Sam
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2014 NBA Draft Big Board 1.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 NBA Draft Big Board 1.0

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:38 pm

tjmakz wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
sam wrote:I've only read about Willie Cauley-Stein and haven't seen him play—always a dangerous (if not ridiculous) way to evaluate a draft prospect.

The consensus seems to be that he's very strong ("opponents just bounce off him"), mobile (especially laterally) and a great shock-blocker.  If I had learned that he's a great rebounder, I would have been very interested in spite of his limited offense.  He appears to be just a mediocre rebounder, which is one reason why he'd be better off spending another year at Kentucky without having to share rebounding duties with Randle.

Willie has been described as a "one-trick pony," with that trick involving prolific shot-blocking ability.  I guess I'd prefer at least two tricks: rim protection and rebounding ability.  I believe the rest can be worked on while the league becomes familiar with him as a true intimidator.

Sam

he's got Thabeet written all over him, with less impact.....pass IMHO.

nbadraft.net has pushed Cauley-Stein back to the 2015 draft.
He is listed as 20th in that draft.
Is he better then Fab Melo? Yes.
But as of right now, he does not have NBA talent.
He does have the body to play in the NBA.

how do you know, he can't rebound or score, just like Fab, in the Cuse zone Fab did some good?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:38 pm

I wonder whether the fact that Syracuse plays a zone deters many of the better high school players from committing to the Orange. Not that it's having any serious impact on the success of their teams. But, if I were a star high school player (I need a couple of seconds to process that thought), I'd rather attend another good school that plays basketball more in the mold of the pros.

Maybe Beat would have some insights into that one.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:49 am

well.....if the Celtics want a center, doesn't look like they will find one in this draft ( unless you think those ping pong balls fall the Celtics way for once).

so that leaves trading for one or signing a FA.

from ESPN these are the UFA's at center next year (that's IF we even had the cap room to sign one):

N. Mohammed
J. O'Neal
R. Hollins
C. Kaman
J. Hill
G. Oden
J. Smith
G. Stiemsma
C. Aldrich
S. Hawes
A. Gray
A. Biedrins
M. Gortat

I don't any of them match what you are looking for as a rim protector STARTING NBA center.

so that leaves us with the option of trades, and the ones bandied about are

Asik
Saunders
Monroe (not a rim protector)

one guy who would be a BIG risk, but fits the bill would be J. McGee. though I doubt Ainge would take the risk with him.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 am

sam wrote:I wonder whether the fact that Syracuse plays a zone deters many of the better high school players from committing to the Orange.  Not that it's having any serious impact on the success of their teams.  But, if I were a star high school player (I need a couple of seconds to process that thought), I'd rather attend another good school that plays basketball more in the mold of the pros.

Sam

The old 2-3 zone. What an enigma. JB will never change till he dies or retires and not sure which will happen first. I'd love to see him change it up especially when things are not going well but............it is what it is and I believe it has cost him some wins and perhaps even another championship or 2.

That said looking back over the teams he's had and the bigs (centers) who did well in the NBA Rony Siekaly had a decent career. So did Danny Shayes. He has always been able to recruit very good players that seem to conform to his coaching style much more ethen he coaching to their strengths. For all the years he has coached 36 of them, not one of his players have made it to the basketball Hall of fame......yet.

I really don't think that top notch players turn down SU due to the zone but rather are they looking for the chance for starting and getting playing time only to move on in a year or perhaps 2. Melo Pearl and a host of long forwards ( Warrack) left early. JB uses as short a bench as anyone most years and this year is no exception with him really only going 7 deep. And with Fair gone and also perhaps Grant and Ennis ( although both need more seasoning for sure ) possible lottery picks he'll be in the rebuilding mode soon enough.

A chance to play for a top national program and in front of 30,000 + fans pretty much sells itself regardless of the style of play on the floor, but it certainly is a factor for the bigs moving to the next level.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:48 pm

sam wrote:I wonder whether the fact that Syracuse plays a zone deters many of the better high school players from committing to the Orange.  Not that it's having any serious impact on the success of their teams.  But, if I were a star high school player (I need a couple of seconds to process that thought), I'd rather attend another good school that plays basketball more in the mold of the pros.

Sam

Sam,

The knock on Syracuse and its ability to produce NBA players with staying power has been partially on what skills shake loose from the 2-3 but more so on the type of player Jim Boeheim recruits to play in it.  Jimmy B has generally recruited players that are more offensively gifted, a direct lead-in to his vaunted zone defense which is fairly easy to teach and play.  To be fair his teams traditionally execute it incredibly well.  Many of the SYC recruits since '76 have big urban area backgrounds and, unfortunately, upbringings that allowed them to spend time on their game and not much else.  To be polite, and not get into a discussion we shouldn't, Boeheim is not known for recruiting players with the type of intellect that might help them transition well into the professional ranks.  
Living here an hour west of Syracuse we've had several locals recruited by The Orange, perhaps the most notable being my buddies neighbor, the now retired and living well John Wallace, who typifies the offense first player that often ends up at Syracuse.  Interestingly, some of the brightest and best HS recruits from the Greater Syracuse area have ended up elsewhere.  For some recruits the issue is a mid-sized cold weather city without the entertainment possibilities found around bigger cities or the climate of the original ACC schools.  The campus itself is not among the more picturesque settings, being intertwined with the downtown Syracuse area and lacking a traditional campus look and feel.

All that being said, Boeheim has done a great job with the program, and the defense doesn't seem to keep recruits away as much as other factors.  It's a great school, turning out many talented, successful graduates, most notably currently housing my nephew, Andrew, Beat's son and Michael Jordan's daughter.

As for our draft interests, this is a draft that looks like it will be loaded with promising but raw 19-year old guards, and very light on NBA-ready bigs. Depending on where we end up picking, and if we're looking for someone to quickly nail down the small forward spot, Rodney Hood from Duke could be our guy.  If we're looking for our center, and one who can block shots and is picking up the pace on the defensive end, we could go with Willie Cauley-Stein from Kentucky, although don't expect much offense there.  I make those two among our most likely, guessing that Embiid goes first to someone else and that Parker and Wiggins slide due to factors such as showing a need for a lot more work before they're ready (Wiggins) or maybe being at their top potential now (Parker).  If we're not convinced Bradley is the long-term answer at 2, and we want to go with a more mature (read; sophomore) player with a scoring touch, I could see us taking Marcus Smart from OK State or Gary Harris from Michigan State.

[My annual disclaimer that I never hit who we actually end up drafting goes here.]

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:21 pm

Good posts everyone. I learned a lot about Syracuse basketball culture under JB. And, kdp, your list and thoughts support my long-held theory that trade would give the Celtics the best odds on finding a reliable center for the future.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Another factor.... Marcus posted this on his FB page, on national signing day.

"When people wonder why Syracuse football can't sign a 4 or 5-star recruit, look no further. "

2014 NBA Draft Big Board 1.0 - Page 2 Syracu10

Winters can be brutal too. And given the choice of playing in the warm south laying on a beach vs coming up to this.............

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Aw c'mon beat; you get more snow than that at your place!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:43 pm

beat wrote:2014 NBA Draft Big Board 1.0 - Page 2 Syracu10
They could apparently use some of that in Sochi for the Olympics. Also functional plumbing, light bulbs, door handles, etc.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:12 pm

NYCelt wrote:Aw c'mon beat; you get more snow than that at your place!

But I'm not recruiting for a D-1 football team.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Outside wrote:
beat wrote:2014 NBA Draft Big Board 1.0 - Page 2 Syracu10
They could apparently use some of that in Sochi for the Olympics. Also functional plumbing, light bulbs, door handles, etc.

and to add clean water, and one toilet stalls would be nice.

Hopefully the toothpaste doesn't explode either............

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:45 pm

All of those needs pale in significance compared to the need for topnotch security. I hope everyone over there will be safe.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:58 pm

THIS OLYMPIC IS GOING TO BOMB

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:18 pm

According to Chad Ford:

4. Dante Exum | Boston Celtics | 10.4 percent to win lottery
Analysis: The Celtics’ biggest need is in the middle. Kelly Olynyk was their draft choice last year, but he’s more of a stretch 4. But there aren’t a lot of those players in the draft after Embiid, which is partly what makes him so valuable. The Celtics could go with Julius Randle here, but with Jared Sullinger playing so well, the need for a physical frontcourt player isn’t as pressing. The Celtics’ backcourt is pretty set with Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley, but that wouldn’t stop the Celtics. General manager Danny Ainge is a fan of Exum, Rondo’s future in Boston is perpetually in doubt and while Bradley has been good, Exum might be an upgrade long-term.

Here's the kid's scouting report:

Positives
Long, athletic point guard
Excellent penetrator
Quick with the ball
Pushes the action
Acrobatic finisher
Good passer

Negatives
Needs to add strength
An inconsistent shooter from the perimeter

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:00 pm

bobheckler wrote:According to Chad Ford:

4. Dante Exum | Boston Celtics | 10.4 percent to win lottery
Analysis: The Celtics’ biggest need is in the middle. Kelly Olynyk was their draft choice last year, but he’s more of a stretch 4. But there aren’t a lot of those players in the draft after Embiid, which is partly what makes him so valuable. The Celtics could go with Julius Randle here, but with Jared Sullinger playing so well, the need for a physical frontcourt player isn’t as pressing. The Celtics’ backcourt is pretty set with Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley, but that wouldn’t stop the Celtics. General manager Danny Ainge is a fan of Exum, Rondo’s future in Boston is perpetually in doubt and while Bradley has been good, Exum might be an upgrade long-term.

Here's the kid's scouting report:

Positives
Long, athletic point guard
Excellent penetrator
Quick with the ball
Pushes the action
Acrobatic finisher
Good passer

Negatives
Needs to add strength
An inconsistent shooter from the perimeter

bob

Bob,

Maybe we should become sportswriters; we couldn't do any worse than this one.

Once again Rondo is on thin ice and we need to consider a point guard (yawn).  What's more, we should maybe draft a point guard with no US playing experience who never played college ball.  His other suggestion is that we take yet another undersized power forward, and a freshman at that.  Inspiring.

Well, heck yeah.  And while we're at it let's see if Miami will take Wallace and give us LeBron, even up.  Why not?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:09 pm

NYCelt,

I'd rather have Wallace. Getting Lebron under any circumstances would make me seriously consider becoming a Laker's fan.

Do pundits like this one consider how long a really good young point guard would hang around if he had to play behind Rondo?

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:14 pm

sam wrote:NYCelt,

I'd rather have Wallace.  Getting Lebron under any circumstances would make me seriously consider becoming a Laker's fan.

Do pundits like this one consider how long a really good young point guard would hang around if he had to play behind Rondo?

Sam

Don't know, Sam, I guess Ford just needed to fill space. After all, I'm sure one can't come up with a brilliant article every time out. One could say he at least met his minimum job requirement for the day.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:53 pm

Just wondering, could Danny do the same thing that Red did with Bird?  Draft someone he knows is not coming out of college this year but will be in the draft next year?

If so, then maybe nobody will draft Joel Embiid, assuming he stays at Kansas another year, and he drops to us. That would be even better, since he could have another year to develop his game and grow into his body, per Dr. Worcester.

Danny has shown a willingness to think longterm, big picture by drafting Sully even though he pretty much knew he'd have to have surgery at some point.

Is this still possible, or did they change the rule because of Red?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:31 pm

Bob

can't happen anymore.

The NBA draft is an annual event in which the thirty teams from the National Basketball Association (NBA) can draft players who are eligible and wish to join the league. These players are usually amateur U.S. college basketball players, but international players are also eligible to be drafted. College players who have finished their four-year college eligibility are automatically eligible for selection, while the underclassmen have to declare their eligibility and give up their remaining college eligibility.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:39 pm

Beat, this may not be a factor, but the definition of a collegiate underclassman is a freshman or a sophomore. Larry Bird was what I believe was called a "Junior Eligible" when Red drafted him, meaning Larry had already been four years out of high school. I guess it couldn't happen with Embiid, but I'm sure it could never happen again.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:33 am

112288 wrote:THIS OLYMPIC IS GOING TO BOMB

Well, I for one am really going to miss 112288 at our gathering once Homeland Security locks him up. There's no limit to how paranoid those agencies get, and certain words are sure to set off their NSA tripwire.

Speaking of bombing at the Olympics. One of my good friends bought a cabin in North Carolina years after Rudolph the bomber was captured. Upon going up to the unused attic for the first time my friend found all these trail maps and Olympics related stuff left behind by the bomber when he'd been in hiding. Spooky stuff to find. Spookier still is I knew Rudolph's mom who lives in Sarasota. Talk about a tough cross for any parent to bear. I thought I had it bad when my son would wear the occasional Kobe Bryant jersey.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2