Celtics’ Bogans Frustrated With Lack of Minutes

3 posters

Go down

Celtics’ Bogans Frustrated With Lack of Minutes Empty Celtics’ Bogans Frustrated With Lack of Minutes

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:19 pm

HOOPS WORLD

By Jessica Camerato

NBA Writer and Columnist

Keith Bogans rang in the New Year by staying late after practice to put in extra work at the Boston Celtics facility. The last player left on the court, he pulled up for three-pointers from various points on the floor, knocked down free throws and refused to exit until he nailed a long jumper from the sidelines.

The 33-year-old guard has spent this season as an onlooker during games. He hopes that will change in 2014 and the remainder of his 11th NBA season.

“I just want to play,” Bogans said. “I want to play basketball. I want to get off the bench.”

Bogans was traded to the Celtics from the Brooklyn Nets last summer in the deal that included Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. He became part of an already-crowded backcourt with limited opportunities for playing time. The Celtics opened the season with seven guards on their roster, including the injured Rajon Rondo. In spite of the makeup of the team, Bogans thought he would see minutes.

“I had no idea that I would be in this position,” Bogans said. “[My expectations were] that I would play.”

Once training camp wrapped up and the regular season got underway, Bogans said, he realized his role would be different than in the past. He has appeared in just four games this season for a total of 28 minutes. He has not played since November 30 and is scoreless thus far.

This is unfamiliar territory for the veteran who has a career average of 21.7 minutes per game, including 19.0 minutes and 23 starts last season with the Nets. With the exception of the 2011-12 season in which he was shut down by an ankle injury, Bogans’ previous season-low was 59 game appearances.

“[I miss] everything,” Bogans said. “Everything. Imagine 11 years and just this. … It would not matter [how many minutes] as long as I was on the court playing. It wouldn’t matter. I’ve got more DNPs [this season] than I have in 10 years.”

This season, Bogans is earning $5,058,198, a pay increase that helped the Celtics – Nets trade work. Many would argue that is more than enough money to put a smile on someone’s face regardless of playing time. Even though Bogans’ salary is significantly higher than he has earned in the past, he views it differently.

“Money is good, but if you’re not happy doing what you love to do… I want to play basketball,” Bogans said. In response to whether or not he is happy, Bogans continued, “The fact that I’m not playing, no. But put people in my position and see what would happen. It’s easier said than done. So anybody can say yeah I’m happy, I’m getting money, but come on now.”

Bogans prefers to stay focused on basketball and will “ride it out” instead of making waves within the Celtics organization. He does not have intentions of addressing his role with team personnel or requesting a trade.

“It is what it is,” Bogans said. “I’ve never been the guy who goes up and starts to complain. That’s not my personality.”

Head coach Brad Stevens is not put off by Bogans’ desire to play more often. He likes the veteran’s hunger after all these years in the league. While Stevens points out he can only put five players on the court at once and ultimately not everyone will get in the game, he is glad to have someone on his team who has a strong passion in spite of a decrease in minutes.

“We have [had conversations],” Stevens said of Bogans. “But at the same time, he’s going to prepare for his time and I’d be disappointed in him if he wasn’t a little bit antsy to play and excited or really wanted to increase his role. That would be disappointing from a competitive standpoint so I’m glad he feels that way.”

When it comes to projecting whether or not Bogans will receive more minutes this season, Stevens said, “I hope so, personally. At the same time, we’re really deep at that spot. But you never know how things are going to work themselves out. He’s a pro, he’s always ready, and he’s a proven guy on a winning team to play his role exceptionally well. And so I trust in him.”

This season Bogans has shifted his contributions from the box score to the sidelines and locker room. He is one of the Celtics veteran go-to’s, available for advice or suggestions to his teammates. During games he sits next to the coaches and is vocal on the bench to cheer on his team and provide feedback.

This support and sportsmanship has not gone unnoticed. Stevens has been impressed by Bogans’ relationships and how he practices what he preaches about staying ready at all times.

“I think Keith is a guy that obviously can play for us,” said Stevens. “He’s at a stacked position on our team and he’s also been able to impact our team in other ways, whether it was in practice or during the games or just individually in talking to guys. He’s a guy that’s been there and done that and he stays ready for his time. I really feel like he’s a guy that would take advantage of that.”

Bogans enjoys his teammates and likes being part of the younger players’ development. He has had a relationship with Rondo since the point guard entered the league due to their University of Kentucky ties and has helped MarShon Brooks since his rookie year on the Nets.

Nonetheless, it is still challenging for him to watch others play knowing his name most likely will not get called.

“It’s tough,” Bogans said. “Game days are my toughest days. At least I’ll get in at practice. I can run up and down the court, play a little bit at practice. But, come on, you’ve been playing basketball for 10 years and just this year they just tell you you’re not playing? I’ve never not played in this league before. This is the first time ever. And it’s not like I’ve wandered into not playing. I’ve just not had the opportunity from day one. … I don’t mind cheering for my teammates. I love those guys, a great group of young guys. I love supporting them and cheering for them, but the fact that I’m not going to get in the game is tough.”

He doesn’t let his personal feelings affect those around him, however. Teammates new and old have been impressed and impacted by Bogans’ presence and demeanor in spite of his limited minutes.

“He’s a great teammate,” said Gerald Wallace, who previously played with Bogans on the Nets and Charlotte Bobcats. “He’s a great person, friend. I’ve known him for over 10 years. This is our third team playing together. He’s competitive and he plays the right way. He plays to benefit his teammates. He tries to make everyone around him better. I just think opportunities are kind of short for him. … I think he’s handling it pretty good. He’s always been a professional. I think he always keeps himself in great shape, he works out and he prepares himself every night whether he plays or not. He always knows it’s a matter of time in the NBA when you can be called on. I think he prepares himself well to be ready when the time comes.”

Rookie Phil Pressey said he “couldn’t ask for a better teammate” and describes Bogans as someone who is constantly trying to help others. Even though they have vastly different levels of experience, they are able to relate on the importance of preparation. Bogans’ experiences have helped Pressey through the NBA learning curve.

“Some of the things I’m going through, he goes through,” said Pressey. “You know he wants to play. He’s been playing his whole career. He stays positive, always talking, and just always staying ready.”

There are 51 games remaining in the Celtics regular season schedule and no guarantees Bogans’ role will increase. Once Rondo returns from his ACL injury, backcourt minutes will become even scarcer. If an opportunity becomes available, Bogans will be ready. If not, he will continue on with the same approach he has taken to this point.

“I can still shoot, I can still do everything that I’ve been able to do,” Bogans said. “This year, like I said, I haven’t had the opportunity to. Am I going to stop working and being a professional? No. It’s just a short period of time.”

Whether it is this season or in those ahead, he believes he still has plenty of basketball left in him.

“There’s going to be more than next season,” said Bogans. “Trust me. Trust me".

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Bogans Frustrated With Lack of Minutes Empty Re: Celtics’ Bogans Frustrated With Lack of Minutes

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Ah, the Courtney Lee approach.

If he thinks this is going to get him moved, he's got another thing coming.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Bogans Frustrated With Lack of Minutes Empty Re: Celtics’ Bogans Frustrated With Lack of Minutes

Post by Sam Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:00 am

He's very likely to be on the move sooner rather than later.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down