Snapshot: Brooks in D-League

4 posters

Go down

Snapshot:  Brooks in D-League Empty Snapshot: Brooks in D-League

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:39 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4709871/snapshot-brooks-in-d-league

MarShon Brooks scored 36 points on 14-of-28 shooting in the Maine Red Claws' loss to Tulsa on Sunday. A glimpse at his game log over the first three games of his D-League assignment:

Snapshot:  Brooks in D-League 36t_bor_rou_sha

The departure of Courtney Lee opens up some minutes in Boston's backcourt. Those would seem likely to fall to newly acquired Jerryd Bayless, who could split ball-handling duties with Jordan Crawford in a reserve backcourt (once Rajon Rondo returns to game action).

But Brooks, the third-year guard acquired by Boston during the summer blockbuster with the Nets, could see an increased opportunity as well. He's played only 61 minutes in nine games this season, stuck deep on the depth chart behind guys like Lee. The guard spots are still crowded as Rondo nears a return, but Brooks, with a little confidence-booster and reps in the D-League, is more prepared for that opportunity when it comes.

The Red Claws play five more games over the next eight days, all out west, which could give Brooks even more game action, while keeping him close to the Celtics as they navigate the final four games of a five-game trip out west.

bob
MY NOTE:  These boxscores don't show how many points he gave up because he plays lazy defense with his feet.  Also, remember, he's playing against minor league players.  Still, he's racking up points, isn't he?  So, now we have three live wires on the team:  Crawford, Brooks and Bayless.  I predict a whole lotta schoolyard coming up.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Snapshot:  Brooks in D-League Empty Re: Snapshot: Brooks in D-League

Post by beat Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Bob

Shooting is shooting and he is shooting quite well (I realize the players might not play as good a defense as Brooks does Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy ) my tongue is stuck in my cheek.

Still it's gotta increase his value more playing there than watching the games on the Celtic bench.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:02 pm

beat wrote:Bob

Shooting is shooting and he is shooting quite well (I realize the players might not play as good a defense as Brooks does Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy ) my tongue is stuck in my cheek.

Still it's gotta increase his value more playing there than watching the games on the Celtic bench.

beat

beat,

Absolutely!  Put the ego aside and it's better to play than not play.  The fear is that you'll go down to the D-league and get forgotten about, the team will trade for someone who can do your job and you'll be stuck there.  It's perceived as a demotion, possibly permanent.

One of the advantages that Brooks has, and that Bradley had and he took it the right way when he was in Maine, is that he has an NBA contract and NOT a D-league one.  So, regardless of where he's scoring his points, he's still on the Celtics payroll and Danny can't just forget about him.  That should take some of the stress out of it and allow him to focus on getting his on-court rhythm back.

It appears to be working.

Also, now that Courtney's gone, there might be some more minutes at 2 for Brooks with the Celtics. The loser here, with the arrival of pseudo-point guard, live wire Jerryd Bayless, will be Phil Pressey. Now HE might get a permanent trip to Maine because his contract is so small he could be buried as a rounding error. I hope not, I like Pressey, but he's not scoring enough. The offense is more coherent with him in there, he plays sticky defense but he has to generate more offense, either directly or indirectly.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Bob,

I think most of Pressey's stickiness on defense occurs when the opponent is bringing the ball upcourt. From the perimeter to the basket, I believe he gets picked off too easily and fairly often is trying to catch up—frequently resulting in his committing a foul. He has more personal fouls per minute than any other Celtic guard.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Sam,

"Pressing" Pressey works for me in that case.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down