensively it will be really good — two good rim protectors. We have to figure out how to play first. This is basketball. It's just a business. There's no emotions in it. You just have to be ready (for) changes. That's all I'm thinking about right now."

Asik is coming off his best season as a pro (10.1 points and 11.7 rebounds a game) after signing a three-year, $25 million deal with Houston. It's only natural that he sees the likely loss of his starting role as a downer on the individual front. Yet it's a rare complication at a time when the Rockets and their Red Nation fans are otherwise awash with glee.

Howard and Asik offer many of the same skills.

Coach Kevin McHale consistently has said he wants to play Howard and Asik together, an idea that will surely make Lakers fans chuckle considering the saga that unfolded with Howard and Lakers forward Pau Gasol last season.

TOGETHER: How might Dwight, Asik mesh?

Third-year forward Greg Smith has flashed promise and is expected to be a major part of the frontcourt rotation, and the Rockets also are looking to incorporate second-year forwards Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas.

They have, in other words, a big problem to be solved with their bigs.

"They'll determine how much (they play together)," McHale said of Howard and Asik. "If it works really well, it'll be a lot. If it looks like crap, it won't be much. We're going to find out. But we're going to give it every opportunity to work."

For his part, Howard — who admitted he had yet to have a one-on-one conversation with Asik — is open to the twin towers approach.

"With me and Omer, we have an opportunity to really mess up a lot of teams on the defensive end because of our presence," Howard said. "He's a very big guy. When we're playing together, it will give me a chance to roll around and block a lot of shots and be who I am on defense."

bob
MY NOTE:  I like that he's being a good soldier and saying the right things.  We'll see how things work out.  I'm not the fan of Asik that some members of this board are, but beggars can't be choosers, he is a starting center in the NBA and we need one and they need 4s and we are loaded with them.  Amick's right about Howard and Asik offering similar skill sets.  Both superior shotblockers, both superior defenders, both extremely raw on offense and extremely poor at the free throw line.  Asik is a poor man's Howard, with a paycheck to match. Value for the dollar? I'd have to say "Asik", but then I'm not a big fan of Howard. Howard and Asik haven't spoken yet?  That can't be good.  Howard should have made a call, just to soothe ruffled feathers. He's a man-child. Howard leading the Lakers after Kobe? That would have been a kindergarten. They dodged a bullet.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down