Marshon Brooks: 'I Don't Have A Role'

5 posters

Go down

Marshon Brooks:  'I Don't Have A Role' Empty Marshon Brooks: 'I Don't Have A Role'

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Well, we knew it was just a matter of time before someone started whining.  How he thinks this will help, I have no idea...

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2013/11/14/marshon-brooks-i-dont-have-a-role/

MARSHON BROOKS: ‘I DON’T HAVE A ROLE’
11.14.13 at 12:55 am ET
By Ben Rohrbach

As the Celtics failed to shoot 40 percent for the second time in a week, one of the few players on the roster capable of creating his own shot watched from the bench for the eighth time in nine games.

Admittedly, MarShon Brooks is frustrated. He’s played seven minutes all season and none since being on the floor for a 13-1 run that erased a double-digit deficit against the Pistons two weeks ago. Other than that, he’s been a DNP.

“I’m trying not to get frustrated, because I know my time’s going to come,” said Brooks, “and if I’m frustrated, then I’m playing against myself, so all I can do is just stay in shape and be ready.

“Right now, I’m not playing at all. I don’t have a role. I’m just cheering right now, trying to cheer my teammates on and let them know what I see. That’s about it.”

Brooks isn’t complaining. He would’ve been content letting Jeff Green in the next locker over answer all the questions after the C’s first loss in five games. Brooks was just being honest. The Providence product started 47 games and dropped 12.6 points a night for the Nets during his rookie campaign two years ago. Any player, especially one who tasted individual success so early, would crave playing time again on a young team.

“What goes through my head? I just want to go in,” said Brooks. “And then from there, I’ll just take care of my business, man. When my opportunity comes, I’m going to try to go out there, just be solid, not do too much and just play ball. I’ll run into points. I’m just going to play hard on defense. The scoring will come.”

Of course, Brooks understands the flip side of the NBA coin. Once the Nets acquired Deron Williams and Joe Johnson for their move to Brooklyn, he took a backseat. His minutes were slashed in half, and his production went with it. The trade to the Celtics seemed like a fresh start full of opportunity that just hasn’t presented itself yet.

“It’ll come,” said Brooks. “I’ll have my opportunity to play. It’s a long season.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Marshon Brooks:  'I Don't Have A Role' Empty Re: Marshon Brooks: 'I Don't Have A Role'

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Of all the positions on the court, the SG is one where the Celtics have the most versatility.

AB is the starter and playing well....Lee is also playing well coming off the bench. When coach goes big, Green or Wallace are capable of playing the 2 for a stretch. When he goes small, Crawford can play the 2. So Marshon looks to be the odd man out, at least until someone gets hurt - or he steps up in practice and earns some minutes.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Marshon Brooks:  'I Don't Have A Role' Empty Re: Marshon Brooks: 'I Don't Have A Role'

Post by Sam Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:30 pm

MarShon, that's why God gave you only 10 fingers. Twelve would be just too many. A pro basketball rotation is much like that. In order to crack the rotation, one has to prove (ostensibly at practice) that he's a better fit than someone in the rotation.

The problem is that all of the guards in the rotation have at least two skills: Crawford-scoring and ball distribution; Lee-scoring and defense; Bradley-defense and a transition game (and maybe corner threes and that nice mid-range jumper). (So far, the Pressey I'm seeing pushes the pace but not a lot else. The rest of the league is hitting its stride after the early games, and Phil isn't keeping pace.) You, MarShon, have only one skill—scoring. Not that scoring is any kind of negative, but when you add inconsistency to the mix, your scoring becomes less of an asset. Moreover, it's nice that you can create your own shot, but it would be nicer if you could insinuate yourself more into the flow of the Celtics' team-oriented offense rather than ALWAYS looking for your own shot.

At least you're not alone. Humphries and (especially) Bogans must be just about as itchy as you. Unfortunately for you, how long will it be before Rondo returns the other four backcourt players rush for the three remaining available seats. Probably Pressey will enter Splinterville, and you should definitely be looking at travel brochures.

In one way or another, I expect that the logjam will eventually be broken—at least by mid-February---or even earlier in the awful event of injury to a backcourt player or two.

What you've said is not as serious as some kind of ultimatum. But, I suspect that further griping would create about as much impact on Brad Stevens as Jeff Green's winning shot did. In other words, "Uh huh, next game."

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:05 pm

I feel for his situation, but as he said, he'll have to stay ready. He'll get some game this year; just not right away.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:15 pm

It is a very long season sure to be filled with a few land mines. Brooks will get a chance to play and in the meantime he just needs to remain positive and work on his game. There are 2 shooting guards ahead of him. Three if you include Crawford.

I cannot be upset with him. He just wants to play.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:14 am

Dboss,

Assuming Crawford continues to submit workmanlike performances at PG, it will be interesting to see what happens with Crawford when Rondo returns to full strength. If Danny doesn't acquire another real PG, and if Pressey doesn't grow more quickly than he has shown thus far, I'd have to assume that Jordan would be the backup PG. But his minutes at the PG position would obviously be drastically reduced, and I believe he's playing well enough to merit considerable time at SG.

The "new" Crawford, Lee, or Bradley could represent legitimate trade bait (not necessarily headliners but perhaps important part of a package). And, among the three, it's likely that Crawford's decent PG abilities would give him an edge in terms of staying; perhaps it's all up to how Pressey progresses. I'm not one of those who feel Avery's defense alone is a reason to keep him. Yes, he can shoot some, but so can many SGs. But I do believe that, lf the three players, Avery would bring the best trade return because his one "trick" is so widely coveted. Actually, I believe that, right now, Courtney Lee is playing a better all-around game than Bradley—and I like his height in the backcourt.

We'll see what happens.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down