Outside
k_j_88
tjmakz
Sam
bobheckler
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rockets Increase Omer Asik Talks, Hope For Trade By Dec. 19 Empty Rockets Increase Omer Asik Talks, Hope For Trade By Dec. 19

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Rockets Increase Omer Asik Talks, Hope For Trade By Dec. 19
Dec 06, 2013 12:58 PM EST

The Houston Rockets have ramped up trade discussions involving Omer Asik.

The Rockets are looking to move Asik as he and Dwight Howard have proven to be incompatible on the floor together.

The Rockets will target a trade between Dec. 15 and Dec. 19, which would allow the players involved to be traded again before the Feb. 20 deadline.

Sam Amick of USA Today reports that the Rockets continue to search for a lottery pick in exchange for Asik.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

bob
MY NOTE:  Now HERE'S a rumor that might have some bite to it.  Asik/Howard experiment is not going well.  It's interesting that they're looking to do this now so that players can be traded again this year.  Hmmm, I wonder what that says about Asik's long-term desirability, that the Rockets are already trying to help a suitor to trade him again this year?  Upon further thought, maybe it's the Rockets that want to be able to do another trade. We've got a bunch of expiring contracts that have late-season trade value. How about Hump and a draft pick for Asik? Lord Knows Danny has a few lottery picks to offer.  The catch, of course, is what player(s) would have to go with the pick(s) to make the salaries match up? Draft picks have zero monetary value in trades.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rockets Increase Omer Asik Talks, Hope For Trade By Dec. 19 Empty Re: Rockets Increase Omer Asik Talks, Hope For Trade By Dec. 19

Post by Sam Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Asik for Humphries straight-up works financially. Just throw in a draft pick, which doesn't change the finances but sweetens the deal (as long as it's not a first rounder this season). I've been pushing to get Asik for quite a while now. I've also said that I doubt Danny would trade Humphries during the season except for a center with good value. I think Humphries is good enough to help this team with a veteran rebounding presence but not good enough to keep if a building-block center with a strong rebounding presence is available. Whether Houston would accept the triple appeal of (1) a strong rebounding forward who could potentially team with Howard to present a formidable rebounding tandem, (2) a substantial contract that expires THIS SEASON, and (3) a first-rounder is a matter for debate, especially since they already have Casspi and Jones at PF and those two are already combining for 44 minutes and 11 rebounds per game. They might rather go for a player who would add defense and energy to complement Howard at either center or PF, such as Anderson Varejao. (Varejao for Asik straight-up also works financially, and Cleveland could also find a deal-sweetener.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Rockets Increase Omer Asik Talks, Hope For Trade By Dec. 19 Empty Re: Rockets Increase Omer Asik Talks, Hope For Trade By Dec. 19

Post by tjmakz Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Bob,

Supposedly, Houston's asking price for Asik is very high and they seem to be looking for a stretch 4, like a Ryan Anderson and not necessarily a rebounder like Humphries.
None of Boston's future draft picks are guaranteed to be lottery picks, not even this years two picks.
My opinion is that Houston is in a win now mode and won't accept an offer that makes them worse for this season but helps them down the road.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:46 pm

sam wrote:Asik for Humphries straight-up works financially.  Just throw in a draft pick, which doesn't change the finances but sweetens the deal (as long as it's not a first rounder this season).  I've been pushing to get Asik for quite a while now.  I've also said that I doubt Danny would trade Humphries during the season except for a center with good value.  I think Humphries is good enough to help this team with a veteran rebounding presence but not good enough to keep if a building-block center with a strong rebounding presence is available.  Whether Houston would accept the triple appeal of (1)  a strong rebounding forward who could potentially team with Howard to present a formidable rebounding tandem, (2) a substantial contract that expires THIS SEASON, and (3) a first-rounder is a matter for debate, especially since they already have Casspi and Jones at PF and those two are already combining for 44 minutes and 11 rebounds per game.  They might rather go for a player who would add defense and energy to complement Howard at either center or PF, such as Anderson Varejao.  (Varejao for Asik straight-up also works financially, and Cleveland could also find a deal-sweetener.)

Sam
sam,

Omri Casspi is a SF, not PF. As a PF he makes Jeff Green look like the 2nd coming of Paul Silas.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Danny should've drafted Asik when he had the chance.

I could see the Humphries for Asik trade, though.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm not sure what Houston needs other than overall depth and bench scoring. They're 13-7 and seem like they'll only get better as they get used to playing with each other.

They've already got Harden, Dwight, and Parsons to handle the bulk of the scoring load, and Dwight, Parsons, and Terrence Jones seem like a pretty good rebounding and defensive frontcourt, so I don't know what a stretch 4 would get them. Maybe Dwight misses the days playing with Rashard Lewis. Maybe Dwight doesn't like Terrence Jones hanging around the paint getting in his way and taking his rebounds. Maybe Dwight is only comfortable in an offense of four guys around the three-point line leaving everything else for him.

Humphries doesn't work all that well basketball-wise, but he could be attractive to Houston as an expiring contract.

While I said elsewhere that I don't think Danny would hesitate to make a trade that benefits the team long-term at the expense of this year's success and that he'd be willing to trade Humphries even if he didn't get a rebounder in return, getting a rebounder for Humphries in a deal that also improves the Celtics going forward is a double-win. Asik for Humphries would be a really good deal for the Celtics.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Are any of the draft picks we received from Brooklyn or the Clippers lottery protected?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:25 am

worcester wrote:Are any of the draft picks we received from Brooklyn or the Clippers lottery protected?
NO.... Mad Mad 

we do not trade or even discuss trading a Brooklyn pick at this point. Mebbe we abandon our mothers, sell our first borns, tear down Reds statue and build one of Phil Jackson in its place BUT.... we do not trade any of those picks..

I feel horrible for KG, Paul and JEts Tatoo.. I was rooting for them to win it all this yr if we couldn't - and we cant at this point, but that deal could go down as one of the most lopsided trades of all time.. Right there with the Russell deal and the McHale-Parish deal...

Asik for Hump and a few seconds i'd be tickled to death with howsover.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Matty wrote:
worcester wrote:Are any of the draft picks we received from Brooklyn or the Clippers lottery protected?
NO.... Mad Mad 

we do not trade or even discuss trading a Brooklyn pick at this point. Mebbe we abandon our mothers, sell our first borns, tear down Reds statue and build one of Phil Jackson in its place BUT.... we do not trade any of those picks..

I feel horrible for KG, Paul and JEts Tatoo..  I was rooting for them to win it all this yr if we couldn't - and we cant at this point, but that deal could go down as one of the most lopsided trades of all time.. Right there with the Russell deal and the McHale-Parish deal...

Asik for Hump and a few seconds i'd be tickled to death with howsover.

Matty,

The Brooklyn pick this coming year can be swapped with Atlanta at Atlanta's choice.

In other words, if Brooklyn gets the #1 pick in the draft, and the Hawks end up with #19, Atlanta will get Wiggins and we'll get #19.

We need Atlanta to tank this year too. If they make the playoffs, and right now they're looking good, then our pick from Brooklyn will NOT be a lottery pick.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:34 pm

BobH,

I took Casspi's PF designation from Basketball Reference. Jeff Green is listed as a SF, which is virtually the only position I've seen him play this season (thank goodness).

The most relevant comparison probably involves rebounding. This season, Casspi has corralled exactly 50% more rebounds than Jeff per 36 minutes (6.9 to 4.6). Silas, at 12.7 RP36 for his career, is hardly an apt comparison (even a relative one) with either Casspi or Green. However, Humphries (6' 9", 235 pounds and 10.8 rebounds per 36 minutes) comes closer to Silas' rebounding stats than to those of either Casspi or Green.

I suggest that mentioning Green in the same sentence as-Silas at the PF position may be a little more hyperbolic than is consistent with even a humorous frame of reference. But there seems good reason to believe that Humphries would be a significant rebounding upgrade for Casspi as a Houston PF—especially if it can bring the Celtics a center with legitimate potential as a building block and a chip on his shoulder (a la Crawford).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:12 pm

I think there's a difference between losing and deliberately tanking. And I submit the Brooklyn Nets as exhibit number one.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Asik just switched agents, he is now being repped by Super Agent Arn Tellem.  He is ranked as the #1 agent in the world, as defined by the total salaries of his client list.

Tellem's client list is legendary.  He currently represents, just a few:

Boston - Vitor, Hump, Kelly Olynyk
Brooklyn - Brook Lopez, Joe Johnson,
Memphis - Marc Gasol, Mike Miller
LAL - Pau Gasol
Portland - LaMarcus Aldridge, Robin Lopez
OKC - Perk, Westbrook
GSW - Scal

He has fingers in just about every pot. He has also repped Jason Collins.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/231038/Omer-Asik-To-Change-Agents-Hire-Arn-Tellem

Omer Asik To Change Agents, Hire Arn Tellem
Dec 10, 2013 6:22 PM EST

Omer Asik has filed paperwork to drop Andy Miller and hire Arn Tellem as his new NBA agent, according to sources.

The Turkish basketball site Superbasket.org first reported the news.

Tellem must wait 10 days after Asik files documents to the NBA players union before commencing representation.

Asik has reportedly requested multiple trades since the offseason, when the Houston Rockets signed Dwight Howard.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Seems like wherever he plays he complains.  The Bulls let him walk for $25 mill and the rockets thought he was so good that they went out and got Howard.

If the Celtics did a Humphries for Asik trade I could see that but giving up more assets particularly draft picks would not make sense to me.

Asik has a big $15 mill payday coming next year upon which he will be a free agent after he collects his money.  Hump is going to be gone anyways so having Asik around for the rest of this year and next would at the very least provide an opportunity to establish his value to the team.  

But giving up more assets for that would not be advisable.  

Kevin McHale ( our prayers go out to him as he recently lost his mom) Would probably like to get another PF on his team. Hump would be a pretty good option since he can also play a little center and is playing on an expiring contract.

The clock is ticking on the self imposed dec 19th deadline.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:59 pm

dboss,

Asik does not have a big $15 mill payday next year.  His salary this year and next is $8,374,646.  Humphries salary is $12 mill.  Houston would have to send an additional $3 mill (more or less) worth of salary our way to match.

See my reply to you on the second page of this thread:

https://samcelt.forumotion.net/t5513p20-bill-simmons-says-jeff-green-for-omer-asik-trade-is-good-for-both-teams

I would add a couple 2nd round draft picks to sweeten the pot, but I would likewise prefer to save the 1st rounders for a bigger fish.

gyso

PS: Please don't use HoopsHype.com for your player salary info, at least for this issue.  They are not exactly correct with both Asik and Lin's salaries.  Use HoopsWorld.com or ShamSports.com instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:14 pm

gyso,

Omer Asik will make $15M next year. His contract is backloaded, but it counts as $8M+ on the salary cap.

And either way, Boston would still have to pay the additional $7M on a potential rental.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Gyso

I read an article that indicates the Rockets owe him $14 mill and some change next year.

But I do not think it all applies against the cap.nevertheless he stll gets that amount next year. I made no mention about the cap.

And if he gets traded to Boston he would be paid that amount but only acct for $8 mill against the cap. But what about our unused trade exception?

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:53 pm

You guys are quite a ways off base if you think a Kris Humphries for Asik trade is anywhere near realistic. Throwing in a 2015 or 2016 2nd round pick does not help.

Houston will get more than 1 backup PF for Asik.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Gyso,

Trade Machine shows $12 million next year for Humphries and $8.4 million for Asik, but it says a straight swap would be a successful trade financially. I agree with sending one or two draft picks to sweeten the deal.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:20 pm

tjmakz wrote:You guys are quite a ways off base if you think a Kris Humphries for Asik trade is anywhere near realistic. Throwing in a 2015 or 2016 2nd round pick does not help.

Houston wants to move on from Asik at this point due to their adulterous affair with Howard. An expiring contract would be attractive to a team trying to build a contender.

But I'd agree with you that the trade isn't likely, but on a different premise: Boston appears to be biding their time. They'll spend more time assessing the trade market before making a move.

KJ

P.S.: Ainge could've drafted Asik but instead drafted J.R. Giddens  Evil or Very Mad 
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:17 am

TJ,

I wouldn't say way off base, as the Rockets are looking for a PF in return. What else they might be looking for in addition, I have no idea. If they get a PF and an additional talent in the trade, the PF might have to be lower-priced to make the salaries work, and there could be questions about whether a lower-priced PF would be as capable (plus having an expiring contract) as Humphries.

I agree that a trade of Asik to the Celtics for whatever is improbable, and I've seen nothing to indicate that Celtics-Rockets talks have heated up. But I wouldn't say way off base. Moreover, I wouldn't be averse to the Celtics trading a 2016 first round choice plus giving the Rockets the option of swapping their own 2014 choice for that of the Celtics. I wouldn't be quite so concerned about the 2014 choice if they had Asik because, otherwise, I'd be hoping for them to score a center in the 2014 draft. Probably more of a crap shoot than Asik.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:18 am

tjmakz wrote:You guys are quite a ways off base if you think a Kris Humphries for Asik trade is anywhere near realistic. Throwing in a 2015 or 2016 2nd round pick does not help.

Something else that makes the trade attractive for Houston is that Humphries has an expiring contract which would free up cap space. If they get trade Asik and whatever other players it takes to equal Humphries' $12 salary, that would put them under the cap next season. That kind of flexibility is worth something, which is why expiring contracts are coveted, particularly for deals done during the season.

The Celtics could throw in draft picks to sweeten the deal. They have a lot of them, and they certainly want to use at least half of them for themselves, but some of them are useful just for this type of situation. If a draft pick, even a first rounder, can help them get a solid starting center, it's easily worth it.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:16 am

Outside wrote:

Something else that makes the trade attractive for Houston is that Humphries has an expiring contract which would free up cap space. If they get trade Asik and whatever other players it takes to equal Humphries' $12 salary, that would put them under the cap next season. That kind of flexibility is worth something, which is why expiring contracts are coveted, particularly for deals done during the season.

The Celtics could throw in draft picks to sweeten the deal. They have a lot of them, and they certainly want to use at least half of them for themselves, but some of them are useful just for this type of situation. If a draft pick, even a first rounder, can help them get a solid starting center, it's easily worth it.

Yes, Houston would be under the Cap for next season but not enough to sign a significant free agent.
Without Asik they have about $50m committed to 7 players.
If they sign 5 players for a total of $5m, that would leave about $4m to sign a free agent, if the Cap stayed the same.
Yes, a 1st round pick quite different than Asik for Humphries and a 2nd round pick, especially if one of those picks is Boston's own 2014 1st round pick.

If I was Houston, I would rather trade Asik to Atlanta for Paul Millsap over getting Humphries and a 1st round pick.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:40 am

Here's a recent article about this.  What seems to be clear, by setting this "deadline" date, they are looking to have flexibility for another trade by the deadline this year.  If that's the case, then the question is "who is better trade bait, Millsap or Hump?" and not "who is the better player?".

Millsap's scoring is a bit better than Hump's /36mpg from 2 years ago when he was getting good minutes (although not as much as you'd think) but is not as good a rebounder by a fair bit and is not as good a defender.  Also, Millsap signed a 2-year $19M contract with the Hawks this summer, so he'd have 1 1/2 years left at about $9.5M per.  That provides neither cap relief nor longterm stability and predictability.  Hump's $12M contract expires this year.  EVERYBODY knows that, no matter what, he's not getting $12M on his next contract, that was an old CBA contract.  So, next year, you could possibly get Hump for $9M (maybe even less) anyway and sign him to a longterm contract OR cut him loose and save a ton of money.  There's less flexibility with Millsap since you can't cut him after this year and you may not sign him after next. Furthermore, since Millsap only signed a 2 year contract I don't believe there are any Bird Rights either.

If the idea is to secure better trade bait, I think Hump is the better asset.

On another note, I'm not sure I like Asik's attitude.  He seems to be a complainer.  He complained in Chicago and now he's complaining PUBLICLY in Houston but whether we should trade for him anyway is beside the point about whether Millsap or Hump would be the better deal for Houston.  

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10090433/houston-rockets-put-omer-asik-trade-block
The Houston Rockets are telling other teams they intend to trade disgruntled center Omer Asik by Dec. 19, according to sources familiar with the team's plans.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Rockets began calling potential trade partners Friday to let them know they intend to deal Asik between Dec. 15 and Dec. 19.

The Rockets tried playing Omer Asik and Dwight Howard together and were initially hesitant to entertain trade offers for the Turkish big man.

The significance of such a specific window is two-fold. Dec. 15 is the first day players who signed new contracts in the offseason can be plugged into trades, and Dec. 19 is the last day any player acquired by Houston in an Asik deal can be repackaged with other players before the league's Feb. 20 trade deadline.

The calls made by the Rockets on Friday are reminiscent of their approach with Thomas Robinson during the draft in June.

It was an open secret that the Rockets would trade Robinson to help clear salary-cap space for their pursuit of Dwight Howard. Taking this step with Asik is in essence an attempt to persuade potential suitors to put their best offer on the table quickly now that the Rockets have established such an exact time frame for trying to complete a trade.

Asik has wanted a new address from the moment Howard arrived in July and has privately requested a trade numerous times in the months since, sources said.

The Rockets tried playing Howard and Asik together and were initially hesitant to entertain trade offers for the Turkish big man on the premise that the luxury of having either Howard or Asik on the court at all times was too valuable to surrender so quickly.

But Asik's angry reaction last month to being dropped out of the starting lineup by Rockets coach Kevin McHale changed the dynamic.

Team officials are now aggressively trying to find a workable trade that will not only bring back a worthy asset for a player of Asik's caliber as a defensive anchor and a rebounder but one that also happens quickly enough to ensure that Houston -- known as one of the league's most active teams trade-wise -- maintains flexibility to make subsequent moves on deadline day.

Asik has repeatedly declined to comment on his trade request, knowing that any public discussion of the matter would subject him to a fine from the league office.

The 27-year-old started his first 90 games as a Rocket after signing as a free agent in the summer of 2012 before declaring himself unavailable to play the Knicks in New York on Nov. 14 to snap a streak of 239 consecutive games played in the regular season.

Asik was shelved this week by the Rockets with what is listed as a thigh contusion. He's averaging a mere 18.3 minutes per game, down from last season's career high of 30.3, and is averaging just 4.4 points and 6.8 rebounds.

Asik is owed $15 million in salary next season in a balloon payment in the final year of his contract that only counts against the salary cap at $8.4 million but could still dissuade some bidders.

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:48 am

As BobH mentioned, Asik has the wrong attitude.

On a young team, that could blur the focus.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:57 am

So we are sure he's a malcontent..............???

Not sure what he complained about in Chicago

But when the Rockets obtained Howard it is understandable to a degree, guy just lost his job!

If that is the "bad" attitude then I can live with that.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next