Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC

5 posters

Go down

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Empty Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:27 pm

OK, I'm a convert.  No, not that...to the Jabari Parker goes #1 in the draft camp.
Michael and I went to Durham, NC and caught the Duke vs UNC game Saturday.  Incredible experience.  It's said that no other pro or college gym rocks like this, especially for this annual matchup, and I believe it.  Biggest rivalry in basketball and among the biggest in all of sports, it lived up to its hype.  Several pics and thoughts follow below...

Here's Michael with #1 national HS recruit and top Duke signee Jahlil Okafor.  You're looking at the possible #1 pick in the 2015 NBA draft.  The one on the left, that is.  Jahlil now knows Mike plays point guard and is saving an alley-oop for him down the road.

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Img_2013

Post game (below); the jersey number may match the draft position.  Too many pundits try and pidgeon-hole or compare Parker to past or present NBA players.  They forget that Parker literally has NO position.  Coach Krzyzewski told Parker upon recruiting him, there would be no position for him because that would restrict his game and box him in.  He does everything from the opening jump to intitiating plays, and does it all well.  There  is no visible hole in his game.  We saw him go off for 30 points with 11 boards and 2 assists, much of the time while drawing double coverage.  His footwork and positioning at both ends are textbook perfect, speed and strength are off the charts.  Watching him play after recently hearing him compared to Paul Pierce made me laugh. This guy is much quicker and far more athletic than Pierce ever was, and that's no knock on Pierce.

Teammate Rodney Hood would be the talk of the NCAA, were it not for Parker.  If we had the chance and Parker was gone, I'd take Hood.  WAY before considering a center.  If you look at NBA champions the last 10 years, how many had a truly dominant center (and please don't try and count Perk or Bynum)?This is still a guard/swingman league, and based on what we saw I think Parker and Hood are going to be beasts in the NBA.  Both will probably play small forward as pros.  

Can you win an NBA title without a standout small forward or two guard?  I think not.  The development of the game over the past couple of decades suggests you can win one without a dominant center however.  If I'm the Celts and I can get Parker or Hood, I do it.  A serviceable center may still be available later in this draft and likely in the next.

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Img_2011

The Duke huddle during a time out.  Having seats this close was really something.  You can see some of the fabled Cameron Crazies in the background.  Tony Romo and Jason Garrett were not far below, along with NFL commish Roger Goodell.  Romo and Garrett may have been on campus to talk with the Duke football coach, who's considered a QB guru.  Romo needs the help...

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Img_2014

Chris Weber, Digger Phelps and Jay Bilas doing the ESPN College Game Day broadcast Saturday morning.  Check out Bilas' Duke blue and white high tops with the suit.

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Img_2016

Krzyzewskiville (below 2).  Students really do camp out there all season, just to get into the games.  Rules are 6 to a tent max and someone has to be with the tent at all times, late October through early March.  Someone's future doctor or lawyer is living in a tent, and painting themselves blue for games. Amazing.  That's Cameron Indoor Stadium in the background of both pictures.

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Img_2017

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Img_2018

The high holy home of basketball; Cameron Indoor Stadium.  Fits half the size crowd of most gyms, at just over 9,000.  Duke can easily afford to build a new state of the art gym, but will not.  They're keeping it as well preserved and up-to date as possible, and maintaining the history that goes along with it.

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Img_2019

We were lucky enough to be invited to the Iron Dukes pre-game party.  It's held in the old Card Gymnasium, adjacent to Cameron.  Just what every successful program needs can be found here; an unlimited supply of alumni willing to reach down deep to make sure their alma mater has everything it needs.  That and a never ending pre-game food and drink fest with all the southern fried chicken you can eat.

My kid is already saying he has to go to Duke.

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Img_2020
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Empty Re: Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC

Post by swish Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:12 pm

NYCelt

Lucky you. Great photos. The college game has always been a big part of my sports world. Had season tickets to Providence College games back during the DiGregorio- Barns years.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Empty Re: Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC

Post by Outside Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:08 am

There's something special about the college game. Looks like you had a great time.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:52 am

Swish,

'73 Final Four; Providence, Memphis State, Indiana and UCLA. Wooden and UCLA took it with some guy named Walton at center.

I remember Ernie D with the Buffalo Braves when I was a youngster. If he didn't blow that knee out he might have racked up even more assist records.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:12 pm

Outside,

Yeah, great weekend and great game.  Attending a Duke vs UNC game was something that was on my "Bucket List" so going with my son and doing so with first class treatment was especially good. One of the funniest moments was when my son spotted Jahlil Okafor in the campus bookstore. Most people were just gawking, but Michael knew exactly who he was and went over to say hello. Turns out Mike's been tracking high school prospect rankings for a kid we know who's considered top 20 for next year and read about Okafor. Duke had him and a couple of other new signees in to see the big game.

College hoops or college football, tough to pick but I think the top two sports to watch.  I've said it before; if it wasn't for my Celtics habit I probably couldn't tell you who was in the NBA.  I'm not sure what happens once players get to the NBA, but it isn't good.  Must be the money makes them too comfortable and the 82 game grind dulls their skills.

NCAA tourney coming up fast!

Regards

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:42 pm

NYCelt

Nice pic's, glad you and Mike had a great time and a great game too boot.

Marcus just got back from the ACC women's tourney last week and says the Greensboro Colosseum is huge, (sorry Billy Fuccillo) multiple practice courts, swimming pool quite the complex. He missed the trip to Duke with them but will be heading out to the NCAA's where ever they (SU Women) end up.

Finding Religion and Making Draft Picks; Duke vs UNC Greens10

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:10 pm

NYCelt wrote:'73 Final Four; Providence, Memphis State, Indiana and UCLA.  Wooden and UCLA took it with some guy named Walton at center.
In the championship game, Walton made 21 of 22 shots plus a couple of free throws for 44 points. It's the greatest performance by a player I've seen in a championship game. I haven't seen them all, and others have put up what could be argued as equally impressive statistics, but Walton was an absolute wonder to behold. There were a lot of other great players in that game, but Walton rose to a level far above them.

It was quintessential Walton -- he played as great as anyone can play, he played with incredible joy, panache, and athleticism, and he got injured in the second half.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:11 pm

beat,

Marcus is obviously enjoying his Freshman year; looks like SU was the perfect pick.

I laughed at the Billy Fucillo reference.  I guess despite what looks like a clown act the guy is moving cars like no one else. Supposedly he's Houston, TX based and now has dealerships in several other states too.

For those not from our area (western and central/upstate NY) who haven't had the pleasure of seeing a Billy Fucillo ad...

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:38 pm

NYCelt,

I am sure this is an experience that Michael will remember his whole life. Great pictures too.

Keep up the good work with your future Lakers point guard. :-)
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:53 pm

That loss to Memphis State is the worst basketball loss that I have ever had to endure in my 66 years as a basketball fan. Up by 13 when Marvin Barns went down with the knee injury.I was looking forward to a UCLA finals match-up. That was one helluva performance by Walton in the finals.While Walton and company were pretty unbeatable, to this day I still wonder how the Friars would have fared if Marvin Barns had been available to lead them into the finals. See, its still on my mind 40 years later.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:10 pm

TJ,

You'll be happy to know he wore #24 this year, although I have successfully converted him to a Celtics fan.  Well, actually I think Sam, 112288, BobC and MrKleen, along with others, may have performed the actual exorcism and conversion last season in Boston.

Swish,

The painful memories from having your team drop the big one never leave.  For me it was my Orioles dropping The Series 4-3 to The Pirates after being up 3-1.  Had a laundry bet with my roommate when the O's were up that didn't end up pretty.  Nothing like having an entire dorm parade by watching you do all of your roomie's wash.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down