Nick Young's 360 degree layup brick

+2
tjmakz
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Nick Young's 360 degree layup brick Empty Nick Young's 360 degree layup brick

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:22 am

Repeat after me, "There is only one Kobe on this team, there is only one Kobe on this team'.

Sportcenter material, but not in a good way.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Nick Young's 360 degree layup brick Empty Re: Nick Young's 360 degree layup brick

Post by tjmakz Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Bob,

That's a good one, but not nearly as good as this layup attempt against the Lakers last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhCQM-ql58g
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Nick Young's 360 degree layup brick Empty Re: Nick Young's 360 degree layup brick

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:46 pm

tjmakz wrote:Bob,

That's a good one, but not nearly as good as this layup attempt against the Lakers last season.

Hi TJ,

Wow, that was bad.  Not as circus, but bad. He must have really small hands. Maybe something about Young and the Lakers, huh, since he did that one against the Lakers and not with them? Just joking around here, stuff like this happens if you play and touch the ball enough times. They're like errors in baseball. Infielders have more errors than outfielders because they touch the ball more often.

I knew if I posted a thread about the Lakers you'd post something.  I suppose that makes sense.

The Lakers are in better shape than I thought they'd be in at this point.  The $64 question is not even how quickly can Kobe knock the rust off, but rather to what percentage of his 2012 level of play will he be able to return to one year older and coming off of an achilles surgery.

Quite frankly, it blows my mind that he's not done.  I mean really and truly done.  Maybe you know of one, but this is the first time I've ever heard of a professional athlete coming back from an achilles tear, in any sport. If he comes back to anything much more than 80% that would be really impressive.

Lakers and Celtics are both confounding their critics. We've both got a good shot at making the playoffs, and then anything can happen.

All our two franchises need is a foot in the door.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Bob

Dan Marino tore his and came back and played 6 more years. Most of them quite successfull.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Bob, since you think I'm now in the prediction business, I'm now predicting a Celtics-Lakers final this season. (Just watch. Someone will post a rebuttal, thinking I'm serious.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:35 pm

sam wrote:Bob, since you think I'm now in the prediction business, I'm now predicting a Celtics-Lakers final this season.  (Just watch.  Someone will post a rebuttal, thinking I'm serious.)

Sam

sam,

I don't think you're the second coming of Jeanne Dixon (talk about a one-trick pony), I just thought the skipping back and forth across the line between assumptions, which are the basis of predictions, and analyses, which are the product of known events and factors, dotted the line a bit.

If we say that the play of the Russell Celtics was winning basketball, and we say that we see evidence that the current Celtics are starting to play like the Russell Celtics, are we not predicting an improvement in the current Celtics based upon the assumption that the Russell ways will manifest themselves in more wins?

Semantics and sophistry, perhaps, but without a Game On thread to make me focus, what else is there to do with my time? I could start a few more threads, but I'm not sure that's possible.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:40 pm

sam wrote:Bob, since you think I'm now in the prediction business, I'm now predicting a Celtics-Lakers final this season.  (Just watch.  Someone will post a rebuttal, thinking I'm serious.)

Sam

Sam,

I think your prediction is spot on, but I'm not sure if the Lakers can make it out of the West in a tough 7 game WCF series against the Suns...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:58 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Bob,

Hi TJ,

Wow, that was bad.  Not as circus, but bad.  He must have really small hands.  Maybe something about Young and the Lakers, huh, since he did that one against the Lakers and not with them?  Just joking around here, stuff like this happens if you play and touch the ball enough times.  They're like errors in baseball.  Infielders have more errors than outfielders because they touch the ball more often.

I knew if I posted a thread about the Lakers you'd post something.  I suppose that makes sense.

The Lakers are in better shape than I thought they'd be in at this point.  The $64 question is not even how quickly can Kobe knock the rust off, but rather to what percentage of his 2012 level of play will he be able to return to one year older and coming off of an achilles surgery.

Quite frankly, it blows my mind that he's not done.  I mean really and truly done.  Maybe you know of one, but this is the first time I've ever heard of a professional athlete coming back from an achilles tear, in any sport.  If he comes back to anything much more than 80% that would be really impressive.

Lakers and Celtics are both confounding their critics.  We've both got a good shot at making the playoffs, and then anything can happen.

All our two franchises need is a foot in the door.

bob

Bob,

It's hard to say where Kobe will be this season.
Maybe 75% of last season?
From 1988 to 2011 18 NBA players ruptured their achilles.
7 of them never played another game...
Here's some stats concerning their performances after the achilles tear:

The overall performance of the 11 players who did return to basketball declined after their injury.

Cerynik's group used a metric called the "player efficiency rating," which takes into account stats such as an athlete's points, rebounds, assists and free throw attempts per game.

Following the injury, the eight players who returned for at least two seasons had an average efficiency rating of 11.69 - down more than four points from their pre-injury rating of 16.1.

In comparison, similarly rated basketball players of the same age - who did not suffer an Achilles injury - saw their efficiency rating decline by just over one point.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/27/us-nba-retire-achilles-tear-idUSBRE95Q0ZC20130627
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:09 pm

Whatever the semantics, basketball predictions have no place in my life. If they did, and if I had put my money where my convictions lie, perhaps I'd be better off financially. As far as the Celtics are concerned, I've never needed a prediction to enhance my pleasure in being a fan. On a more pragmatic basis, I've too frequently seen inaccurate predictions used on a basketball board, even years later, in attempts to demean someone's credibility. Sorry, not interested. Hope and belief is as far as I get, and that's more than enough for me.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:05 am

Morning Gentlemen,

Dominique Wilkins achilles tear.

Flash back to January 28, 1992 when as a 32 year old All-Star, Wilkins ruptured his own Achilles tendon in a game against the Philadelphia 76ers at the Omni. Wilkins was in the middle of another terrific season with averages of 28.1 points and 7.0 rebounds for the Hawks.

Wilkins talked recently about the injury with The USA Today's Sam Amick that it took him about nine months to fully recover and to feel like his old self.

"When I found out, when I tore mine, I was just depressed," Wilkins said. "It's the same thing Kobe said (on Friday night), 'How can it happen to me? Why now? Why me? When I'm playing so well and the team has a chance to get in the playoffs and I tear my Achilles tendon?' So once he gets over the frustration of this injury happening - go get surgery, and now you have to put together a plan for yourself to rehabilitate that injury."
Wilkins is a good inspiration for Bryant as Dominique returned the next season to play in 71 games and put up the third best scoring mark of his career at 29.9 points per game. Nique would go on to make two more All-Star Games and retire as a 39 year old.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:45 am

tardust wrote:Morning Gentlemen,

Flash back to January 28, 1992 when as a 32 year old All-Star, Wilkins ruptured his own Achilles tendon in a game against the Philadelphia 76ers at the Omni. Wilkins was in the middle of another terrific season with averages of 28.1 points and 7.0 rebounds for the Hawks.

Wilkins talked recently about the injury with The USA Today's Sam Amick that it took him about nine months to fully recover and to feel like his old self.

"When I found out, when I tore mine, I was just depressed," Wilkins said. "It's the same thing Kobe said (on Friday night), 'How can it happen to me? Why now? Why me? When I'm playing so well and the team has a chance to get in the playoffs and I tear my Achilles tendon?' So once he gets over the frustration of this injury happening - go get surgery, and now you have to put together a plan for yourself to rehabilitate that injury."
Wilkins is a good inspiration for Bryant as Dominique returned the next season to play in 71 games and put up the third best scoring mark of his career at 29.9 points per game. Nique would go on to make two more All-Star Games and retire as a 39 year old.

Here's some differences between Dominique and Kobe's achilles tears:
Dominique ruptured his when he had just turned 32.
Kobe was almost 35.
Dominique had played in 958 career games pre tear.
Kobe played in 1459 games pre tear.
By the time Dominique turned 35 like Kobe is now, his averages went down to 17.8 ppg, then 18.2 then 5 ppg in his last season.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:48 am

tjmakz wrote:

Kobe was almost 35.
By the time Dominique turned 35 like Kobe is now, his averages went down to 17.8 ppg, then 18.2 then 5 ppg in his last season.

Another, probably even bigger, difference is that 'Nique tore his in 1992 while Kobe tore his in 2012. Medical science has come a long, long way in 20 years. Kobe had that operation that put cartilage back into his knees. That was not available 20 years ago either.

It's also yet another reason why comparing eras makes less and less sense. Even 20 years ago, when MJ and 'Nique and Bird and Magic played, Kobe would be done now. Completely done.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:17 am

Nick Who? Nolte?

I liked him in 48 hours.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:58 am

[quote="bobheckler"]
tjmakz wrote:

Kobe was almost 35.

Another, probably even bigger, difference is that 'Nique tore his in 1992 while Kobe tore his in 2012.  Medical science has come a long, long way in 20 years.  Kobe had that operation that put cartilage back into his knees.  That was not available 20 years ago either.

It's also yet another reason why comparing eras makes less and less sense.  Even 20 years ago, when MJ and 'Nique and Bird and Magic played, Kobe would be done now.  Completely done.  

bob

Thx Bob, I was going to point out the same about the science part as well. Not being a doctor I am not sure how much the total amount of games has to do with it either. Age I could see but there was only approx 2 years difference. As far as PPG goes, most players do start seeing a drop off in their point average during the ages of 35-39 regardless of previous injuries or not.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down