Rajon Rondo: "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?"

4 posters

Go down

Has Stevens already exceeded expectations?

Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Vote_lcap33%Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 3 ]
Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Vote_lcap44%Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 4 ]
Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Vote_lcap11%Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Vote_lcap11%Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 9

Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Empty Rajon Rondo: "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?"

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:41 pm

WARNING!  Bleacher Report

Rajon Rondo on Brad Stevens: 'Who Doesn't Want to Play for a Coach Like That?'
BY ZACH BUCKLEY (NATIONAL NBA FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON DECEMBER 13, 2013

Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Hi-res-182603684-rajon-rondo-of-the-boston-celtics-poses-for-a-picture_crop_north
Brian Babineau/Getty Images

First-year Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens is still getting his feet wet in NBA waters, but he's already debunking several basketball myths.

Like the one about college coaches not being able to transition to the professional level:

Michael Pina @MichaelVPina
Follow
Remember that time Brad Stevens won Coach of the Year in his debut season on a unanimous vote?
10:11 AM - 8 Dec 2013

Or the one about how the Atlantic Division-leading (!) Celtics were definitely going to tank this season:

Baxter Holmes        ✔ @BaxterHolmes
Follow
Doc on Brad Stevens: "I think what he’s done a great job of is letting people know that this is not a rebuild year."
8:47 AM - 11 Dec 2013

Then there's my personal favorite—coaches can't reach enigmatic point guard Rajon Rondo.

The 27-year-old hasn't seen a minute of floor time since tearing the ACL in his right knee on Jan. 25. He's still working without a timetable for his return.

Yet the four-time All-Star and two-time assists champ has already bought into any and everything that Stevens is selling.

"I think he’s an easy coach to play for,” Rondo said, via Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald. “He’s very positive. He not a yeller. He’s always encouraging and moving on to the next play. Who wouldn’t want to play for a coach like that?"

Stevens no doubt helped make Rondo more receptive to his messages by reaching out to the point guard this summer. By the time media day rolled around, Rondo was gushing about the relationship he'd fostered with his new "best friend," via ESPN Boston's Chris Forsberg.

But his recent praise of Stevens is more than buddy-buddy talk.

He's seen what his coach can do. Stevens is a modern miracle worker.

How else can you explain Boston's No. 12 rank in defensive rating (101.3 points allowed per 100 possessions) with no rim protector on the roster? Or Jordan Crawford's rapid rise from uncontrollable chucker (12.7 points on 11.9 shots over his first three seasons) to poised, potent Eastern Conference player of the week?

Rondo knows he sees. His eyes aren't playing tricks on him.

Stevens is the perfect coach to oversee Boston's rebuilding project. And the right man to maximize Rondo's freakish athletic gifts.

*Statistics used courtesy of Basketball-Reference.com and NBA.com.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Empty Re: Rajon Rondo: "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?"

Post by k_j_88 Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:14 pm

I voted for the second option.

I thought the chemistry and buying into Stevens' system would have taken more time. But they've responded well.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Rajon Rondo:  "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?" Empty Re: Rajon Rondo: "Who Doesn't Want To Play For A Coach Like That?"

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Too soon to know how Stevens will do. Keeping players happy and everyone enjoying themselves is a plus - but if you bow out in the early rounds of the playoffs 3 or 4 times in a row - we'll see how people feel about him.

Winning isnt everything, its the only thing....at least in the long run. For now, happy with him and seems like his players are as well.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm thinking that the overall intent was "thus far" instead of a more arbitrary future projection.

Naturally, none of us know what will happen in the future. But as for my expectations, he has surpassed them in some respects, mainly due to how quick he is learning how the NBA game is played and won.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:27 pm

I am more sold on Stevens personality and ability to remain composed than I am with his game management.

I feel he waits far too long to get his starters back, he doesnt seem to use timeouts enough to break the momentum of the opponent (although he is getting better), and I havent been a fan of his offensive sets in general. These are however, all things that he will learn - as he clearly has the aptitude to learn new things and the humility to accept that he isnt above reproach.

Having said all that, getting players to buy into your system and respect / play hard for you - is the biggest part of what makes an NBA coach successful and in that regard he is well ahead of the curve.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:49 pm

mrkleen,

I suppose he is the antithesis of Doc who tended to play his starters (in particular Pierce) a bit too long.

As for Brad's offense, I think he's done a pretty decent job under the circumstances. They've, at least for the moment, solved the 1st quarter issue of starting off slow. They've shot well and seem to be pushing the pace more often.

But there are still too many times when the offense in general is too stagnant. Guys standing around and taking long jumpers instead of working the ball inside.

I just think he needs to somehow light a fire under his guys to get them running more. Boston is dangerous in transition because they have plenty of guys that can run the floor and Green is almost unstoppable on those plays.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:54 pm

k_j_88 wrote:mrkleen,

I suppose he is the antithesis of Doc who tended to play his starters (in particular Pierce) a bit too long.

As for Brad's offense, I think he's done a pretty decent job under the circumstances. They've, at least for the moment, solved the 1st quarter issue of starting off slow. They've shot well and seem to be pushing the pace more often.

But there are still too many times when the offense in general is too stagnant. Guys standing around and taking long jumpers instead of working the ball inside.

I just think he needs to somehow light a fire under his guys to get them running more. Boston is dangerous in transition because they have plenty of guys that can run the floor and Green is almost unstoppable on those plays.

KJ

He's also done a pretty good job of correcting their turnover problem. That was killing us for the opening few games more than anything else.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:03 pm

I have been impressed by his demeanor both on and off the court, and I feel this carries over to the guys on the team, all of them. He doesn't lose his cool, he stays calm, and is in control for the most part. His mind is open to suggestions, even encourages input from the guys during time outs. He is learning in his own way,by going to
The "Harvard" of the NBA, the Boston Celtics. What a wonderful position he has been put in. I think he has adapted fine to the pro game, he is just so damn smart!I

I never thought I would say this, but.......Doc who?

Rosalie

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down