Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block?

+5
Sam
Outside
beat
mrkleen09
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Should Jordan Crawford Be Considered Part of Our Core Going Forward?

Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Vote_lcap0%Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Vote_lcap22%Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Vote_lcap78%Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Vote_rcap 78% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 9

Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Empty Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block?

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Warning!  Bleacher Report!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1912572-will-jordan-crawford-be-next-man-up-on-boston-celtics-trade-block

Will Jordan Crawford Be Next Man Up on Boston Celtics Trade Block?
BY DAN FAVALE (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON JANUARY 6, 2014

Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Hi-res-460874859-jordan-crawford-of-the-boston-celtics-handles-the-ball_crop_north
Layne Murdoch Jr./Getty Images
Jerryd Bayless' arrival is only the beginning for the Boston Celtics, but it could spell the end for Jordan Crawford.

Never underestimate general manager Danny Ainge. Never. Ever. He won't be lulled into a false sense of security because his Celtics are exceeding expectations. While we're all looking the other way, he'll strike.

That's exactly what he's done with Courtney Lee's contract, according to a report from ESPN's Marc Stein:

Marc Stein        ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
Follow
Trade call on Boston's looming acquisition of Jerryd Bayless for Courtney Lee, I'm told, is being scheduled for Monday. Deal is happening
2:39 PM - 5 Jan 2014

Unloading Lee, who has two years worth $11-plus million remaining on his contract after this year, is no small feat. Bringing in Bayless also fills a hole at the point guard position, ultimately saving Boston money while setting the stage for more departures.

Crawford's Trade Value

Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Hi-res-459819249-head-coach-brad-stevens-and-jordan-crawford-of-the_crop_exact
Steve Babineau/Getty Images

Crawford has, for the most part, thrived under rookie head coach Brad Stevens, averaging 13.7 points and a career-high 5.7 assists per game.

In Rajon Rondo's absence, Crawford has been something of a surrogate point guard, a reformed chucker frequently tasked with running the offense in between inefficient relapses. But while his shot selection—much like milk within a day or two of its expiration date—remains questionable, this is still the best version of him we've ever seen.

Shouldering more responsibility has elevated his ceiling, even if only slightly. Stevens has given him an identity and the means to grow even further.

"He's done a good job," Stevens said, via USA Today's Sean Highkin. "Like anybody else, he has his moments of things he can improve on, but he's really done a good job."

Once on track to become a J.R. Smith-Nick Young amalgamation, Crawford is swiftly developing into a fertile combo guard capable of quarterbacking the offense of a team willing to endure pithy stints of quicksilver decision-making.

Those unaware of Crawford's erratic on-court past will see that as an insult, when it's really the ultimate form of praise.

Other teams have noticed his improvement, too. Before Boston set its sights on Bayless—or rather, pawning Lee off on the Memphis Grizzlies—Crawford commanded the Miami Heat's attention, according to the New York Daily News' Mitch Lawrence:

Miami is looking to deal for a young wing player who can score and take some of the load off Dwyane Wade. A few GMs have identified Boston’s Jordan Crawford as a player the Heat will go after in the coming days/weeks.

Not surprisingly, Miami's interest hasn't spearheaded serious negotiations. The Heat don't have much, if anything, in the way of tangible assets. They also don't have a first-round draft pick to trade until 2019.

Ira Winderman @IraHeatBeat
Follow
ESPN report of Heat seeking trade for backcourt depth makes sense, but the greater issue is what Joel Anthony actually could/would fetch.
7:35 AM - 6 Dec 2013

Funny that we should even mention a first-rounder. One year ago, such an asking price would've seemed insane. But now, nearly halfway through 2013-14, Crawford has shown enough promise to warrant an actual return from an outfit—not Miami—with draft picks to spare.

Why Trade Crawford?

Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Hi-res-456116593-jordan-crawford-of-the-boston-celtics-laughs-on-the_crop_exact
Brian Babineau/Getty Images

Boston tried to tank.

Yes, "tried." Past tense. But the Celtics, through no fault of their own, have failed.

The Eastern Conference is horrible. Worse than anyone expected. Trading Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry for draft picks and fill-ins should've ensured the Celtics would lose in excess. Instead, it's left them within one game of the Eastern Conference's final playoff spot.

Without Rondo.

That kind of failure incites one of two actions: 1) Ainge could attempt to reboot his tank job gone mediocre or 2) the Celtics could try for a playoff berth now.

No. 2 is the easiest play. Wait for Rondo to return, then embrace glorified mediocrity, keeping this roster intact. Simple. Easy. Safe.

But rebuilding isn't about playing it safe.

Boston, Crawford included, is better than expected. If the Celtics wish to remain in the hunt for a top-seven pick, dealing productive components like Crawford makes sense.

With Bayless in tow, they're no longer desperate for the playmaker Crawford's become. Not with Rondo still on the roster and angling for a comeback this season.

Beyond unofficially tanking, Crawford is playing himself out of Boston's offseason price range. He'll enter restricted free agency this summer, at which point he's bound to receive an offer more lucrative than the $3.2 million he's slated to make next season.

Aware that rebuilding doesn't allow for inexplicable expenditures, the Celtics aren't likely to meet Crawford's market value. As good as he's been, he's not someone they can build around.

If his departure is inevitable, the Celtics would be smart, and presumably inclined, to capitalize off it sooner rather than lose him for nothing later.

Nothing Definite

Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Hi-res-455226305-jordan-crawford-of-the-boston-celtics-argues-with-a_crop_exact
Jared Wickerham/Getty Images

Someone else will become available in Boston, but who?

Conventional wisdom suggests it will be Crawford, who's generated interest and is now expendable, for lack of a better word. But there are other ways the Celtics can exercise their new flexibility at point guard.

For starters, they could stand pat, fancying themselves legitimate Eastern Conference threats. Lee was averaging under 17 minutes per game and wasn't an integral part of their system anyway, so swapping him for a reserve like Bayless makes them deeper and therefore, more dangerous in a conference where watchable basketball is mythical.

Next to Avery Bradley and Rondo, Crawford and Bayless make for a dynamic backcourt rotation. We also must remember Rondo won't be playing extensively upon return, rendering additional weapons necessary regardless of Boston's collective state.

"I’m not coming back playing 38 minutes a night," Rondo said, per the Boston Herald's Steve Bulpett. "I will have an impact on the game, but not like I used to have when I first come back."

Let's not ignore the elephant in Boston's locker room either: Rondo's future.

Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Hi-res-187692339-rajon-rondo-of-the-boston-celtics-works-out-with_crop_exact
Brian Babineau/Getty Images

The Celtics have done nothing to suggest they'll trade Rondo, despite deluded overtures from teams like the New York Knicks. Moving Lee and nabbing Bayless, however, could change things.

There are a number of sticking points in any potential Rondo deal, the most important of which is clearing Boston's books of any lengthy pacts. Until recently, Lee was one of those long-term contracts. With him out of the picture, the Celtics can essentially force Gerald Wallace's albatross deal upon any interested team.

Bayless also makes it so Boston can accept any number of different packages. If the Celtics elect to retain Crawford in any deal, it negates the need (not preference) for them to land another point guard in return.

That's getting ahead of our ourselves while also ignoring the obvious: Bayless' arrival could have no impact on Crawford's immediate future. It could strictly be a salary dump, designed to maximize Boston's financial tensility.

More likely, it's some combination of both: an attempt from the Celtics to shed salary while positioning themselves for another, more tank-friendly move.

"I definitely want to be here," Crawford said of remaining in Boston, via Highkin. "But it's the NBA. You never know what's going to happen."

If the Celtics' primary goal is to continue their rebuild, we have some idea of what's going to happen.

Someone else will be moved, and with Bayless in green and Rondo on track to return this season, that someone could be Crawford.

*All stats used courtesy of Basketball-Reference, and all salary information obtained via ShamSports unless otherwise noted.

bob
MY NOTE: A not-too-crazy-nor-stupid article by B/R.  What a shock.  Thank God he didn't launch into a "when-not-if Boston trades Rondo" rant like Bill Simmons.  Bottom line:  Crawford's value has never been higher and, in my opinion, never will be higher.  That's because he won't have the freedom under another coach like he has with Stevens, he can't be projected to "bloom further if he was given more minutes" because he's already playing fairly heavy minutes and we don't know how he'll do coming off the bench with reduced minutes.  Is/should Crawford be part of our core going forward?  Should we want/expect Danny to sign him to a long-term contract?  If not, he's gone, because when you're rebuilding you sign players to long term contracts so they can grow together.  When you're "built", you can sign bench role players to one-year contracts, like we did with Eddie House and Posey.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Empty Re: Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block?

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:won't have the freedom under another coach like he has with Stevens, he can't be projected to "bloom further if he was given more minutes" because he's already playing fairly heavy minutes and we don't know how he'll do coming off the bench with reduced minutes.  

Totally disagree with this premise. You have a guy who is not a PG - who has been forced to make the best of it, and he has done a great job.

You cannot judge Crawford's ceiling under Stevens until you pair him with Bayless or Pressey at point, letting him play his natural 2 guard position.

Last year he was too inconsistent for many people out here and so they wanted him cut loose.
This year, he has taken over the PG role (toughest job on the team by far) and done a more than adequate job - yet some still want to cut him loose?
Poor guy just cant win around here.  Rolling Eyes 
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block? Empty Re: Is Jordan Crawford Next Up On The Trading Block?

Post by beat Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:19 pm

Mrkleen & Bob

Perhaps, but I do agree that his value has never been higher should we look to trade him. Not sure it will go higher if/when he goes back to his more "normal" 2 slot either.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:50 pm

Sorry, I voted option 3. The way you worded it, I couldn't help myself.

Realistically, I can see multiple arguments here. I agree with MrKleen that Crawford has done a very good job filling in out of position at the point. I'm inclined to think that, with Rondo back, he could be a serviceable backup point guard (which the C's will need for a while until Rondo is really back) and instant offense off the bench at his more natural 2 guard spot. I like him in that role better than, say, Jason Terry.

On the other hand, his stock is probably at a high water mark, and if a trade opens up that brings in a significant piece and the price is losing Crawford, then I wouldn't say no. But I wouldn't do a lateral move, which is what the Lee-Bayless trade looks like.

Overall, no one is untradeable, but Crawford has shown he can be a valuable member of the Celtics going forward, and I sure wouldn't part with him easily.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:20 pm

"Boston tried to tank." Screw you, whatever a Dan Favale is. But at least he's sane enough to be able to state the obvious otherwise.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Very simple, trade him now and get some value.  He does not have a high BB IQ although he does make up with the lack thereof with his physical skills.  Not a guy I want in the lineup in game 7 of the NBA Finals.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:58 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:won't have the freedom under another coach like he has with Stevens, he can't be projected to "bloom further if he was given more minutes" because he's already playing fairly heavy minutes and we don't know how he'll do coming off the bench with reduced minutes.  

Totally disagree with this premise.  You have a guy who is not a PG - who has been forced to make the best of it, and he has done a great job.

You cannot judge Crawford's ceiling under Stevens until you pair him with Bayless or Pressey at point, letting him play his natural 2 guard position.

Last year he was too inconsistent for many people out here and so they wanted him cut loose.  
This year, he has taken over the PG role (toughest job on the team by far) and done a more than adequate job - yet some still want to cut him loose?  
Poor guy just cant win around here.   Rolling Eyes 

Crawford stands as good of a chance of being traded as anyone on this team. That's just the way it is. He has value as a trading chip.

Crawford has had some spectacular games this year. I'd say he's playing a great deal better than last year. However, I notice that his play is a see-sawing effect. He plays spectacular then he regresses and vice-versa. Can Crawford get better? Who knows? Probably. But if he can, I doubt he can advance his game to a significant extent. I don't think he has a very high ceiling as a player. I think he's a role player, a guy that can come in and inject offense and energy and run the offense for stretches. He is what he is. I think Boston would be wise to retain him, though.

Courtney Lee played much better this year than he did last year. Does that mean he's untouchable? Of course not since he's obviously been traded. Bass could be traded as well, same with Green. There's only 2 players that I don't see Danny Trader shipping off: Rajon Rondo and Jared Sullinger. Everyone else stands a chance of being moved.

This team is far from a finished product, and many of the guys we are rooting for will not be along for the ride the whole way. That just isn't conceivable with what they are trying to build.

If they decide to keep him I have no complaints, and if they decide to trade him I won't be bent out of shape over it. But I would rather they keep him because they'll need a guy like him.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:56 pm

No one said that Crawford was untouchable.

I said that claiming he has reached his ceiling is false....especially when he has already turned in seasons where he averaged 16 ppg and 15ppg playing alongside inferior players.

Trade him if you see his value as high - that is fine. But dont use the lame excuse that he has reached his ceiling.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:08 pm

Another untouchable at this juncture is Bradley.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:14 pm

112288 wrote:Another untouchable at this juncture is Bradley.

I'd throw him in that mix if his contract situation wasn't up in the air. But Ainge has to be thinking he has to find a way to retain him. A 2 way guard like him is important.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:13 am

k_j_88 wrote:
112288 wrote:Another untouchable at this juncture is Bradley.

I'd throw him in that mix if his contract situation wasn't up in the air. But Ainge has to be thinking he has to find a way to retain him. A 2 way guard like him is important.

KJ

Ainge has a way, it's called restricted free agency. That works in the favor of the current team to keep their own free agents.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:55 am

mrkleen09 wrote:No one said that Crawford was untouchable.

I said that claiming he has reached his ceiling is false....especially when he has already turned in seasons where he averaged 16 ppg and 15ppg playing alongside inferior players.

Trade him if you see his value as high - that is fine.  But dont use the lame excuse that he has reached his ceiling.  

I am not surprised a guy who likes to shoot scores a lot with a bad team.

Crawford's main issue has been that he throws up gawd awful shots at the WORST time.
maybe he's getting better now......but his deal is up and if Ainge can get value for him now (while his value is probably as high as ever) , then it make sense to do it.

Remember less than a year ago Washington DUMPED him for Collins and and an Injured Barbosa..he's SKY high compared to that now.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:31 am

kdp59 wrote:

Remember less than a year ago Washington DUMPED him for Collins and and  an Injured Barbosa..he's SKY high compared to that now.

^ That

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:46 am

kdp59 wrote:Remember less than a year ago Washington DUMPED him for Collins and and  an Injured Barbosa..he's SKY high compared to that now.

The Crawford deal had little to do with his talent level, it was a SALARY DUMP by a team that was out of it, to a team that was still in it and needed some instant offense off the bench. Very similar to what DA just did with Courtney Lee.

Washington is an awful team that has been mismanaged since the Elvin Hayes / Gene Shue days. Pointing to one of the few moves the made that actually makes sense from a GM / business stand point isnt strengthening your case in the slightest.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:50 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:

The Crawford deal had little to do with his talent level, it was a SALARY DUMP by a team that was out of it, to a team that was still in it and needed some instant offense off the bench.  Very similar to what DA just did with Courtney Lee.  

Memphis will not make the playoffs this year. Too many other teams playing better ball right now and they have been heading in the wrong direction since moving Rudy gay and firing Hollins.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Mrkleen, I agree with you. There's no way anyone could predict (oh how I hate that word) what Crawford's ceiling might be, because he's not currently playing the position at which his ceiling will ultimately be evaluated. I happen to believe that throwing him in at PG this season could be the best thing that ever happened to his ceiling as a SG. There's a certain discipline one must have at the PG position, based on the fact that—even if you're a shoot-first PG—you're probably relied on more than anyone else on your team to place ball distribution high on your list of options during any given possession.

While he may not have completely embraced a ball distribution mentality at PG, I feel that his experience at that position could very well alter his shooting conscience as a SG, as well as offering successful ball distribution as an alternative to hero ball shooting in terms of personal gratification. In other words, I hope (for his sake, if not the Celtics' sake) that his stint at PG will make him a more discriminating SG.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down