Omer Asik Trade Rumor Thread

+2
kdp59
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Omer Asik Trade Rumor Thread Empty Omer Asik Trade Rumor Thread

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:35 pm

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/31329/20140619/omer-asik-trade-rumors-boston-celtics-offer-jeff-green-joel-embiid-foot-injury-draft-houston-rockets-jared-sullinger-kevin-love-deal.htm

Omer Asik Trade Rumors: Boston Celtics Offer Jeff Green After Joel Embiid Injury Hurts Draft Value, Houston Rockets Favor Jared Sullinger if Kevin Love Deal Fails?

By Lauren Moranor
Jun 19, 2014 01:01 PM EDT

Omer Asik wants a trade. The Houston Rockets want a trade. However, getting that accomplished has been easier said than done. Even since the Rockets brought on Dwight Howard in last year's free agency, Asik has been pushed down the depth chart and wanting out. With an inflated contract, a move has been hard to find, but the Boston Celtics might be looking to help the Rockets out before the NBA Draft.

According to HoopsHype.com, the Boston Celtics are starting to take a serious look at Asik as they assess their roster for the future. The Celtics biggest need at the moment is a productive big man to fill the big hole as a starter. Since the departure of Kevin Garnett, Boston has been in need of a player that can be a defensive anchor while also being a productive rebounder and shooter from the field. That is where Asik comes it.

The Boston Celtics are reportedly considering trading Jeff Green to the Houston Rockets along with a draft pick for the Asik. The Rockets' asking price has been too high so far for the center who was a one-time starter. With interest low right now, the Rockets would easily accept the deal if officially offered. Asik is a player they can build on. The center would fit well with Jared Sullinger along with Avery Bradley's perimeter shooting.

The issue is the contract. Asik is owed $15 million with an $8.4 million cap hit next season. That is a tough pill for the Celtics to swallow for a player that may or may not return what that contract expires. However, it would be better than retaining Green who has two years left on his current deal. Asik is the better overall move.

The Celtics have been looking at productive big men in the NBA Draft. They have worked out everyone from Joel Embiid to Aaron Gordon and Julius Randle. According to ESPN.com, Embiid has a foot injury to pair with his pending back issue. That could steer the Celtics right into a deal for Asik. No team will risk a draft pick on Embiid if they feel he could be the next Greg Oden.

The only thing that could holdup a deal for Asik is if Boston feels they have a real shot at landing Kevin Love. According to ESPNBoston.com, the Celtics have already offered Green, Sullinger and draft picks for the forward who would be the better move from Asik. If the Timberwolves show signs of accepting that trade, Asik stays on the Rockets and Boston heads in a different direction.

bob
MY NOTE:  Notice, the #6 pick is not mentioned, just "a draft pick".  I've been thinking that, while offering a pick makes sense, the #6 pick is too high.  The #17 pick in this draft, or a future first, sure...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Omer Asik Trade Rumor Thread Empty Re: Omer Asik Trade Rumor Thread

Post by kdp59 Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:44 pm

I think that would make Sam happy.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:08 pm

If Green is movable, who do the Celtics go after for the 3 spot?

Hopefully the draft pick up for grabs is a future; that way they can draft Vonleh and another SF.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:22 pm

Fairly sure the Celts didn't work out Embiid.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:40 pm

KyleCleric wrote:Fairly sure the Celts didn't work out Embiid.

Kyle,

The only team that was allowed to work out Embiid was Cleveland.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:32 pm

k_j_88 wrote:If Green is movable, who do the Celtics go after for the 3 spot?

Hopefully the draft pick up for grabs is a future; that way they can draft Vonleh and another SF.

KJ

KJ,

Here's the list of free agent SFs.  Also, if we still have #17, TJ Warren or Rodney Hood might be available.

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency/small_forwards_2014.htm

We've got Deng, Pierce (for 1 year with a hometown discount?), Gordon Hayward, Evan Turner, CJ Miles.  There's a few, and those are the free agents.  There are also trade possibilities.

I'm much more worried about getting a center than I am about getting a SF.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:36 pm

BobH,

Certainly a center is priority one.

But moving Jeff Green does require immediate attention, because having a weakness at the wings is pretty costly.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:05 pm

Wing, schming!  Wings can be gotten for mid-range free agent money.  Get the center, Danny.

This article says Love would be "a better move from Asik." Untangling the syntax, I guess he means Love is a better player than Asik.  However, I do not believe Love is a better answer to the Celtics' biggest need than Asik is.

Kdp, you've got me pegged.  However, I'd probably be happier with Love (via trade) and Gortat (via free agency) than with Asik and no Love.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 pm

BobH, Sam,

Sorry if I sounded as if the SF situation is more important than the center position, because I know it isn't. I was mainly referring to the possibility that Green is traded for Asik.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:52 pm

So you give Sully away..........who starts at power forward..........Bass?   He is a 6 man guy not a starter...........now we have to find a PF unless we get Love and to get him Minny for sure would want Sully.  We gain a position...lose a position.      Treading water..............with that deal.

If you want a center, why not go after Gortat a free agent and keep your assets for other bigger deals.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:54 pm

112288 wrote:So you give Sully away..........who starts at power forward..........Bass?   He is a 6 man guy not a starter...........now we have to find a PF unless we get Love and to get him Minny for sure would want Sully.  We gain a position...lose a position.      Treading water..............with that deal.

If you want a center, why not go after Gortat a free agent and keep your assets for other bigger deals.

Drafting Vonleh would work at PF.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:18 am

Can't extend Asik this summer if traded for, correct?

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:53 am

KJ,

Yes you can and I like him, but now you have a rookie in a key position.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:12 am

112288 wrote:KJ,

Yes you can and I like him, but now you have a rookie in a key position.

True, but with proper rim protection at the center spot (here's where Gortat or Asik come into play), this might not be as much of a glaring weakness. Besides, the best learning curve is actually playing and he has tremendous upside. He'll be better than both Kelly and Sully, and that's nothing against either of them.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:42 am

KJ,

True, But Sully is a power forward, not a center and he will be switched back to his original position if we get a center.  Kelly...........who know....center......power forward...........he is not as tough as Sully who is an animal.  So the guy I want fighting for a rebound in game 7 is Sully not KO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down