Early Season Rotation in Focus

5 posters

Go down

Early Season Rotation in Focus Empty Early Season Rotation in Focus

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:17 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4707717/early-season-rotation-in-focus

Early season rotation in focus
October, 28, 2013
OCT 28 8:05 AM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

For Monday's story, we examined an uncertain starting 5 as the regular season approaches. Here's a quick rundown on Boston's 14-man roster and early season expectations for roles/playing time:

HEAVY LIFTERS

* Avery Bradley: Shooting guard will be tasked with initiating offense while Rajon Rondo rehabs and spearheads the defense.

* Jeff Green: Boston’s go-to scorer didn’t have a great preseason, but has the offensive target on his back to start the year.

* Gerald Wallace: If healthy, the 13th-year veteran will log typical big minutes, particularly after being one of Boston’s best players this preseason.

* Kelly Olynyk: Rookie is so skilled offensively that Stevens has to find ways to keep him on the floor while he develops defensively.

IN THE ROTATION

* Brandon Bass: Veteran forward is being asked to anchor Celtics’ defense, but has plenty of competition at power forward.

* Jared Sullinger: When his back can withstand the workload, he’ll be a heavy lifter in frontcourt.

* Kris Humphries: It’s in Celtics’ interest to reestablish his value before trade deadline and has shown ability to be double-double guy.

* Jordan Crawford: Rondo-less C’s will lean on Crawford for ball-handling early on, but role is murkier later.

* Vitor Faverani: Intriguing rookie is only player with pure center size and will get opportunity to earn big minutes.

* Courtney Lee: After lackluster first season in Boston, C’s could use his jolt of 3 and D off the bench.

* Phil Pressey: Rookie point guard has shown he can be a steadying presence at QB off the bench (and his defense has been excellent, too).

A LITTLE MURKIER

* Keith Bogans: Thumb injury limited him in preseason, but team will lean on him more off floor than on.

* MarShon Brooks: Played only 78 preseason minutes over six preseason games (two DNPs), but offensive abilities could open doors.

INJURED LIST

* Rondo: All-Star point guard starts the season as an observer, but wants to play without restriction upon return

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Early Season Rotation in Focus Empty Re: Early Season Rotation in Focus

Post by Sam Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:36 pm

I'd prefer to see Vitor Sully, Wallace, Green (SG) and Pressey start. I notice that descriptions of Bradley's "PG" role are now using the term "initiating the offense." Presumably that means bringing the ball upcourt and tossing (figuratively and literally) the responsibility laterally to the first open guy. I'm sure all of the other four members of the starting team would thrive on that setup.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Love the sarcasm Sam!

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Steve,

Sometimes, it's irresistible.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:01 pm

I'd start Pressey, Bradley, Green, Wallace, and Vitor.

Kelly, Sully, Hump, and Bass would be the first few guys off the bench. Then I'll say Lee.

Crawford, Brooks, and Bogans would be on the low end of the rotation. They just don't cut it for me.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:10 pm

k_j_88 wrote:I'd start Pressey, Bradley, Green, Wallace, and Vitor.

Kelly, Sully, Hump, and Bass would be the first few guys off the bench. Then I'll say Lee.

Crawford, Brooks, and Bogans would be on the low end of the rotation. They just don't cut it for me.

KJ
I'd start Pressey, Bradley, Green, Sully and Vitor. A front line of Vitor, Wallace and Green features three sub par rebounders. Neither Green or Wallace are suited to play PF.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Wallace is a good rebounder. He didn't get to show it last year in Brooklyn -- he didn't get to show much of anything in Brooklyn -- but he's been a capable rebounder in years past.

I think I'd go with Steve's starting five, but I have to believe that Green and Wallace will spend significant time on the floor together.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down