Next Generation of Celtics Fans

5 posters

Go down

Next Generation of Celtics Fans Empty Next Generation of Celtics Fans

Post by dbrown4 Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:18 am

I did want to wish everyone on this site a very happy holiday season. Thank you all for reading through a lot of my ramblings. I do feel much freer on this site for some reason. I don't feel as vindictive or perhaps as guarded as I felt on the old site. Thank you again Sam and Administrators for the free press, the way it should be. I have thoroughly enjoyed everyone's posts and how they have helped me become a better Celtic fan and promoter.

My middle son, Evan(5), has really taken to the Celtics this season, as well as my oldest son Nathan. Since he can't stay up for most of the games (past his bedtime), the first thing he asks me upon waking up is who won the game(s) last night. He knows that under no circumstances do you ever pull for the Lakers, Cleveland or Orlando, unless they play for each other and in those cases you want both of them to lose. He is constantly asking me to push the rewind for great Celtic game plays, which have been numerous. He goes out and practices basketball himself in the cold without prompting, gloves and all. We gave him a green NBA Kevin Garnett Jersey this past Saturday and he hasn't gotten out of it except to go to bed at night. I don't even think it has been washed. A true fan of the game and the Celtics if there ever was one.

This morning I sat down to watch something I had recorded a few weeks ago on ESPN, a Books and Basketball 30 min episode before going to work. I saved it because it was about the 68-69 Russell Celtics season, just hadn't gotten to it given the season. Evan came in while I was watching it and was very curious, asking Dad all the right questions! He couldn't believe that the Celtics and Lakers used to play each other on a very regular basis many, many years ago. I taught him two things. First, "Do you see that Logo on your jersey, Evan?" Then I froze it on Jerry West. "That Logo is That guy!! His name is Jerry West and he played for the Lakers back in the 1960s and 1970s, many years ago when I was about your age. He played against the Celtics." Total amazement on his part. Secondly, "Evan, do you know who the greatest Celtic player was of all time?" Then I froze it on Bill Russell. "That guy is Bill Russell. He won 11 Championship with the Celtics, many of them at the expense of the Lakers." He loved that part of it! (Somehow, he knows about Larry Bird and I haven't shown him that era yet!!)

I think he is just starting to get a grip around the fact that there is more to Boston Celtic basketball than just the Kevin Garnett era. It was very cool to see the light go off in his head, though. This is AWESOME!! Thank all of you for helping me with this time, with my boys with you posts and your infinite knowlegde covering 6-7 decades as I pass the torch. Happy Holidays!! db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Next Generation of Celtics Fans Empty Re: Next Generation of Celtics Fans

Post by Sam Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:54 am

Your boys obviously have a very caring, thoughtful and knowledgeable dad. It's heartening to know that new generations will perpetuate the legacy and will hopefully carry with them an appreciation for Celtics history and tradition.

Happy holidays to your family.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:55 am

dbrown

You have your son(s) pointed in the right direction.

Right after the C's bowed out of the playoffs last season my son scrawled out a sign/banner that simply said

BOSTON CELTICS
NBA CHAMPS

and put it on his wall.

It's still there.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:23 pm

dbrown,

Like you we have a 5-year-old. That's Michael pictured to the right.

Mornings that bring me the biggest smile include those seeing him head out for the school bus wearing his Celtics shirt, and often-present Red Sox cap.

Like you I consider that we are raising the next generation of a great sports tradition. I'll never pick any favorite for him, although friends have asked; "what choice does he have?" Happily, he gets it and is a budding young fan.

Michael's capable now of finding the game and setting the DVR for me, so I know I'll never miss a game. The replay he enjoys seeing most is any Celtic player getting the ball and flushing a thundering dunk.

I'm glad you posted this. Here's to the next generation of fans!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Carrying on an appreciation of the Celtics is one of the most beautiful and natural parts of life. Anyone outside of Los Angeles that can't appreciate the Celtics probably doesn't like Mom or apple pie either. The choice of vehicle is left to the discretion and financial ability of the legal aged driver! This isn't a car commercial! Disclaimer -MD! (LOL)

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks, guys for the responses. Beat, I like your son's thinking. It will become a reality, just like the owners realizing naming the organization "Banner 17" was relevant but a little short sighted. Then, it actually happened and they wanted more than 17!! BTW, have they renamed it and if so what? I'm thinking "Banner 25X2020" for starters!! We'll throw Kobe (Wilt) another bone somewhere in there just so he can tie Shaq. Hey, it's the Christmas season!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:55 am

TO dbrown4: I wouldn't throw Kobe any bones. I would throw him an anchor, if we were on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific. Of course he would have to be tied to the other end on the rope or chain! MD.(just to weigh heavily on more than his mind) LOL

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down