kdp59
Outside
swish
tjmakz
Sam
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FORGET THE FIREWORKS - Sources: Rockets trade Omer Asik to Pelicans Empty FORGET THE FIREWORKS - Sources: Rockets trade Omer Asik to Pelicans

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:04 pm

YAHOO SPORTS
 By Adrian Wojnarowski

The Houston Rockets have reached agreement on a trade to send center Omer Asik to the New Orleans Pelicans in exchange for a future first-round draft pick, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

For the Rockets, this is the first step in clearing salary-cap space to pursue LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony in free agency. Houston has to move Jeremy Lin next to create space for a third maximum contract on the roster. Dwight Howard and James Harden are already on max contracts for the Rockets.

The Rockets will acquire what will likely be a late lottery pick, possibly as soon as 2015, from the Pelicans, sources said.

Asik gives the Pelicans a rim protector and defender to pair with star forward Anthony Davis.

Asik, 27, had asked for a trade a year ago, wanting out of Houston after the team signed Howard to become its starting center. Asik was injured for parts of the past season and averaged 5.8 points and 7.9 rebounds. As Houston's starting center two years ago, he averaged 10.1 points, 11.7 rebounds and 1.1 blocks.

Back to top Go down

FORGET THE FIREWORKS - Sources: Rockets trade Omer Asik to Pelicans Empty Re: FORGET THE FIREWORKS - Sources: Rockets trade Omer Asik to Pelicans

Post by Sam Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:20 pm

IF true, no wasted energy.  Prepare the offer to Gortat.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

FORGET THE FIREWORKS - Sources: Rockets trade Omer Asik to Pelicans Empty Re: FORGET THE FIREWORKS - Sources: Rockets trade Omer Asik to Pelicans

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:20 pm

I DON'T GET IT. FOR A DRAFT CHOICE? ARE YOU KIDDING!

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:25 pm

112288 wrote:I DON'T GET IT. FOR A DRAFT CHOICE? ARE YOU KIDDING!

Daryl Morey is trying to clear cap space and this is the first and easiest move for Houston to make.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:30 pm

SO WHERE IS DANNY? WHAT ABOUT OUR PICK?

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:39 pm

112288 wrote:SO WHERE IS DANNY? WHAT ABOUT OUR PICK?

Maybe Danny low balled Morey and thought he could get Asik with just using the TPE.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:46 pm

Maybe Danny didn't want Asik.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:59 am

It's interesting that Houston chose to do this deal with a team not only in the same conference, but in the same division. Considering that they gave Asik away for just a first round pick, you'd think that half the teams in the league would've been willing to meet that price.

It will be interesting to see if New Orleans can make this version of the twin towers work. If they can add some depth and avoid the injuries they had last season -- Jrue Holiday and Ryan Anderson both had season-ending injuries -- the Pelicans could be a very good team.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:02 am

swish wrote:Maybe Danny didn't want Asik.
There's always that possibility, but I don't see how Danny wouldn't take him for a draft pick when he has them stacked outside his door like a cord of wood for winter.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:15 am

Outside wrote:
There's always that possibility, but I don't see how Danny wouldn't take him for a draft pick when he has them stacked outside his door like a cord of wood for winter.

Outside
Perhaps he has someone else in mind to spend that 15 mil on.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:01 am

swish wrote:Perhaps he has someone else in mind to spend that 15 mil on.
Yep. Good point.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:25 am

swish wrote:
Outside wrote:

Outside
Perhaps he has someone else in mind to spend that 15 mil on.

swish

Spencer Hawes?

LOL

Well Sam, there goes your favorite "should be a Celtic".

has my head scratching I must say. Seemed like an easy deal for Ainge to make to match NO's offer. We may have had to release Bogans for cap space to make it work though.

Since Ainge almost made the deal for Asik before the trade deadline, they obviously have something else In the work for Center.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:46 pm

As I said above, no time for regrets.  On to Danny's next move.....which would also be his first move.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:02 pm

Outside wrote:It's interesting that Houston chose to do this deal with a team not only in the same conference, but in the same division. Considering that they gave Asik away for just a first round pick, you'd think that half the teams in the league would've been willing to meet that price.

It will be interesting to see if New Orleans can make this version of the twin towers work. If they can add some depth and avoid the injuries they had last season -- Jrue Holiday and Ryan Anderson both had season-ending injuries -- the Pelicans could be a very good team.

Maybe Asik was not worth more than a first round pick. All the mindless chatter about the Celts needing to give up picks and a front line player was based not on reality.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Dboss,

I have a hard time accepting that assessment of Asik. This is a guy who averaged 10.1 points and 11.7 rebounds the only time he was given the opportunity to play as a starter, and he plays a position that is decidedly lacking (and therefore in demand) around the league.

Maybe Morey didn't want to take on players in trade because he's leaving cap space for Carmelo, LeBron, or whichever star(s) they want to pursue, but I'd think he could squeeze two or more picks from Ainge instead of the one he got.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Outside wrote:Dboss,

I have a hard time accepting that assessment of Asik. This is a guy who averaged 10.1 points and 11.7 rebounds the only time he was given the opportunity to play as a starter, and he plays a position that is decidedly lacking (and therefore in demand) around the league.

Maybe Morey didn't want to take on players in trade because he's leaving cap space for Carmelo, LeBron, or whichever star(s) they want to pursue, but I'd think he could squeeze two or more picks from Ainge instead of the one he got.

Outside,

Yeah, you know, my first impression of this was that Morey just slapped Danny in the face. He knew Danny was interested, he knows he has draft picks up the ying yang AND a trade exception that fills the bill perfectly (so he could still get salary relief AND draft picks) and yet he trades him to a team, not only in the same conference but in the same division, for a single draft pick.

I don't understand it, I really don't. Part of me wants to say that Danny already has something set up and he waved Morey off, so Morey took an offer that was still on the table even if it was inferior to the one Danny originally offered, but that's 100% pure speculation at this point.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:12 pm

This makes no sense, unless Danny has another center locked up for less money. Otherwise incomprehensible.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:13 pm

Time to move on from Asik.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi,
I believe there is something else, not fireworks, is cooking in DA's kitchen.
The fact that DA didn't get Asik is an indication of him getting all draft picks and letting Love go elsewhere, IMO.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:42 pm

and who is to say that he will sign a long term deal there anyway?
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Originally what Ainge had offered for Asik was better than the offer they received six months later...

This was more a salary dump than anything else.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:20 pm

k_j_88 wrote:Originally what Ainge had offered for Asik was better than the offer they received six months later...

This was more a salary dump than anything else.

KJ

KJ,

I forget what the rumor was at the time, but I thought it was a 1st round pick, Bass and another player.
I think they wanted to keep Asik for a playoff run and not take on the salary of Bass and other Celtics.
If Houston signs LeBron or Carmelo, Morey will look like a genius for how he built the Rockets.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:26 pm

UNLESS OF COURSE THERE IS A NEED BY NEW ORLEANS TO FILL ANOTHER POSITION AND PLAYER THEY NEED WE HAVE AND DANNY HAS PUT OFF THE TRADE WITH NEW ORLEANS BECAUSE OTHER PIECES HAVE TO FALL THE CELTICS WAY FIRST DURING THE DRAFT AND WE DO NOT WANT TO TIP OUR HAND.

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:37 pm

If New Orleans has a need, it is for player #7 or later.
Their starting lineup is set along with their 6th man.
PG - Jrue Holiday
SG - Eric Gordon
SF - Ryan Anderson
PF - Anthony Davis
C - Omer Asik
6th Man - Tyreke Evans
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:38 pm

112288 - crafty. Very crafty.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next