Celtics Stat of the Day, 12/26/09

4 posters

Go down

Celtics Stat of the Day, 12/26/09 Empty Celtics Stat of the Day, 12/26/09

Post by Sam Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:07 am

Today's stat deals with Tony Allen's addition to the rotation.

I've always been an observer of pace in basketball. By "pace," I do NOT necessarily mean fast breaks. I also refer to factors such as a team's ability to push the ball into the forecourt even when in halfcourt mode; the propensity for the team to shoot a little earier in the shot clock, and the team's ability to force the other team into "hurry-up" basketball.

One rough way to compare the pace from game to game is to examine the number of scoring opportunities the team has. In order to do this, I like to add the team's field goal attempts to half of the team's free throw attempts (to put free throws on approximately the same footing as field goals). In other words, I count one field goal attempt or two free throw attempts as one "scoring opportunity."

Before Tony played this season, the Celtucs were averaging 88.00 "scoring opportunities" per game. In the eight games since Tony joined the rotation, the Celts have averaged 93.44 scoring opportunities per game. In only the first of these eight games involving Tony has the number of Celtics scoring opportunities dipped (very slightly) below the "pre-Tony" level.

I'm certainly not attributing the 6.2% increase in scoring opportunities per game solely to Tony's presence. For example, I believe Rondo has picked up the pace in general. The team's rebounding has improved, ostensibbly creating more scoring opportunities. Notwithstanding these considerations, the more we see of Tony's finishes in transition, the more reasonable it seems that Tony is at least a factor in a more vigorous pace being executed by the
Celtics.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Celtics Stat of the Day, 12/26/09 Empty Re: Celtics Stat of the Day, 12/26/09

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:36 am

Great point Sam,I appreciate the stats,but my eyes tell me TA's speed on both ends,his speed especially combined with Rondos,is an element that makes this team better by adding another dimension of versatility......another weapon to a stocked team is huge as is Tonys 1 turnover in his last 4 games.Now when Ray or Pierce rests we get even faster,I like it.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:57 am

Cow, that's what the Jones Boys were all about. When the first team went out, those two amped up the speed and the defensive destruction. If that had been their only schtick, it would have been bearable for other teams. But that was just one of numerous little advantages that, combined, caused major devastation.

That's why those people (and teams) who simplify the game to something like Kobe versus Lebron are missing so much. And it's also why smart teams and smart coaches can adjust to an occasional piece of bac luck by tuning potential negatives into positives.

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:11 pm

Sam

I think some fans had given up on TA. But the Celtics certainly did not give up on him and we can see why.

While his on the ball defense at multiple positions is an important factor, his ability to get out on the break gives the team another dimension to deal with. When Rondo and TA are in the game you have (1) two defenders that just go after it and (2) the most dangerous players for the Celtics in the open court.

In that respect these players have similar skills. I cannot wait to see Rondo run with both TA and Daniels. That won't be uptempo basketball, that will be fast break basketball where they will finish on the break.

These additional scoring opportunities have a very positive cumulative impact on the team.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:41 pm

Sam wrote:I'm certainly not attributing the 6.2% increase in scoring opportunities per game solely to Tony's presence. For example, I believe Rondo has picked up the pace in general.
I'd be inclined to attribute the lion's share of that increase to Tony. I saw numerous times earlier in the season when Rondo would attempt to push the ball but would have to slow down and bring it out since no one else could keep up with him. Since Tony can get out there with Rondo, Rondo is much more likely to take advantage of those situations that he couldn't before. It's no secret that the Celtics lack athleticism, and Tony obviously helps in that department. The opportunities with Rondo will be there.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down