Celtics @Raptors Pregame Analysis

Go down

Celtics @Raptors Pregame Analysis Empty Celtics @Raptors Pregame Analysis

Post by dboss Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:54 pm

I thought I would start the new season off with a pregame analysis.

It’s hard to believe that the season is upon us.  

First let’s take a closer look at Toronto.

The Raptors have been a doormat team for many years but they are no longer an automatic ‘W’ on anyone’s schedule.

The Raptors posted a 6-1 record during preseason including two wins over the Celtics.  This team can flat out score the basketball and averaged around 103 PPG during the preseason.

They play with pace and have 3 really good wing players in Rudy Gay, DeMar DeRozen and 2nd year man, Terrence Ross.  These three guys can break a defense down in the half court and they love to get out and run.

At the point, Kyle Lowry provides an unspectacular but solid game where he can handle the ball, pass, score off the dribble and grab some rebounds.  DJ Augustine provides BU at the point.

Entering his second year in the league is Lithuanian big man Jonas Valanciunas who has a ton of upside.  He is very good around the rim scoring the basketball but is not a fierce rebounder or rim defender.

Their man guy on the glass is veteran Amir Johnson and Pain in the Ass Tyler Hansbrough always appears willing to participant in every activity that involves hitting someone.

Toronto also signed deep sharp shooter Steve Novak.  I know he cannot defend but we know he can get hot and will make unreal three point shots from deep, deep.  Austin Daye plays the stretch 4 and provides length and athleticism.

Lastly, the robot Aaron Gray backs up at center.  There are some other players like the once promising Landry Fields and some pine rags.

The Celtics could easily get run out of the building if they do not get back on defense and they  will need above average man on man coverage to check Toronto's  wing players from getting where they want to go. Our pick and roll defense will need to be well coordinated.  

I think this would be a good opportunity to pair both Green and Wallace together and also use Lee to check Ross when he comes off the bench.

The Celtics have yet to implement a consistent fast break pace.  Against most teams I would like them to play fast but the Toronto wings are quicker than our wings so if we run they will probably blow us out of the Gym.  I hope I am wrong about that.

I think a more physical down and dirty game would be a better solution on offense.  Since Jared will be out, I could see Oylnyk starting alongside Green and Bass.  Although I do not know how Kelly will handle the inside game for us.  Kris Humphries is another option to start in the PF/C spot.  And maybe we will see the Green/Wallace combo to start the game.

One improvement from last year seems to be the reduction in turnovers.

The one weakness that must be strengthened is rebounding and scoring points in the paint.

It will be fun to watch our Celtics begin a new era with a lot of promising young talent like Coach Brad Stevens.  In all fairness to him, he deserves an extended honeymoon.  He needs time to figure this out.  This is a very difficult task to transition from College into the NBA.  And I think that once he does this team will get better.

The Keys to winning this game are:

Defend the pick and role

Close out on the three point shooters

Gang rebound on the defensive glass

Play uptempo where possible

establish an inside out game

protect the basketball

win more 50/50 plays than they do                                                                

Go Celts!

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down