Random Thoughts - Coach, Rondo, Steez, Ray and More

4 posters

Go down

Random Thoughts - Coach, Rondo, Steez, Ray and More Empty Random Thoughts - Coach, Rondo, Steez, Ray and More

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:54 pm

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2013/11/lots-of-random-thoughts-coach-rondo.html

Lots of Random Thoughts - Coach, Rondo, Steez, Ray, KO and More

Brad Stevens and Winning
Before the season I predicted that this team would not be as bad as a lot of people were projecting them to be. I know they are going to lose some games because they are a young team and because our new head coach is still learning the NBA ropes, but they are also going to win some games simply because they refuse to give up. I would much rather watch these Celtics scrap and fight as a team than to watch a bunch of iso's for a couple of stars. But that's just me.

That win over the Heat was absolutely amazing. The last play was incredible and it was executed to perfection. And best of all, Jeff Green posterized LeBron on that last shot. Perfect. It was great watching the Celtics celebrate on the court, jumping up and down and hugging each other. Then the camera pans to Brad Stevens who is just standing there without a reaction either way. That kind of demeanor in a head coach is perfect for a young team.

Brad Stevens doesn't get too high when the Celtics win or too low when they lose. He prepares the team and prepares himself to the best of his ability and then goes with the game plan. Think of all the planning that had to go into that last play. The right player had to inbound the ball. It had to be someone who could throw a quarterback style pass across the court to a player and be right on the mark. He had to pick a receiver who could hit a 2 pointer under pressure. And he had to deal with the 5 defenders on the court so they wouldn't disrupt the play.

Brad Stevens is the anti-Doc in so many ways. Doc was the perfect coach for a star heavy team because his greatest skill as a coach is communication and dealing with personalities. But, Doc was not good at dealing with young players or developing rookies. He would rather sit rookies under the guise of making them earn their playing time in practice than have to deal with their mistakes in games to let them learn from them.

Last season, Doc played Avery Bradley at the point. It was clear to almost everyone that Avery was not a point guard and that his game suffered immensely at the point, but yet, Doc stuck with Avery until the bitter end of the season. It took Brad Stevens 4 games into the season to realize that the Avery Bradley at point experiment wasn't working and trying something different. Putting Jordan Crawford at the point has given Bradley a chance to thrive at his natural position and Crawford is opening a lot of eyes with his ability to run the team. Doc had Crawford for the last half of the season but never gave him an opportunity to show what he could do as a point guard.

And in almost every game you would see Doc on the sidelines screaming at the players and at the refs. He was almost always hoarse because of it. Brad Stevens is never going to lose his voice. The players have said that they have not heard him raise his voice even once. On the sidelines he is cool and calm but never yelling of getting mad. I've said it before, that type of demeanor is perfect for a young team. It will keep them grounded and with their coach setting the example, they won't get too high on themselves or two low. Brad believes in his players and they are seeing results and I have a feeling that these players would run through a brick wall for their coach.

Speaking of Jordan Crawford
I'm always willing to admit when I'm wrong about something and I was wrong about Jordan Crawford. Before the season Jordan Crawford was at the top of my list of players I wanted traded. After the way Doc used him last season, I saw him as a chucker with no discipline and didn't think he could be much more. But his play this season has been a revelation.

It's not a coincidence that the Celtics' win streak began when Jordan Crawford was inserted in the starting lineup at the point. Avery Bradley is a natural shooting guard and when coaches insist on playing him at the point, it takes away his best qualities as a player. In the first four games, all losses, he turned the ball over a team-high 15 times and the offense often stalled out.

Crawford has thrived at the point and has been a calming influence over the Celtics. He has a team high 24 assists and has made good decisions with the ball. In Saturday's win over the Heat, he kept the ball moving and the team ran on just about every possession. Brad Stevens is giving Crawford a chance and he's making the best of that chance.
And, I admit that I was wrong about Jordan Crawford. He just needed a chance, and the right coach to give it to him.

Ray Allen is Still Whining (And I still love Perk)
Ray Allen was still whining about KG and Paul Pierce not talking to him after he left for Miami. What does he expect. The Celtics had just finished a grueling series, coming very close to beating the Heat in the ECF. It would figure that they would want to give it another go the next year. But, then Ray chose to break up the trio and go to the enemy. He chose to go. Danny was offering him twice as much as the Heat and he offered a no-trade clause to ease his fears of being traded. He had every reason to stay but he chose to go to the enemy, the Celtics biggest rival.

It's not surprising that players like Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce, who value loyalty over most everything, would take Ray's departure as a slap in the face and turn their backs on him. Ray made the case that now Pierce and KG both left the team as well, but the circumstances were far different. They agreed to a trade that would help the Celtics down the road and also give them a chance to compete for a title this season. But the key is that they helped their former team as well. They didn't abandon their teammates and their team as Ray did.

We can contrast the current relationship (or lack of one) between KG and Ray Allen to the relationship between KG and other former teammates. We've heard that Rondo and KG are still close and text each other almost daily. So, KG is still close to his current Celtics teammates. And then there's this. Kendrick Perkins is now on Instagram and posted this picture as one of his first entries.

Random Thoughts - Coach, Rondo, Steez, Ray and More Kendrickp5+on+Instagram

He added this comment: "Whenever I need to get my head back into the game.I can always count on my OG. #RealBrother" Perk never asked to be traded. He cried when he had to leave his Celtics' brothers. That didn't stop him from giving his all to the Thunder once he got there. But Perk and KG share a bond that's not likely to be broken. Ray Allen brought KG's cold shoulder on himself by choosing to leave his brothers in arms while they were still fighting for a title and go to the enemy and he needs to stop whining about it.  Of course KG still loves Perk.  I do too.

Team Players
Kris Humphries has been a starter and is a double double threat in any game, but yet, he has been pretty much glued to the bench in games.  But, he hasn't complained and as far as I can see, he is working hard and staying ready for when he does get in the game.

And, he has contributed considerably and made the most of his minutes.  He hasn't sulked when he isn't playing like many players in his position would do.  When a teammate makes a big play, Kris is up and cheering and he is supporting his teammates.    I have to admit that I didn't like Humphries as a Net, especially after the brawl with Rondo.  But he's earning my respect with his attitude this season as a Celtic.

Vitor Faverani is another player who is a team player. If he's not playing, he will cheer his teammates on from the bench. I think back to ML Carr's towel waiving efforts back in the day. From ESPN:

Last week, first-year head coach Brad Stevens talked about replacing Faverani in the second-half starting lineup with fellow rookie Kelly Olynyk. He noted how Faverani slung his arm around Olynyk and tried to pump him up as he prepared to take his spot.

Said Stevens: "I really like Vitor. Vitor is all in."

That echoes what Stevens has said in the past. Stevens noted how he invited Faverani out to dinner with his family upon the 7-footer's initial arrival in Boston this past summer. Stevens walked away gushing about the soft-spoken Brazilian, who stressed upon Stevens that nothing meant more to him than being a part of the team and winning as a group.

Saturday, Vitor Faverani was moved to the bench from the starting lineup.   And not only was he moved to the bench, but his playing time was reduced to just 2 minutes against the Heat.  Vitor not only didn't sulk about the demotion, he was the first player off the bench to congratulate Jeff Green on his game winner.

Random Thoughts - Coach, Rondo, Steez, Ray and More Vitor+celebrates+with+JG+and+AB+Heat

Rondo Was a Bad Boy
If you read all the way down to the bottom of Saturday's article in the Herald we get a little tidbit on Rondo's rehab.
It’s fairly typical for any player recovering from surgery to accelerate his own comeback, which is why Ainge was a little surprised to learn from the training staff this week that Rondo has been playing one-and-one before road games.

The Celtics president of basketball operations stressed yesterday that this doesn’t mean Rondo has been cleared for full contact or scrimmaging. That decision is in the hands of Rondo’s surgeon, Dr. James Andrews.

“He played 3-on-3 three weeks ago when he wasn’t supposed to,” said Ainge. “But I asked (the training staff) if it was OK for him to be playing one-on-one, and the answer was yes. Of course playing one-on-one is one thing. It doesn’t mean he’s ready to play to the NBA standard.”

Rondo said he hasn’t been able to schedule a trip to Pensacola, Fla., to meet with Andrews, though it may happen soon.
I was thinking the other day that Rondo must be chomping at the bit to get out there and run with this team. He'll be like a kid in the proverbial candy store with all 4 of his teammates running the court with him. So, he's trying out that knee playing 3 on 3 and 1 on 1, even though he hasn't been cleared for it. I have a feeling that the clearance will be coming soon. Hopefully though, Rondo won't rush back too soon. He's too important to the team to risk another injury by trying to do too much too soon.

Kelly With the Colonel
I love Kelly Olynyk.  Not only does he have all the tools to be a star on the court, he has a great personality off the court.  He posted the photo below on his Instagram page with this comment: "Chillin with the Colonel. It's the small things in life that make the biggest difference."  

Random Thoughts - Coach, Rondo, Steez, Ray and More KO+and+the+Colonel

There's nothing more I can add to this.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts - Coach, Rondo, Steez, Ray and More Empty Re: Random Thoughts - Coach, Rondo, Steez, Ray and More

Post by k_j_88 Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Nice article.

The team is coming together nicely. Shows you don't need a bunch of stars to be competitive.

I agree with the sentiment about Allen. He could have stayed but didn't. There were consequences associated with it and he should have anticipated them.

As a coach, Stevens is the kinda guy I'd rather have running my team than Doc. Doc hates playing young guys.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts - Coach, Rondo, Steez, Ray and More Empty Re: Random Thoughts - Coach, Rondo, Steez, Ray and More

Post by beat Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:09 pm

KJ

This was a topic for many years with Doc not playing younger players. Nothing could be further from the truth.

In defense of Doc, he had a veteran team and was a veteran coach. Would those guys have listened to Stevens back then? Stevens is aside from a couple exceptions still coaching basically college kids right now. Doc played a lot of young players over the years too. Perk and Rondo were NOT long in the tooth players and there were more both with the C's and his previous stints elsewhere. If Doc were still here he would most likely have to play the young ones as there are just too many of them not too.

I will say this though Stevens is NOT afraid to make a change if it looks like it will help the team. Will this pattern continue is questionable. He is just getting his feet wet in the NBA but the future looks very bright.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Went back and checked a couple of Doc's early years with us.

2005-06 season
Rooks or first year players and games played

Tony Allen 51 games
Ryan Gomes(R) 61 games
Orien Green (R) 80 games
Al Jefferson 59 games

06-07 season

Gomes 73 games
Gerald Green 81 games
Rondo (R) 78 games
Leon Powe (R) 63 games
Allen Ray 47 games

To say Doc HATES playing younger players is not supported by the stats.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:02 pm

beat,

Usually he plays the young ones only if he has to. Rondo, Bradley, Perk, and Sully were just too good to keep on the bench @ their positions.

Last year, PP and KG were playing far too many minuets despite the fact that there were other guys that could have come in.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:45 am

KJ, I could go back a lot more

Usually or not fact is he did play them.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:47 am

Nice to see at least one person admit he blew it about Jordan Crawford. I haven't yet seen anyone give Danny his due for trading an old, injured player for JC. I'm not saying Jordan's the second coming of someone with the same initials, but I've maintained since training camp that he was a different Jordan Crawford in terms of the way he was harnessing his considerable skills for the benefit of the team.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down