Van Gundy: Rise Of Three-Pointer Eliminating Certain Segments Of NBA Players

4 posters

Go down

Van Gundy: Rise Of Three-Pointer Eliminating Certain Segments Of NBA Players Empty Van Gundy: Rise Of Three-Pointer Eliminating Certain Segments Of NBA Players

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:37 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/231127/Van-Gundy-Rise-Of-Three-Pointer-Eliminating-Certain-Segments-Of-NBA-Players

Van Gundy: Rise Of Three-Pointer Eliminating Certain Segments Of NBA Players
Dec 17, 2013 11:16 AM EST

The three-point shot has become a bigger and bigger part of the game over the past decade as more teams realize that the long two-pointer is the worst shot in the game and the math for the extra point makes complete sense.

Three-pointers account for 25.3 percent of all field goal attempts league wide, well above the 16 to 18 percent shares the NBA averaged for most of the mid-2000s.

"We shoot too many 3s now," says Jeff Van Gundy. "We are out of whack. The numbers people have analyzed the game correctly, but we are eliminating a certain segment of NBA players."

"As analytics people take control of more teams, you'd think there will be more and more of this," says Rod Thorn, the NBA's president of basketball operations. "Obviously, there are more 3s being taken now. But we're still in the infancy of this, in terms of deciding whether it is good or bad for the game. Remember, we've had people pontificating that the 3-point arc is bad for the game for as long as the 3 has been around."

Via Zach Lowe/Grantland

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm actually agreeing with something JVG said?  What's next?  A hail storm of frogs?  The sea starts boiling?  The dead rise?  Maybe the NBA should ask itself "is the reason why the center position has been eliminated as a position on the all-star ballot because there aren't any big men out there in the world or, because it has become so easy to hit 3s, why "waste" a possession running a play that only gets you 2 points underneath?"

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Van Gundy: Rise Of Three-Pointer Eliminating Certain Segments Of NBA Players Empty Re: Van Gundy: Rise Of Three-Pointer Eliminating Certain Segments Of NBA Players

Post by beat Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:48 am

I think a red, white, and blue ball would help.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Van Gundy: Rise Of Three-Pointer Eliminating Certain Segments Of NBA Players Empty Re: Van Gundy: Rise Of Three-Pointer Eliminating Certain Segments Of NBA Players

Post by sinus007 Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi,
Nothing unusual. Natural selection at work. Higher efficiency usually wins.
If you have a guy who can score from outside @ about 50% just jumping up and down vs a guy who has to go to the hoop and fight for his very life and scores @ about 50%. But the first guy brings 50% more points. The choice is obvious.
I wonder what if the NBA increases difficulty for 3-pt shot to stay abreast with ever increasing skills of 3pt shooters? Will it slow down extinction of the centers?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Logically speaking, there is no reason to take shots so far away from the basket. I think 3 pointers are encouraging laziness. Instead of guys moving, they just camp out on the 3 point line with a tent and marshmellows.

Ditch the line altogether, that's my vote.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down