A discussion Tommy wanted no part of

+2
gyso
steve3344
6 posters

Go down

A discussion Tommy wanted no part of Empty A discussion Tommy wanted no part of

Post by steve3344 Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:02 am

Funny moment during the Heat game tonight when Mike Gorman started talking with Tommy Heinsohn about the possibility of the Celtics retiring the numbers of Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce and then mentioned Ray Allen was asked how he would feel if the Celtics retired his number. After reporting that Ray said he hadn't thought about it much, Gorman asked Tommy, "Do you have any thoughts about that?

You could literally feel the chill coming, when after a second or so pause, Tommy coldly said, "No."

Gorman quickly changed the topic and moved on.

Pretty funny. What a way to put your partner in an uncomfortable position.

After all, what could Tommy have said that wouldn't have been highly controversial? If came out in favor of it he would have riled up a lot of Celtic fans who are still upset at the way Ray left and if he said he was not for it he might have come off like he didn't appreciate what Ray contributed to the Celtics '08 title and other deep runs in that era.

Can't believe Gorman actually asked him that on the air.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

A discussion Tommy wanted no part of Empty Re: A discussion Tommy wanted no part of

Post by steve3344 Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:38 am

Feel free to remove this thread. I taped the game and watched it without seeing the Game On thread where sam already mentioned this as it happened.

Cracked me up tho. Great win. We're now one of only three teams (along with the Nets and the Bulls) to beat the Heat twice this year.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

A discussion Tommy wanted no part of Empty Re: A discussion Tommy wanted no part of

Post by gyso Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:46 am

Steve,

No reason to delete this thread.  I am sure that the many members of this board have opinions that fill the spectrum between "Yes, why not!" and "Never in my Lifetime!" (LOL).

I wonder how many past players that match the credentials of HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED (one championship, a couple deep runs in the playoffs, third best player in the team, etc.) are not even in the conversation.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 am

Ray focked us and his acquisition was the key to Heat repeating, he hit the biggest shot of season for the Heat, he wasn't traded, it was his choice to leave and he went right to the enemy.....traitor.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:10 am

Hi,
I think RA's number wouldn't and shouldn't be retired.
One of the reasons is that wouldn't be fair when/if they retire Pierce's number. Another reason is if you compare RA to KG. Both were brought in as hired guns. RA has stayed as such. But KG happened to have such profound influence on the whole organization that, IMO, his number should be up in the rafters.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Retire 20...... sure for Siggy

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Don't know about Tommy, but I'm good either way, as long as the team is consistent.

Retire 20, then also retire 5.

Don't retire 20, then don't retire 5.

They were brought here together to win a title and won one; together.

Neither was here that long, and we probably would not have gotten the title if we didn't have both.

Although I don't care either way, and I loved having both here, I would retire neither.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:31 pm

NYCelt wrote:Don't know about Tommy, but I'm good either way, as long as the team is consistent.

Neither was here that long, and we probably would not have gotten the title if we didn't have both.

Although I don't care either way, and I loved having both here, I would retire neither.
\

Bill Walton also wore 5, was brought here to win a title and did. Just sayin'.

Too bad he only was healthy for one season and 10 games the next. But what a season.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:36 pm

steve3344 wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Don't know about Tommy, but I'm good either way, as long as the team is consistent.

\

Bill Walton also wore 5, was brought here to win a title and did.  Just sayin'.

Too bad he only was healthy for one season and 10 games the next.  But what a season.

Steve,

I think that's part of it for me. I wouldn't retire Walton's 5, so why retire KG's? Although It doesn't bother me either way, I don't really think retiring KG's 5 is warranted. Lots of players won just one with the team, and although he made the most noise, it's hard to say KG changed the team culture without the assistance of Allen, Rivers, Pierce and others.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down